Marketing Day: December 13, 2011
Here’s our daily recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Subway Is The Most Talked-About Brand On Facebook, But Gogo’s Fans Are Most Passionate
Talk about Freshbuzz: Subway, the almost ubiquitous sandwich restaurant, holds the title of Most Talked-About Brand on Facebook. But Gogo, the company that sells wifi service on a growing number of airlines, has the most passionate fans. That’s according to new stats from Fan Page List, which recently added data from Facebook’s “People Talking About [...]
- Facebook Testing Private Messaging Between Pages & Fans
New messaging capabilities for Facebook pages have popped up recently and would be a big boost for brands/companies/organizations. Currently all communication between pages and fans occurs publicly via posts or comments on the fan page. This new functionality gives pages the ability to respond privately to those users who are commenting and posting on walls. Here is [...]
- Infographic: What’s The Word On Word Of Mouth Marketing?
Is someone talking about your brand? Relax. Chances are, it’s positive. And, it’s happening offline. But web site information is a close second to word-of-mouth as influencing decisions. Want a recommendation? Have good customer service. These stats and more were assembled into an infographic from WOMMA, the Word Of Mouth Marketing Association: Want the infographic [...]
- Can Online Marketers Lead The Charge For Analytics & Attribution?
A fairly large contingent of my colleagues attended the recent Masters of Marketing annual conference in Phoenix held by the Association of National Advertisers. For three days, 1700+ manager, director and C-level marketers from most of the county’s largest brands, as well as folks from many of the top ad agencies networked, shared and braved [...]
- Tablets Gaining, Check-Ins Confusing To Many Survey Finds
Wi-Fi ad network JiWire releases a quarterly report based on surveys of its users, who are accessing WiFi on laptops, smartphones and, increasingly, tablets. JiWire delivers advertising to thousands of public Wi-Fi locations in numerous countries. Its survey samples are typically 1,000 to 2,000 consumers. The Q3 data (drawn mainly from US and UK users) [...]
- The Name Game: Does SEM = Paid Search? Does Search + Social = Inbound Marketing?
Do we need an umbrella term to encompass the activities of search marketing and social media marketing? Perhaps. But as I’ve seen various people wonder about this recently, it reminds me of the push years ago for an umbrella term to cover SEO and paid search. Today, we still lack agreement about that term, SEM. [...]
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Google Buys Clever Sense: An Answer To Siri?
- Search Engine Land’s SMX West Agenda Now Available – Super Early Bird Rates Expire this Week!
- The Simpsons: In The Future, Google Enslaves Half The World (But Lisa Still Likes It)
- Domain Name Matters: Searchers Pick Brand Over Quality, Study Finds
- Link Building Tool Review: Majestic SEO
- Google’s New Multilingual Markup Signals New Issues Of Concern For Global SEOs
- Banned Holiday Deal Sites Return To Bing
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- The pros and cons of affiliate marketing, www.imediaconnection.com
Applications & Portals
- Happy 6th Birthday Yahoo! Answers!, Yahoo Answers Blog
Blogs & Blogging
- WordPress 3.3 “Sonny”, wordpress.org
- WordPress 3.3 Update Is Slick: Tumblr Importer, iPad Optimization, Co-Editing Alerts, Read/Write Web
- RichRelevance to Buy Searchandise for Marketing Juggernaut, Ad Age
- Current Account: Facebook Doesn’t Need Wall Street to Sell Its IPO, Wall Street Journal
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- The Seven Deadly Sins of Copywriting, www.springboardseo.com
- Improve Your Site’s iPad Usability in 1 Simple Step, www.getelastic.com
- Saga of a Stolen Domain Name and How it Was Recovered, www.elliotsblog.com
- The Reluctant Dash for an .XXX Domain Name, www.marketingvox.com
- Email Top Channel for Increased 2012 Marketing Spend, marketingcharts.com
General Internet Marketing
- How to Market to Digital Moms and Dads, www.yadvertisingblog.com
- Most Millennials’ Store Choices Influenced by Print Media, www.marketingcharts.com
- SMBs Up Email Marketing, Social Media Spend, smallbiztrends.com
- Expecting more from Yelp, notes.mrjon.es
- BIA / Kelsey ILM West 2011 LiveBlog Day Two, www.davidmihm.com
- National Brands Look to Local Online Efforts, www.emarketer.com
- Apple Softens Stance to Lure Mobile Ads, Wall Street Journal
- Apple Reportedly Buying Flash Memory Company Anobit For $400 Million – $500 Million, TechCrunch
- Consumers Eschew Carrier-Plan Tablets, www.screenwerk.com
- Microsoft Tag adding support for QR codes and NFC, says it sees room for alternatives, www.geekwire.com
- Microsoft’s #DroidRage Campaign Gives Away Free Phones To Those Who Tweet Disses About Android, www.mediabistro.com
- 6 Related Search Operator Tips & Google Doc Tool, www.evolvingseo.com
- How Did You Boost In-House Marketing This Year? (Part 2) 2011 Recap on Tactics, BruceClay.com
- Freshness Factor: 10 Illustrations on How Fresh Content Can Influence Rankings, www.seomoz.org
- HOW TO: Guide to Performing Website Audits, www.techipedia.com
- Why Social Media Measurement Fails Most Companies, www.mackcollier.com
- Companies Worldwide Plan to Increase Social Media Marketing, www.emarketer.com
- How To Liberate A Squatter Twitter Account (Really!), Read/Write Web
- Microsoft using So.cl domain hack for private beta of its secret social network, fusible.com
- Should Your Business Really Be Using Twitter? [INFOGRAPHIC], Search Engine Journal
- Social media isn’t killing journalism – but it is fundamentally changing the system, wallblog.co.uk
- Top 10 Facebook Apps for Fan Engagement and Building Community, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Marketing Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the most important digital marketing news each day.