“Game Of Thrones” Leads YouTube’s List Of Top Trailers For Q1 2014 With 22 Million Views
The HBO-produced trailer generated more than 22 million views last quarter, helping the show’s YouTube channel win 820 million subscribers and over 150 million total views.
HBO’s VP of digital and social media Sabrina Caluori told YouTube, “This was the holy grail of digital assets. Exceptional creative, highly-strategic media and the powerful use of HBO’s digital and social platforms as a distribution method led to [the trailer's] phenomenal performance.”
YouTube is a key marketing component for the entertainment industry, helping television networks and film studios build online audiences. The Google-owned video platform noted how “Guardians of the Galaxy” film producers took advantage of late night show Jimmy Kimmel’s YouTube audience to build buzz around their movie:
A third superhero spot for “Guardians of the Galaxy” had its world premiere on Jimmy Kimmel’s YouTube channel, which is a great example of how brands can leverage existing audiences on YouTube to drive engagement.
Action films dominated this YouTube ad leaderboard based on paid ads and organic views, with “Transformers” trailers winning both the No. 4 and No. 10 spots.
YouTube’s Top 10 Film, Game and TV Trailers for Q1 2014:
1. Game of Thrones Season 4 Trailer (22,076,856 views)
2. Godzilla – Official Main Trailer (21,564,604 views)
3. Marvel’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier – Trailer 2 (19,504,118 views)
4. Transformers: Age of Extinction Teaser Trailer (16,712,076 views)
5. World Premier of First Guardians of the Galaxy (15,814,352 views)
6. The Fault in Our Starts Trailer (15,472,491 views)
7. Disney’s Maleficent – “Dream” Trailer (13,300,883 views)
8. X-Men: Days of Future Past | Official Trailer 2 (13,151,215 views)
9. Evolve – Happy Hunting – Official Trailer (10,052,827 views)
10. Transformers: Age of Extinction Big Game Spot (8,335,250 views)
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Sign up to receive weekly insights on video advertising and trends.