Kick off each Monday with the best news and ideas in social media.
Sit Down Super Bowl. World Cup Final Was The Most Talked About Sports Event Ever On Facebook
Now what will we talk about?
The World Cup, which wrapped up Sunday with Germany’s 1-0 victory over Argentina, was the Facebook’s biggest social media event ever, with 350 million users participating in conversations about the month-long event, according to the social network.
Those users — more than one-fourth of Facebook’s active roster of 1.28 million — generated three billion posts, comments and likes related to the World Cup during the tournament.
Sunday’s final also set a Facebook record, with 88 million people generating 280 million interactions, blowing past the 245 million spawned by the 2013 Super Bowl.
Of course, the World Cup is by definition a global event — the quadrennial crowning of the champion of the world’s most popular sport — so the Super Bowl remains the bigger target for marketers in the United States.
Even so, the Facebook data show that futbol is gaining strength domestically. The U.S. contributed the largest group — 10.5 million — of the 88 million people interacting with World Cup content during the final, edging Brazil (10 million), Argentina (7 million) and Germany (5 million).
Overall, people in Brazil were the most active during the event:
- Brazil: 55 million people in Brazil joined the conversation about the World Cup from June 12 – July 13
- USA: 48 million people in the United States joined the conversation about the World Cup from June 12 – July 13
- Mexico: 19 million people in Mexico joined the conversation about the World Cup from June 12 – July 13
- Indonesia: 18 million people in Indonesia joined the conversation about the World Cup from June 12 – July 13
- India: 14 million people in India joined the conversation about the World Cup from June 12 – July 13
Postscript: A previous version of this post stated that the previous record for Facebook interactions during a sports event was the most recent Super Bowl. In fact it was the 2013 “Blackout” game.