The latest analyses, insights and strategies that inspire CMOs and marketers everywhere.
Marketing Day: AOL’s BrandBuilder, 2016’s most shared video brands & more
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- AOL introduces BrandBuilder, a suite of goal-based ad programs and new ad formats
Jan 5, 2017 by Ginny Marvin
In addition to brand awareness and direct response programs, the Beta program includes a new format that offers data incentives to Verizon Wireless customers.
- A comprehensive guide to SSL certificates
Jan 5, 2017 by Stephanie LeVonne
Need to secure your site, but not sure where to start? Check out columnist Stephanie LeVonne’s helpful guide to SSL certificates and get informed.
- Taboola adds Commerce Sciences as part of its evolution ‘from widget to platform’
Jan 5, 2017 by Barry Levine
The acquisition of the personalization/optimization service is intended to help publishers segment their sites for types of users, as e-commerce sites do.
- Marketing automation for the little guy is helping to power the new economy
Jan 5, 2017 by Mary Wallace
Just because startups and freelancers lack dedicated marketing departments, it doesn’t mean they can’t take advantage of marketing automation. Contributor Mary Wallace outlines the emerging opportunities.
- 2016 in review: Insights for search marketers from Bing Ads
Jan 5, 2017 by Christi Olson
Columnist Christi Olson of Bing discusses some of the ways Bing Ads changed over the course of last year and looks at trends to see what’s ahead for 2017.
- Top 10 most shared video brands in 2016: Red Bull ranks No. 1 with 27M shares – more than double the No. 2 brand
Jan 5, 2017 by Amy Gesenhues
Red Bull’s video content share numbers were well ahead of the No. 2 brand, Samsung, which earned 12.4M shares.
- Report: Parents like the Internet of Things
Jan 5, 2017 by Barry Levine
Parenting site BabyCenter says parents find that sensors and connectivity in the devices/objects they use save time, provide control, and add security.
- Amazon Alexa now has more than 7,000 voice apps, Google Assistant coming to TV
Jan 5, 2017 by Greg Sterling
Competition among virtual assistants heating up as they move to a broader range of connected devices and appliances.
- A marketer’s take on the Trump era
Jan 5, 2017 by James Green
From the continued rise of branded content to the end of net neutrality, columnist James Green predicts what marketers may see under the new administration.
- How programmatic and header bidding will disrupt all media in 2017
Jan 5, 2017 by Kevin Lee
Columnist Kevin Lee explains the ins and outs of header bidding in programmatic display and how it will make its way into other forms of media.
- 8 tips for jump-starting your social ads in 2017
Jan 5, 2017 by Brad O’Brien
Get a leg up on your social advertising for the new year! Columnist Brad O’Brien shares tips and tricks for building your social strategy that will carry you through 2017 and beyond.
- Google launching free mobile site creation tool in India. Will it come to North America?
Jan 5, 2017 by Greg Sterling
Google has offered similar programs in the US in the past.
