Get the most important digital marketing news each day.
Marketing Day: AMP advice for publishers, bad bots report & eBay’s Guaranteed Delivery
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Emarsys: Verizon’s exit from email services prompts strategic opportunity by marketers
Mar 20, 2017 by Barry Levine
The marketing cloud’s CMO suggests ways to counter the dwindling of email diversity.
- A proven method for building a strong PPC account team
Mar 20, 2017 by Jeff Baum
What’s the ideal structure for a team managing a PPC account? Columnist Jeff Baum shares the benefits and potential pitfalls of his agency’s “team of teams” approach to account management.
- Three foolproof steps to excellent AdWords ads
Mar 20, 2017 by Matt Lawson
With billions of paid search ads delivered each day, it’s imperative to create appealing ad creative customized for the user and context. Luckily, AdWords is designed for just this purpose. Columnist and Googler Matt Lawson explains the simple steps to search creative excellence.
- Advice for AMP-curious publishers
Mar 20, 2017 by Barb Palser
Columnist Barb Palser offers a framework to help publishers assess the potential benefits of Accelerated Mobile Pages.
- Report: Bad bots are swarming virtually every website and login page
Mar 20, 2017 by Barry Levine
The good news: They’re not evolving very fast, and new user IDs like biometrics may eventually challenge their growth.
- eBay to offer 3-day shipping for 20M items in new Guaranteed Delivery policy
Mar 20, 2017 by Amy Gesenhues
With the rollout of Guaranteed Delivery this summer, eBay buyers will be able to filter results that include 1-day and 2-day delivery terms.
- A digital marketing CEO’s prescription to cure advertising fraud
Mar 20, 2017 by James Green
As the threat of ad fraud continues to loom over digital marketers, columnist James Green lays out the ingredients we need to promote transparency and drive the industry forward.
- Is your marketing career progressing as it should be?
Mar 20, 2017 by Matt Umbro
The ideal digital marketing career path is still pretty undefined, given that the industry is quite young. Columnist Matt Umbro takes a stab at laying out a successful trajectory — from first entering the industry to becoming a team leader.
- Google is making a big change to exact match keyword targeting in AdWords
Mar 20, 2017 by Ginny Marvin
Ads may trigger when searchers use different word order and function words as Google broadens its definition of close variants.
- How to Use Network Data to Turn Bad Inputs into Gold
Mar 17, 2017 by Digital Marketing Depot
If you think network data means gathering business cards at lunch, you’re in for a surprise. Today’s network data comes from data owners sharing their information to give everyone access to better data than any brand can assemble on its own.
- ANA calls for independent audits of ads in the ‘walled gardens’
Mar 17, 2017 by Barry Levine
The advertising association asks that Amazon, LinkedIn, Twitter and others join Facebook and Google’s YouTube in this new transparency.
- Google, Facebook to face large fines in Europe unless they change policies
Mar 17, 2017 by Greg Sterling
On consumer privacy, the EU and US appear to be headed in opposite directions.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Analytics, the Backbone of Modern Marketing, CMS Wire
- Foursquare Analytics, a Dashboard for Location Intel, Debuts, Street Fight
Blogs & Blogging
- Community Discussion: Analysis of Your Most Popular Post, Problogger
- How Dedicated Servers Boost the Performance of A Business Blog, The Blog Herald
- How to Become a Guest-Post Contributor to Industry Websites and Blogs, MarketingProfs
- How to Grow Your Fitness Blog to 100,000 Monthly Visitors in Less than a Year, Problogger
- Facebook, Twitter, and Google must remove scams or risk legal action, says EU, The Verge
- Apple’s Next Big Thing: Augmented Reality, Bloomberg
- Facebook’s Building 8 working on camera, augmented reality, mind reading projects, Business Insider
- Two Executives to Leave Uber, Adding to Departures, New York Times
- 10x Content Creation Process & Checklist, Kaiser the Sage
- It Doesn’t Matter If You Call It Content Marketing, Content Marketing Institute
- Long-Form or Short-Form Content: Which Is Best for Your Business?, Search Engine Journal
- The Science Behind Successful Content, Convince and Convert
- Thematic Content Campaigns: Why They Rule, Stone Temple
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 20 powerful marketing words & phrases that sell or repel, VerticalResponse Blog
- Four Universal Motives for Writing, Conversation Agent
- Where Graphic Design is Going in 2017, Epicosity
- Which Responsive Design Framework Is Best? Of Course, It Depends., Smashing Magazine
- Which WordPress Widgets Should You Display in Your Sidebars?, WPExplorer
- Cool story about how a company bought matching .com for $40,000, Domain Name Wire
- Popular Topic at ICANN 58″Two-Character Domain Names in the New gTLD Namespace”, The Domains
- Tracking the growth of .Brand top level domain names, Domain Name Wire
- Dealing with Digital Disruption in Ecommerce Operations, Multichannel Merchant
- How to Use Exclusive Flash Sales to Reengage Your Most Valuable Custom, Shopify Plus
- Shopify’s E-commerce Revolution, Fortune
- Tips on Pursuing Growth with Cross-Border Ecommerce, Multichannel Merchant
- Best Practices for Permission-Based Email Marketing, Movable Ink Blog
- Nearly 75% of UK Internet Users Get Regular Emails from Retailers, eMarketer
General Internet Marketing
- Audio Ads Should Be Included In Your Digital Strategy, PPC Hero
- How to Make Your Brand Local Even If Your Audience Is Global, Jeff Bullas
- Microsoft shares their marketing stack in the Stackies, and it’s awesome, Chief Marketing Technologist
- 6 Mobile Marketing Secrets You’ll Learn in 6 Minutes, Marketo
- Budgets for Mobile Apps and Websites Growing, eMarketer
- Building an App or Online Business in 2017? Here’s A DIY Resource Kit of Free Tools & Tips!, Crazy Egg
- 3 Social Media Tactics You Should Never Overlook, Small Biz Trends
- Facebook will never take responsibility for fake news, TechCrunch
- How to Maximize Your Facebook Reach, Social Media Examiner
- How to Share a Facebook Advertising Audience or Pixel, Jon Loomer Digital
- Humanize Your Brand: 3 Ways to Create a Visual Social Media Calendar, Content Marketing Institute
- Older Users Are Most Influenced by Ads on Instagram, Adweek
- The Beginner’s Guide To Making Facebook Advertising Convert, Crazy Egg
- 5 Charts That Prove Viewability and Audibility Together Are Key to Video Ad Effectiveness, Think with Google
- 7 Best Uses of Virtual Reality in Marketing, MarTech Advisor
- Can brands tell a story in six seconds? YouTube hopes so, Econsultancy
- Facebook Live Case Study: JCPenny, Saks, & Best Fiends, MediaKix
- Facebook Tests Video Insights for Profiles, Social Media Examiner
- How Brands Demanding Safety Could Put Chill Into YouTube, AdAge
- How TechCrunch Approaches Video Marketing & Trends to Watch for in Video, The Buffer Blog
- What Livestreaming Tools Are Best for Your Business?, Small Biz Trends
- You can now save your Instagram Live streams to your camera roll, TechCrunch