Get the most important digital marketing news each day.
Marketing Day: Amazon private labels, Facebook video ads & Google’s Gboard
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- WSJ: Amazon will soon be offering more private-label brands
May 16, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
Products will range from household goods to nuts, spices, coffee, tea and baby products.
- [WATCH] Marketing Land Live #13: Banned PPC ads, Facebook’s trending controversy & more
May 16, 2016 by Matt McGee
In our latest show, we talk about why Google and Bing banned different types of ads, the impact of Facebook’s Trending Topics controversy and more.
- The SEM agency is dying (and what to do about it)
May 16, 2016 by David Rodnitzky
Search engine marketing is an ever-changing field, and columnist David Rodnitzky warns that agencies that fail to adapt will be left out in the cold.
- Early bird rates for SMX Advanced expire Saturday. Register today and save $400!
May 16, 2016 by Marketing Land
If you’re seriously obsessed with SEO and SEM, keep reading to find out what SMX Advanced has in store for you! Register for an All Access Pass by Saturday and pay the early bird rate of $1,895, a $400 savings compared to on-site rates. — The SMX Advanced Conference Team
- UC Davis scandal exposes the online reputation industry’s own bad rap issue
May 16, 2016 by Chris Silver Smith
Following the UC Davis scandal, the online reputation management (ORM) industry was left with a bad reputation. Columnist Chris Silver Smith explains how ORM is misunderstood and why it’s necessary to address huge online reputation issues.
- Now emails can now stay on Google Customer Match lists indefinitely
May 16, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
Google has removed the membership duration limit for Customer Match emails.
- 3 segmentation strategies to maximize profits
May 16, 2016 by Daniel Faggella
Looking to increase your leads and sales conversions? Columnist Daniel Faggella outlines some key segmentation strategies to help you tailor your messages to meet the needs of your customers.
- Facebook brings its brand-friendly video ads to its ad network
May 16, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Facebook’s Audience Network is chasing brand budgets with new video ads that mark its first foray onto the desktop web.
- The secret to email marketing success: delivering relevance
May 16, 2016 by James Green
The only way to keep your customers on board is to learn about them and connect with them in a relevant way, explains columnist James Green.
- Sorry, Google’s cool Gboard GIF search isn’t coming to the web
May 16, 2016 by Danny Sullivan
Gboard makes it easy to find GIFs from the keyboard of your iOS device. But Google has no plans for GIF search beyond this.
- Instagram’s new analytics give detailed insights
May 16, 2016 by Tamar Weinberg
Instagram is testing detailed analytics for marketers, and the result is looking good.
- Report: Europe readying “record-breaking” $3.4 billion antitrust fine against Google
May 16, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Penalties reportedly will also require changes to the way search results appear.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Want To Speak At SMX East? Here’s How
- Google Product Listing Ads officially launch in Image search, among announcements for retailers
- Google to showcase Project Tango indoor mapping and VR/AR platform at Google I/O
- Printing your way to SEO success
- Local SEO: Become the voice online for your market
- PPC skeptics: Are you one of these 6 types?
