The latest analyses, insights and strategies that inspire CMOs and marketers everywhere.
Marketing Day: Amazon opens Black Friday store, IAB mobile report & new Twitter tool
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- SMX West is back in 2017 — Registration is now open!
Nov 1, 2016 by Marketing Land
Search Engine Land’s SMX West is returning to Silicon Valley in 2017! SMX West is the ultimate search marketing conference experience for hard-core SEOs and SEMs: actionable tactics, speakers from renowned brands and digital agencies, networking and top-notch amenities.
- At Amazon.com, Black Friday began today
Nov 1, 2016 by Matt McGee
Amazon opens its Black Friday store with new gift guides, special discounts for Prime members and expanded voice shopping.
- Why all search ads seem the same (and what you can do about it)
Nov 1, 2016 by Pauline Jakober
Want to create search ads that stand out from the crowd? Columnist Pauline Jakober explains how a thorough examination of your business and its customers can help you create original and engaging ads.
- When going HTTPS, don’t forget about local citations!
Nov 1, 2016 by Andrew Shotland
Columnist Andrew Shotland shares some common problems that occur during site migrations to HTTPS and explains the importance of updating your citations.
- So you have the data. Now what?
Nov 1, 2016 by Jose Cebrian
It’s not just about having loads of data; you need to be able to use it. Columnist Jose Cebrian explains why you need to build a solid foundation, shift your focus from the channel to the audience and choose the right technology.
- IAB: Mobile made up nearly half of $32.7 billion record internet revenues in first half of 2016
Nov 1, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
Mobile growth seen in all ad formats to account for 47 percent of all digital ad revenues between January to June 2016.
- Opinion: Google is biased toward reputation-damaging content
Nov 1, 2016 by Chris Silver Smith
Why does reputation-damaging content seem to appear so quickly in Google’s search results? Columnist Chris Silver Smith outlines his theory on why Google’s algorithm can give negative content greater ranking ability than it deserves.
- Twitter will automate brands’ customer service DMs with welcome messages, quick replies
Nov 1, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Twitter’s new welcome messages and quick replies help brands automate their direct message conversations with customers.
- Pinterest pulls ads from Instapaper’s site, makes premium service free
Nov 1, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Pinterest is removing two revenue streams from Instapaper, the read-it-later service it bought in August 2016.
- Is the FCC ruling on consumer data a sign of the coming Stone Age — or the Modern Age?
Nov 1, 2016 by Barry Levine
The FCC’s recent decision, the coming GDPR in Europe, and Apple’s Limit Ad Tracking update appear to portend the day when consumers completely control their own data.
- Survey: Amazon tops SMB Trust Index, Yelp ranks at the bottom
Nov 1, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Survey data reflect ‘hundreds of thousands’ of small businesses’ net promoter scores for service providers.
- Instagram tests shopping outside of ads with 20 retailers in the US
Nov 1, 2016 by Tim Peterson
In a U.S.-only test with 20 retailers, Instagram users will be able to buy products through organic photos without leaving the Facebook-owned app.
- The hierarchy of subscriber needs: Key success & failure metrics
Nov 1, 2016 by Chad White
The only way to keep your email subscribers on board is to meet or exceed their expectations. Columnist Chad White discusses how to use success and failure metrics to measure and meet these demands.
