Google Glass’s XE12 Software Update Adds iOS Support, YouTube, Hangouts & More
Google Glass Explorers have waited an extra week or so for the December software update, but XE12 is now rolling out and delivers a big list of upgrades.
Perhaps the biggest one is official support for iOS devices via a new MyGlass control app. According to the XE12 release notes, MyGlass for iOS “has almost all of the features of the Android app.” The app isn’t ready yet, so it’s not clear what’s missing — my guess is that it won’t support SMS messaging via Glass. The iOS app was available briefly this morning before Google removed it from Apple’s App Store. Google is now saying that the app will be ready later this week, and that Explorers should get the XE12 upgrade before downloading MyGlass for iOS.
Here’s a look at the other new additions and changes coming with XE12:
- Official YouTube app: This will enable direct video sharing from Glass to YouTube. Videos can be shared in three ways: public, private or unlisted.
- Official Hangouts app: Use Glass for hangouts with other Google Hangout account holders.
- Wink functionality: Take photos by winking your eye.
- Screen lock: A new option in Settings to prevent others from using Glass without your permission.
- Improved Play Music controls: You can now use the touchpad to find songs to listen to via Google Play, rather than only being able to speak the “Listen” commands.
- New searches: Get calories and geographic distances by asking Google.
Two features are also going away with XE12: “Guest Mode,” which some Explorers turned on when allowing others to try out Glass, has been disabled. And SMS messages won’t include the “Sent Through Glass” signature anymore — a change that Explorers will almost universally welcome, I’d guess.
As always, XE12 is available by plugging in Glass to its charger.
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Marketing Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
The best news in mobile marketing every Thursday.