Get the most important digital marketing news each day.
Marketing Day: Blippar’s AR ad units, Pinterest autoplay video ads & more
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Google is testing variations of black links in search results
May 24, 2017 by Sergey Alakov
Google frequently makes changes to its search results pages in order to improve the user experience. Contributor Sergey Alakov has collected examples of what appears to be Google’s latest test: replacing blue links with black ones in the user interface.
- Want more links? Be more likable.
May 24, 2017 by Julie Joyce
Wondering why you aren’t getting as many links as you think you should? Columnist Julie Joyce covers why being likable really can lead to links.
- Stop oversimplifying everything!
May 24, 2017 by Eric Enge
The old days of gaming Google’s ranking algorithm are over, but columnist Eric Enge notes that many SEO professionals haven’t moved on yet.
- Making martech usable
May 24, 2017 by Justin Dunham
Columnist Justin Dunham is a big champion of marketing technology, but succeeding with martech requires more than just selecting the right tools — after all, tools only work if there’s good process and culture already behind them.
- Behind the scenes of the Martech 5000 Landscape [Podcast]
May 24, 2017 by Matt McGee
In this week’s episode, Scott Brinker and Anand Thaker take us through the process of creating this year’s martech landscape and, more importantly, what it means for the industry.
- MarTech is coming! MarTech is coming! To Boston Oct. 2-4
May 24, 2017 by Scott Brinker
Earlier this month, we wrapped up the West Coast edition of MarTech. The conference kicked off with the Stackies, an awards ceremony celebrating exceptional illustrations of marketing technology stacks from companies like Microsoft, Cisco and many more.
- Blippar launches ‘first AR digital ad unit’ that doesn’t need an app
May 24, 2017 by Barry Levine
The ad requests camera access and then shows the live feed matted against a cut-out 360-degree video or 3D model.
- Datorama adds Genius AI to its marketing data platform
May 24, 2017 by Barry Levine
The New York City-based company now provides out-of-the-box smartness that suggests best solutions for improving performance.
- 12 email marketing fundamentals to master
May 24, 2017 by Mary Wallace
Columnist Mary Wallace provides a primer on email marketing fundamentals for newbies and veterans alike, noting that advanced technology is useless if you don’t get these right.
- E-commerce CPMs, Facebook Dynamic Ad usage set to rise this Memorial Day
May 24, 2017 by Andrew Waber
As temperatures start to rise and people break out their BBQ grills, columnist Andrew Waber takes a look at the Memorial Day period and its impact on e-commerce ad prices on Facebook.
- Not getting what you want from your outreach emails? Follow these 10 steps.
May 24, 2017 by Andrea Lehr
Contributor Andrea Lehr walks you through 10 tips and tricks to help you step up your outreach email efforts and get your content in front of a wider audience.
- Pinterest adds autoplay video ads to feeds, search results
May 24, 2017 by Tim Peterson
After introducing click-to-play video ads last summer, Pinterest is adding the autoplay variety to people’s feeds and search results.
- Mobile Marketing vs. In-Store Sales: Help! What’s the Correlation?