- Medium will eliminate its Promoted Stories ad product following layoffs
Jan 4, 2017 by Tim Peterson
Medium has laid off one-third of its employees as the publishing platform moves away from advertising.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- How to Use Amazon Affiliate Marketing: A Step by Step Guide, smallbiztrends.com
- Amazon to open brick-and-mortar bookstore in Manhattan, www.marketwatch.com
- Apple’s App Store 2016 revenue tops $28 billion mark, developers net $20 billion, www.zdnet.com
- Mark Zuckerberg shares Facebook’s secrets with all his employees, and almost none of it leaks, www.recode.net
- Welcome Limes Audio to G Suite, https://blog.google/
- Content Marketing for Small Business: Does it Really Work?, www.searchenginejournal.com
- Creating a Diverse Content Marketing Strategy, www.copypress.com
- Make it official: 2017 will be the year of native advertising, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- What Content Marketing Is Missing Without Social Data, simplymeasured.com
- 6 Tactics for Turning Your Website into a Lead Generating Machine, www.ducttapemarketing.com
- How to Improve Landing Page Conversions, www.cmswire.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- Five examples of meaningful motion in web design, econsultancy.com
- Four ways to optimise mobile copywriting for a superior UX, econsultancy.com
- Usability 101: Are You Making it Difficult For Visitors to Purchase?, company-enterprise.myshopify.com
Display & Contextual Advertising
- Top Display lessons from 2016, 3qdigital.com
- A threat to the importance of domain names, domainnamewire.com
- ICANN’s top DC lobbyist gets consumer safeguards role, domainincite.com
- 15 Things You Should Consider When Comparing eCommerce Order Fulfillment Services, smallbiztrends.com
- Alexa can now order takeaway from Amazon Restaurants, www.theverge.com
- How 10 ecommerce sites present returns policies, econsultancy.com
- The Science of Ecommerce Eye Tracking: Your 2017 “Vision”, company-enterprise.myshopify.com
- Why eCommerce Product Filtering Is Broken (and How to Fix It), conversionxl.com
- 12 Examples of Killer Email Campaigns From 2016, www.marketingprofs.com
- How to Effectively Use Facebook Ads + Email, www.verticalresponse.com
- How We Did It: An Inside Look at the Movable Ink Contextual Holiday Email, movableink.com
- The Next Generation of Batch and Blast, multichannelmerchant.com
General Internet Marketing
- 6 B2B Online Marketing Predictions for 2017, www.komarketingassociates.com
- 6 Influencer Marketing Lessons Marketers Can Learn from Journalists, www.toprankblog.com
- Strategies You Need To Try in 2017, According to 13 Digital Marketing Experts, unbounce.com
- Use these stats to guide your marketing strategy in 2017, myemma.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- CloudCraze Secures $20 Million in Funding to Meet Growing Demand for Cloud-Based B2B Commerce, www.globenewswire.com
- 5 Things to Consider Before Investing in Content Technology, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Ad Tech Is Butchering Your User Data, adexchanger.com
- Executives’ Marketing Technology Budget Plans for 2017, www.marketingprofs.com
- MarTech in 2017: Five Predictions and Expectations, www.marketingprofs.com
- Setting the Stage for Change in MarTech, www.tune.com
- Seven Marketing Automation Predictions and Best-Practices for 2017, www.marketingprofs.com
- Apple Pulls New York Times App From China Store, www.wsj.com
- Effective strategies to increase push notification opt-ins, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Five Mobile Marketing Trends in 2017, adage.com
- Mobile Conversion Rates Successful Over Holiday Season, multichannelmerchant.com
- Google sued by Labor Department over compensation data, USA Today
- Track your New Year’s fitness goals with Google Calendar, https://blog.google
- 10 Visual Marketing Tips to Master Social Media Engagement, www.jeffbullas.com
- 7 Ways Brands Can Take On Social Media in 2017, www.newswhip.com
- 7 Ways to Generate Leads on Social Media, blog.marketo.com
- Facebook Lead Ads: Setting Up Your First Campaign, www.searchenginepeople.com
- Five things social media marketers like (and five things they don’t), econsultancy.com
- How to Back Up Your Social Media Content, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Mixed Signals on Social Commerce, www.emarketer.com
- Snapchat Faked Growth Numbers, Former Employee Alleges, variety.com
- The Ultimate Guide To LinkedIn Ad Units, www.ppchero.com
- Twitter confirms it will shutter Vine on January 17, TechCrunch
- 3 ELearning Insights That Will Improve Your Tech Marketing Videos, www.convinceandconvert.com
- As live streaming booms, more brands seek camera-ready staff, digiday.com
- How The Associated Press Trains its Journalists To Shoot in 360 Degrees, media.fb.com
- How to Use Metrics to Defend Your Video Marketing Spend, www.martechadvisor.com
- The Live Blog: January 4, 2017, media.fb.com
- The Winner of the Live Streaming Battle Is Obvious…Here’s Why, www.socialmediaexplorer.com
- Video Marketing: Getting Your Company Started With Video, www.thesaleslion.com