Here Are The Top Mobile Call Spammers Of 2011
One of the more interesting end of the year “top lists” to come out is WhitePages.com’s “top 10 call spammers” of 2011. In compiling the list WhitePages analyzed almost 50 million “unsolicited calls or texts” to its mobile Caller ID customers.
WhitePages said that almost a third of calls to mobile phones in the US are from non-contacts and 25 percent qualify as “call spam.” WhitePages added that the majority of call spam comes from aggressive debt collectors:
In its 2011 analysis, WhitePages estimates that more than 30 percent of all calls placed to cell phones are from numbers that are not already in people’s phone contacts and that nearly 25 percent of these unknown calls are “Call Spam” . . . The most persistent “Call Spammers” in 2011 were telemarketing companies like World Wide Commerce Associates (WCA), Grocery Savings Direct and Courtesy Awards. However, the majority of the list was comprised of the nation’s most aggressive debt collectors . . .
The following is WhitePages.com’s list of the top 10 mobile call spammers of 2011:
- Allied Interstate (debt collector)
- CBE Group (debt collector)
- Consumer Connections (debt collector)
- Courtesy Awards (rewards for taking surveys)
- CMI Group (debt collector)
- ER Solutions/Convergent (debt collector)
- Grocery Savings Direct (free grocery awards scams)
- Portfolio Recovery Associates (debt collector)
- Santander (debt collector)
- World Wide Commerce Associates (travel awards for taking surveys)
WhitePages also offers a range of tips to help prevent or block calls from these organizations and other call spammers.
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Marketing Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
The latest analyses, insights and strategies that inspire CMOs and marketers everywhere.