- SEO for Gboard? How Google’s new keyboard search for iOS ranks content
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Understanding the Key Role of Call Tracking and Analytics Software in the MarTech World, www.martechadvisor.com
- What Did You Say Your KPI Was? Think Again, www.adweek.com
Blogs & Blogging
- Should You Allow Commenting on Your Blog?, www.cmswire.com
- WordPress Blogging Tips To Make Your Blog A Success, www.wpexplorer.com
- 12 Types of Facebook Live Videos that You Could Create to Help You Grow Your Blog and Business, www.problogger.net
- Facebook Appoints Shant Oknayan as Head of Retail, Ecommerce and Online Services in MENA and Pakistan, www.martechadvisor.com
- Google Fiber is the most audacious part of the whole Alphabet, www.recode.net
- Google to phase out full support for Flash on Chrome, www.bbc.com
- Instagram Nabs Yahoo Product Exec Robby Stein, www.adweek.com
- 3 Ways to Find Stolen Content and Take Action, www.searchenginejournal.com
- 8 Ways to Build Credibility & Trust with Content Marketing, www.toprankblog.com
- Avoiding the Pitfalls of Scaling Quality Content, www.searchenginejournal.com
- B2B and Content Personalization: Where We Are, Where We’re Heading, blog.kissmetrics.com
- Combating Clickbait With Compelling Headlines, www.searchenginejournal.com
- How to Craft Inspirational Stories, www.convinceandconvert.com
- How to Fix the 4 Biggest Problems With Content Writers, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Reporting is Content Marketing, raventools.com
- The Content Marketing Pyramid: A Strategy for Generating More with Less, www.martechadvisor.com
- Using Content Curation to Impact Your Online Marketing Efforts, www.compukol.com
- What Journalists Want From Online Corporate Newsrooms, www.marketingprofs.com
- 5 Strategies for Success in Conversion Rate Optimization, www.martechadvisor.com
- Lead generation forms: Five uncommon strategies to increase conversion rates, econsultancy.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- A Designer’s Guide To Google I/O, www.fastcodesign.com
- The Evolving Future of Web Development | MarTech Advisor, www.martechadvisor.com
- 7 Ecommerce Design Conventions for 2016, www.practicalecommerce.com
- How Delivery Mistakes Can Kill E-Commerce, www.cmswire.com
- Retail Will Continue to Outspend Other Industries on Digital Advertising, www.emarketer.com
- Upgrading to the Future of Ecommerce Just Got Easier, company-enterprise.myshopify.com
- 4 Ways to Measure the Effectiveness of Your Email Content, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Increase Opens with Sizzlin’ Summer Subject Lines, www.verticalresponse.com
General Internet Marketing
- 5 Brilliant Competitive Advertising Strategies to Outsmart Your Competition, www.wordstream.com
- 9 Ways You’re Missing Opportunities to Build Your Brand, smallbiztrends.com
- How Influencer Marketing Drives Profits for Small Businesses, www.martechadvisor.com
- What Neuroscience Can Teach Us About Marketing, www.marketingprofs.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- BlueHornet Partners with PowerInbox to Deliver Dynamic Email Marketing Capabilities, www.bluehornet.com
- When Will Big Ad Tech Innovation Yield To Incremental Improvements?, adexchanger.com
- Whoa: marketing technology budgets are now surpassing advertising, chiefmartec.com
- Internet Users Expect More Personalized Mobile Apps, Sites, www.emarketer.com
- Introducing Spaces, a tool for small group sharing, googleblog.blogspot.com
- Mobile Push Notifications: Help or Hindrance?, www.marketingprofs.com
- The mobile-ad world sucks, and Vungle’s chief wants to make it better, venturebeat.com
- To Head Off Mobile Fraud, ‘Know Thyself’, adexchanger.com
- Every Event Should Be Time for Social Media, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Facebook’s algorithm is so mysterious, users are developing “folk theories” about how it works, qz.com
- Facebook, Twitter, Youtube face hate speech complaints in France, www.reuters.com
- How Audiences are Using Facebook Reactions for 20 Publisher Pages, www.newswhip.com
- How to Add a Services Section to Your Facebook Page, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- How to Increase Social Media ROI With Facebook Reactions, www.jeffbullas.com
- How to Turn Social Media Complaints into Your Company’s Biggest Asset, www.conversocial.com
- Mark Zuckerberg will meet Glenn Beck and other conservatives to talk about Facebook bias, qz.com
- Pinterest Planning Calendar for Holidays, Seasonal Events, www.adweek.com
- Re-Engage Customers with Facebook Remarketing, www.ppchero.com
- The No B.S Guide to Growing Your Facebook Reach Organically in 2016, blog.crazyegg.com
- Twitter to Stop Counting Photos and Links in 140-Character Limit, www.bloomberg.com
- What Facebook Reactions Mean for Brands, www.newswhip.com
- What You Need to Know About Twitter Ad Groups, blog.adstage.io
- 10 Reasons Why You Should Give Facebook Live Video a Go, www.problogger.net
- Big Brands Back Big Investment in Online Video, www.reelseo.com
- Facebook Video Ads: Catch the Wave, 3qdigital.com
- Marketers Expected to Shift More Dollars Toward Desktop, Mobile Video Ads, www.emarketer.com
- Three tips to help charity marketing videos flourish, econsultancy.com
- Why Big Digital Video and TV Networks Are Increasingly Becoming Production Partners, www.adweek.com
- YouTube for iOS now lets you watch videos with Google Cardboard, venturebeat.com