- Report: Apple Search Ads are driving installs with high retention rates
Oct 31, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
A new AppsFlyer study points to strong demand for the new paid app discovery program in the App Store.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- 5 Analytics-Driven Strategies to Meet Holiday Shopper Expectations, multichannelmerchant.com
- Master Full Funnel Attribution with Customer Analytics, www.webanalyticsworld.net
Blogs & Blogging
- How to write a high-quality and SEO-friendly blog post, yoast.com
- Medium adds supports for drag and drop images, mobile image grids, and inline code, venturebeat.com
- ‘Unparalleled’: Snapchat snaps up ad talent ahead of IPO, digiday.com
- Daydream View coming to stores November 10th, https://blog.google
- Microsoft Hits Pause On Its Mobile Device Strategy, www.fastcompany.com
- Twitter’s head of India is leaving the company, TechCrunch
- Women executives left Yahoo amid layoffs, deal talk, Reuters
- 5 Quick Wins for Content Marketers, www.copyblogger.com
- A Guide to Local Content Marketing for Small Businesses, smallbiztrends.com
- How to Write User-Oriented Content More Quickly, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- The Top 20 Content Marketing Influencers of 2016, www.marketingprofs.com
- Three Ways Marketers Can Tell Their Stories Across Multichannel Touchpoints, www.marketingprofs.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 10 Prototyping Tools to Create Web and Mobile Apps, www.practicalecommerce.com
- 3 Eye-Opening Techniques to Wake Up Your Readers with Your First Sentence, www.copyblogger.com
- The Ultimate Homepage Planning Checklist, www.marketingprofs.com
- The Extreme Power Of Generic Domain Names, dotweekly.com
- 6 Easy Tips to Increase Your Online Store Sales, www.jeffbullas.com
- Consumers prefer holiday shopping on marketplaces, www.internetretailer.com
- This Amazon Alexa skill for HipChat brings “augmented conversations” into the office, venturebeat.com
- What are Amazon Lockers and why are Irving Mall, 7-Eleven and QuikTrip willing to add them?, www.dallasnews.com
- How a toy e-retailer increases email revenue 300% with personalization, www.internetretailer.com
- Keep Subscribers Smiling: Use Emojis to Speak Consumers’ Language, www.martechadvisor.com
- New Ways To Make Your Email Marketing Work For You, multichannelmerchant.com
- Now is the time for retailers to blast holiday email campaigns, www.internetretailer.com
- The best holiday email marketing: Content, myemma.com
General Internet Marketing
- Choosing Celebrities for Super Bowl Spots, adage.com
- For holiday marketers, the best gift of all is engagement, digiday.com
- Influence or Popularity? Examining Influencer Marketing, www.swordandthescript.com
- Unsolved mysteries: In the age of automation, why are there still so many media buyers?, digiday.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- CMOs First in the Firing Line If Business Growth Targets Are Not Met, Accenture Strategy Study Finds, newsroom.accenture.com
- comScore and SimilarWeb Partner to Bring the SimilarWeb PRO Next Generation Digital Market, PR Newswire
- Crowdtap Study Reveals Seventy-One Percent of Shoppers Rely On Social Media Through the Path to Purchase, Business Wire
- Low-Cost Detachables and Slates in the Lead as Tablet Market Slump Persists in the Third Quarter, According to IDC, www.idc.com
- Forms now supported in AMP, amphtml.wordpress.com
- Google is finally tackling spam apps in the Play Store, www.techradar.com
- Apple, Amazon, And Android Named The Top 3 Most Relevant Brands In The U.S., www.fastcocreate.com
- 10 Ways to Make Facebook Your Most Powerful Event-Promotion Tool, www.marketingprofs.com
- 3 Facebook Campaign Ideas for the Holiday Season, www.vertical-leap.uk
- 5 Facebook Advertising Features You Probably Didn’t Know Existed, www.problogger.net
- 7 Ways to Improve Your Social Content Strategy Today, simplymeasured.com
- Facebook develops Voyager optical transponder, will contribute design to Telecom Infra Project, venturebeat.com
- Here’s what the White House will do with its social media accounts after Obama leaves, venturebeat.com
- How to Reach More Local Customers With Facebook, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- How to Repurpose Your Snapchat Stories, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- How to Use Twitter Website Conversion Ads, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Instagram goes down [update: crisis averted], techcrunch.com
- What Did Social Media Users Talk About This Halloween?, www.adweek.com
- What to Pin in November, blog.tailwindapp.com
- Why Upworthy Was the Perfect Match for Facebook’s Inspirational Branded Content, www.adweek.com
- Will more information in Instagram posts lead to more sales?, www.internetretailer.com
- Epicurious remade its mobile app to show more ‘food porn’ video, digiday.com
- Five Solid Reasons for Adopting Video Chat at Your Company, www.marketingprofs.com
- Periscope Removes Follower Requirements From VIP Program, www.adweek.com
- Pinterest makes Instapaper’s premium features free for all, venturebeat.com
- U.S. election results LIVE on YouTube, youtube.googleblog.com
- Update: Improving Content ID for creators, youtube-creators.googleblog.com
- YouTube adds a healthy glow to Ipsy and other makeup e-retailers, www.internetretailer.com
- YouTube strikes ‘landmark’ music licensing deal in Germany after more than 7 years of blocked videos, venturebeat.com