Get the most important digital marketing news each day.
Marketing Day: AdWords 2017 roadmap, Facebook Instant Articles & more
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Who should optimize content: SEOs or content writers?
Jun 8, 2017 by Stoney deGeyter
Search engine optimization (SEO) and content marketing have a lot of overlap, but they’re still separate disciplines. Columnist Stoney deGeyter discusses who should ultimately own content optimization.
- The AdWords 2017 roadmap is loaded with artificial intelligence
Jun 8, 2017 by Frederick Vallaeys
What’s on the horizon for Google AdWords? Columnist Frederick Vallaeys provides a behind-the-scenes look at some new AdWords features from a presentation at Google Marketing Next.
- Facebook slots ads in Instant Articles’ Related Articles sections
Jun 8, 2017 by Tim Peterson
All publishers in Facebook’s ad network can now feature ads within “Related Articles” sections at the bottom of their Instant Articles.
- How a degree in theology led to a career in marketing for Slack’s top marketer
Jun 8, 2017 by Amy Gesenhues
Get to Know Slack’s Head of Global Marketing, Kelly Watkins.
- The brand safety problem is bigger than the news cycle — and so are the solutions
Jun 8, 2017 by Chuck Moran
Brand safety controversies emerge and then disappear again with the news cycle. But columnist Chuck Moran believes it’s an ongoing issue with no quick fixes, and advertisers can’t afford to be complacent.
- Shopify’s business assistant bot Kit is now free to merchants
Jun 8, 2017 by Barry Levine
Through textual conversations, Kit recommends and implements a variety of marketing and management tasks for merchants.
- KLM now offers flight help via Twitter and WeChat bots
Jun 8, 2017 by Barry Levine
The Dutch airline’s expansion beyond Messenger is another step in the bot-ization of customer service.
- LiveRamp adds people-based search targeting to IdentityLink
Jun 8, 2017 by Barry Levine
Its new capability allows brands to add missing email addresses to their CRMs for search targeting with Google AdWords.
- What marketers need to know about the Apple WWDC announcements [Podcast]
Jun 7, 2017 by Matt McGee
In this week’s show, our crew explains what Apple said this week about ad targeting and autoplay blocking in Safari, the new HomePod device and more.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Ad Blockers Can Affect Analytics Reporting, Practical Ecommerce
Blogs & Blogging
- 4 Ways to Deepen Engagement with Your Blog Audience, The Blog Herald
- How to Build a Social Media Marketing Funnel for Bloggers, Social Media Examiner
- Twitter’s New Global Policy Communications Director Has Some Serious D.C. Experience, Adweek
- Verizon to Cut 2,100 Jobs at Yahoo, AOL After Merger, Wall Street Journal
- Yahoo Stockholders Approve Sale of Yahoo’s Operating Business to Verizon, Yahoo
- 5 Tips to Rethink or “Atomize” Your Content, 97th Floor
- 6 Unusual Content Creation Tips That Get Marketing Results, MarketingProfs
- Beyond Infographics: Alternative Visual Content Strategies That Work, The Blog Herald
- Buying a Local Website or Blog and Integrating Its Content, Search Engine Journal
- Odd Numbers in Titles: The Numbers Game of Earning Clicks, The Blog Herald
- Boost Conversions with These 8 SaaS Funnel Tweaks, Kiss Metrics
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- A Clever Copywriting Trick Makes This Ray Donovan Ad One to Remember, Adweek
- Top 20 WordPress Plugins for Business Websites 2017, WPExplorer
- When Large Isn’t Large Enough: Designing With Hero Images, Smashing Magazine
- WordPress 4.8 “Evans”, WordPress.org
Display & Contextual Advertising
- Improve Your Display Campaigns with Anonymous.google Placement Optimization, Clix Marketing PPC Blog
- Amazon lent $1 billion to merchants to boost sales on its marketplace, Reuters
- India Set to Approve Amazon’s Grocery Service, Wall Street Journal
- The real cost of e-commerce logistics, Retail Dive
- How Patina Restaurant Group creates exceptional inbox experiences, Emma Email Marketing Blog
- What Can You Learn From Tracking 17 Billion Email Opens?, Crazy Egg
- What Email Marketers Need to Know About LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms, AWeber Communications
General Internet Marketing
- 3 Things Advertisers Must Know About Influencer Whitelists, MediaKix
- 5 Insider Tips On How To Effectively Manage Micro-Influencers, Jeff Bullas
- How Luxury Brands Are Finding Success With Influencer Marketing, Adweek
- How to Survive the Mid-Year Marketing Budget Review, MarTech Advisor
Internet Marketing Industry
- Date Filtering & Data Export: Making Your Bitly Data More Accessible, Bitly
- Jumpshot Announces Suite of Clickstream Data Tools for Marketers, PR Newswire
- DC Thomson Launches Enhanced Paid Content Services with MPP Global, MPP Global
- Localytics Gives Marketers Easier Access to Cross-Channel Customer Data to Drive Stronger, PR Newswire
- PulsePoint Launches Content Marketing SaaS Platform With Enhanced AI and Machine Learning Capabilities, Business Wire
- Salesforce Introduces Einstein Account-Based Marketing–Intelligent B2B Marketing Built on the World’s #1 CRM Platform, Salesforce
- Shaw + Scott Announces Groundbreaking Customer Journey View Feature, Business Wire
- VerticalResponse Contact Form for WordPress, VerticalResponse
- Automat raises $8.3 million to make marketing bots, VentureBeat
- Facebook’s Image-Recognition Tech Is Teaching 40,000 Images A Second To Understand Context, Fast Company
- How Technology Is Redefining Native Advertising for Brands, Adweek
- Is It Even Worth Working With P&G? 9 Ad Tech CEOs Sound Off, AdExchanger
- You can call it hype — but Watson is getting marketers ROI, VentureBeat
- Cisco: Global IP Traffic From Smartphones Will Quadruple by 2021, Wireless Week
- Is Snapchat Quietly Redefining Local?, Street Fight
- The 7 most innovative mobile partners for retailers and publishers, VentureBeat
- Advertisers Need To Take Control Of Brand Safety, AdExchanger
- 10 Publicly Traded Companies That Hit A Home Run With Their Social Media Strategy in 2017, Social Media Explorer
- 5 Ways to Increase Engagement on Instagram, Convince and Convert
- 6 Interesting Ways You Can Use Twitter Polls, Search Engine Journal
- Consumer Insights for Finance with Twitter Data, Twitter
- Demystifying the Facebook Pixel, Amy Porterfield
- Envisioning an Effective Father’s Day Social Strategy, MarTech Advisor
- Five things we learned from launching a Facebook Messenger chatbot, Econsultancy
- Fortune 500 CEO Social Media Usage, Preferences, Followers, MarketingProfs
- I want my Snap TV: Snapchat’s move into show business shows early promise, Digiday
- Can Lumen5’s AI Really Create Marketing Videos Automatically? Read On, Small Biz Trends
- New Medium, New Rules: Video Advertising in the Mobile Age, Facebook for Business
- The Future of Video in Marketing: Video Ads Drive Sales, MarketingProfs