Kick off each Monday with the best news and ideas in social media.
Facebook Earnings: Social Network Checks In With Its First $10-Billion+ Year
Facebook reports $3.85 billion in Q4 revenue; monthly active users now total 1.39 billion, 1.19 billion of them mobile users.
Facebook again beat investor expectations for quarterly earnings, reporting $3.85 billion in revenue and $701 million in profits for the fourth quarter of 2014. The company, which had been expected to post revenue in the $3.77 billion range, has exceeded Wall Street expectations for 11 consecutive quarters.
The revenue total gave Facebook $12.47 billion in revenue for 2014, pushing the company past the $10 billion yearly threshold for the first time. Net income for the year was $2.94 billion.
“We got a lot done in 2014. Our community continues to grow and we’re making progress towards connecting the world,” founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg said in a release.
Some of the significant figures from the report (which can be read in full here):
- Facebook now has 1.39 billon monthly active users, up 2.2% over the third quarter.
- The monthly mobile active user total is 1.19 billion. That’s an increase of 13% over last year when the Q4 number was 945 million; it was 680 million in 2012.
- 526 million of the active mobile users sign on exclusively using mobile devices.
- The company reported an average of 890 million daily active users in December, an increase of 18% year-over-year. There were 745 million daily mobile users in the month, a 34% year-over-year increase.
- Revenue from advertising was $3.59 billion, a 53% increase from the same quarter last year.
- About 69% of the ad revenue came from mobile advertising in the quarter, a gain of 16 percentage points over the fourth quarter of 2013.
Zuckerberg , COO Sheryl Sandberg and CFO Dave Wehner will take questions from investors in a call today at 5 p.m. Eastern. The call will be streamed live here.
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Marketing Land. Staff authors are listed here.