May 23, 2017 by Digital Marketing Depot
Today’s consumers research products on the go, using their smartphones to find and choose at which nearby business to make a purchase or eat a meal. Most visit the store they select on the same day. Yet most marketers can’t – or don’t – optimize their digital presence.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Improving ROI in A/B Testing: the AGILE AB Testing Approach, Analytics-Toolkit.com
- Why AI won’t replace all human data analyst, VentureBeat
Blogs & Blogging
- How to Populate a Blog the Right Way, CopyPressed
- Amazon Prime Air Pilots Make Noise in Seattle, Multichannel Merchant
- Jeff Bezos Gives $1 Million to Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, Adweek
- Looking to Expand Its Global Reach, Pinterest Hires Its First U.S. Media Agency, Adweek
- 1 Awesome Way To Create Great Content, Marketo
- 7 Ways to Stop Flailing with Your Content Marketing in 2017, Content Marketing Institute
- How to Make Sure Your Content Gets Seen, Convince and Convert
- How to Use Smarter Content to Build Laser-Focused Lists of Qualified Prospects (And Convert Them Into Customers), Crazy Egg
- The ‘Pulp Fiction’ Technique for Engaging and Persuasive Content, Copyblogger
- Too Much Content: What Can Marketers Do When Content Becomes a Commodity?, MarketingProfs
- With Content Delivery, What Goes Around Comes Around, CMS Wire
- Top 5 Ways to Bounce Back from a High Bounce Rate, Search Influence
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 7 Writing Tips From Seasoned ‘Forbes’ Contributors, Jeff Bullas
- Is It Time for You to Upgrade Your Web Hosting Plan?, Constant Contact
- Make ‘Em Shine: How To Use Illustrations To Elicit Emotions, Smashing Magazine
- The Ultimate Guide to WordPress Image Management, WPExplorer
- User-Centered Design: An Introduction, Usability Geek
- .Asia is opening up in July, Domain Name Wire
- Country names to finally be released in new gTLDs, Domain Incite
- Amazon adds shoppable stickers to its iOS app, TechCrunch
- Amazon’s Mysterious Policies Keep Partners Guessing, AdExchanger
- How to Implement Ecommerce Personalization, Practical Ecommerce
- How True Checkout Abandonment Can Be Reduced by 13%, Multichannel Merchant
- 7 Smart Tips for Building a Killer Email List for Marketing, MarketingProfs
- Small business and email marketing tips, Local University
- What’s missing from your email strategy, Emma Email Marketing Blog
General Internet Marketing
- Brands are using influencers like ad agencies, Digiday
- Executives Are Stepping Up on Personalized Marketing, eMarketer
- How 2017 Marketing Can Drive More Profitable Sales, Heidi Cohen
- If you want to improve your marketing ROI, stop spending on social media, Econsultancy
- People-Based Marketing Gets Complicated Quickly In The B2B World, AdExchanger
- Why You Can No Longer Define Your Strategy by Channels, Think with Google
- 5 Drivers of Personalized Experiences: A Walk Through the AI Food Chain, CMS Wire
- A proposed model for organizing the chaos of marketing technology, Chief Marketing Technologist
- Why Tech Companies Like IBM and Amazon Brand Artificial Intelligence With Human Names, Adweek
- Will Facebook’s ParlAI Make Chatbots Talk Pretty One Day?, CMS Wire
- Mobile App, Video Ad Fraud Continue to Plague Buyers and Sellers, eMarketer
- Snapchat’s New Custom Stories Could Revolutionize Local Marketing, Small Biz Trends
- 3 Facebook Advertising Mistakes Experienced Advertisers Must Avoid, Adweek
- 7 Things to Know About LinkedIn Lead Gen Ads, Clix Marketing PPC Blog
- Expanding Facebook Fundraisers to More People and Causes, Facebook Newsroom
- Facebook shrinks filter bubbles with alternate news sources in Trending, TechCrunch
- How To Create The Perfect Visual Content For Social Media, Search Engine People
- How to Drive Traffic to Long Form Content with Pinterest, Tailwind Blog
- How to Run an Instagram Story Takeover, Social Media Examiner
- IPL 10 Brings Millions Together on Facebook, Facebook Media
- Small Businesses Are Missing the Boat on Social, Adweek
- Twitter created an ad format to put bots in your DMs, VentureBeat
- Twitter gets the magnificent trio of shade-throwing emoji, The Verge
- Update on Trending, Facebook Newsroom
- Whatever You Do, Don’t Let Your Snapstreak End Tonight, Wall Street Journal
- EU close to making Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter block hate speech videos, The Verge
- Four tips for creating effective YouTube bumper ads, eMarketer
- How To Use Facebook Live For Employee Communications, Web Ink Now
- The Live Blog: May 23, 2017, Facebook Media
- Twitter COO Anthony Noto Discusses Live Video Tab, Global Livestreaming, Adweek
- Twitter for Apple TV adds live, 360 degree video and Periscope’s global map, TechCrunch
- Video Is Not Display, So Publishers Should Stop Using Display CPM Strategies, AdExchanger