Get the most important digital marketing news each day.
Marketing Day: Email In 2015, Ericsson Tries To Block iPhone In U.S. & Best Brand Tweets On #TheDress
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Lacoste Uses Instagram, Vine & Interactive Mobile App To Introduce New Tennis Racket, Fashion Line
The fashion brand shows off its new tennis-inspired line with a social media campaign and content marketing initiative.
- The Role of Data Analytics in Successful Retail Acquisition Campaigns
This past summer, the Gartner Group surveyed people some 215 people who are responsible for the digital-commerce strategies within their companies; 59 of the respondents represented retail companies.
- Life Beyond The Click: Email In 2015
Columnist Dela Quist contends that email’s potential to impact brand awareness and favorability is getting short shift — but says that will change in 2015.
- Ericsson Seeks To Block iPhone In U.S. In Latest Patent Dispute
Patent litigation is heating up again. Earlier this week, Apple was hit by a half-billion dollar jury verdict over iTunes. Now, Swedish wireless networks company Ericsson is trying to block the iPhone from being imported into the U.S.
- Google Buys TLD “.App” For $25 Million In Record-Breaking ICANN Auction
Google outbid companies like Amazon.com for exclusive rights to the top level domain.
- What Advanced Social Analytics Teach Us About The Long-Term Impact Of Super Bowl Advertising
How does Super Bowl advertising impact brand perception? Columnist Rick Miller shares insights from social data about Loctite, Nationwide Insurance and McDonald’s.
- What You Don’t Know About Location Targeting And Attribution Will Hurt You
Roughly 15 years since I started writing about digital marketing, I’m still amazed that large numbers of marketers still don’t fully understand the importance of location and location-based targeting.
- Twitter Triples The Size Of The Abuse Support Team & Adds Doxing Reports
The attack on Twitter abuse (especially on sensitive personal data) is being elevated in 2015 with extra staff, better reporting & tools.
- Best Brand Tweets On The Dress: White & Gold Or Blue & Black?
What color is THAT dress? Brands join in the conversation that’s obsessing Twitter.
- Is A Google+ Breakup Coming For Photos & Hangouts?
Google SVP Sundar Pichai signals that the company is thinking of the social stream, photos and communication as separate areas.
- Snickers Asks People To Share Who They Are When They’re Hungry With $50,000 Meme Generator Contest
The candy brand created a meme generator and is asking people to craft their alter egos — and prize money is at stake!
- Brands Ride The #Llama Drama
There was a live-televised llama chase in Arizona … you can guess want happened next.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Search In Pics: Android Caveman, Google Ski Trip & Rope Logo
- New Bing Ads Editor Version (10.7) Now Available
- What Can Businesses Do About The Knowledge Graph Dominating Search Results?
- How I Lost My Clients Their #1 Ranking And Their Profits Exploded Overnight!
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- 5 Pointless Marketing Metrics You Can Stop Tracking Today, blog.hubspot.com
- IBM Forms Partnership With Juniper on Data-Networking Analysis, www.bloomberg.com
- The Top 10 Big Data Challenges, www.getelastic.com
Blogs & Blogging
- Google won’t ban adult content on Blogger after all, www.engadget.com
- Apple Opens Up ‘iWork for iCloud’ to Everyone, No Apple Device Required, www.macrumors.com
- 7 Dos and Don’ts for Writing Your Company’s Story, www.verticalresponse.com
- 7 Step Content Creation Strategy for Epic Content Marketing, www.jeffbullas.com
- How The New York Times Creates Different Content for Engagement Versus Clicks, www.adweek.com
- How to Interview and Hire the Right Content Marketing Manager for Your Company, www.thesaleslion.com
- How Customer Expectations Can Affect Your Conversion Rate, blog.kissmetrics.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- Beauty By Design: The Intersection Of Data And Digital Art, techcrunch.com
- Design Principles: Dominance, Focal Points And Hierarchy, www.smashingmagazine.com
Display & Contextual Advertising
- Many “Dress” Domain Names Registered, www.domaininvesting.com
- The IANA transition in a nutshell, domainincite.com
- A viral photo of a dress could mean big online business for a UK retailer, www.internetretailer.com
- eBay Commerce Network SKU-Level Bidding Out of Beta, Increases Advertiser Control, www.rimmkaufman.com
- Five ways that retailers are joining up their marketing, econsultancy.com
- M-commerce grows 45% for QVC in 2014, Internet Retailer
- Making Emails Human with Data & Design, blog.movableink.com
General Internet Marketing
- How Cards Are Quietly Transforming The Web, techcrunch.com
- How to Make Your Brand Matter, www.ducttapemarketing.com
- Why Every Business Needs an Online Leader, medium.com
- Why Marketers Need to Rethink Influencer Targeting, www.convinceandconvert.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- LazBro and Opt-Intelligence Partner to Launch Email List Growth Tool For IBM, www.prnewswire.com
- 5 Steps to Ace Mobile App Marketing, www.searchenginejournal.com
- Chinese Internet Giants Get Into the Mobile Game, www.wsj.com
- Got an Android app? Not indexed? Uh oh., www.internetretailer.com
- Is Your Mobile Advertising Focused on Apps? (It Should Be), www.marketingprofs.com
- OMG: BuzzFeed’s mobile app strategy, digiday.com
- Q4 2014 mobile site performance benchmark report, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Six thoughts on Google’s ‘mobile-friendly’ search announcement, econsultancy.com
- Tim Cook Says Apple Watch Could Replace Your Car Keys, And That’s Just The Start, techcrunch.com
- What Programmatic Advertising Means for Local Media, streetfightmag.com
- How Facebook Is Helping Suicidal People, time.com
- 10 Key Things Marketers Need to know About Snapchat’s Discover, contently.com
- 3 Customer Trust Factors To Boost Your Social Media Results, heidicohen.com
- 4 Key Strategies for Smarter Social CEOs, www.adweek.com
- 5 Key Things Marketers Need to Know About Facebook Cinemagraphs, contently.com
- 5 Steps for Successfully Measuring Social Media ROI, smallbiztrends.com
- 5 Ways to Increase Organic Reach on Facebook, www.searchenginejournal.com
- Audience Profile: What @Hurley’s Top Tweets Can Teach Us, simplymeasured.com
- Brand Advice From Generation Z Social-Media Influencers, adage.com
- Facebook stops defining gender for its users, www.theverge.com
- Facebook’s Inventory-Ads Rollout Foreshadows An Ad Tech Ecosystem Reset, adexchanger.com
- How @MTV Asks Fans for Favorites Then Shares Them on Twitter, simplymeasured.com
- How Marketers Use Social to Promote Events, www.emarketer.com
- March Madness Marketers Should Study the NBA for a Winning Instagram Strategy, www.adweek.com
- Marketers win through an always-on mix of organic and Promoted Tweets, www.Twitter.com
- Pinterest’s new monetization rules inflict pain on ‘pinfluencers’, digiday.com
- SeatGeek, Ticketmaster leverage Twitter to boost ticket sales, Internet Retailer
- Social Media Image Sizes Guide 2015, www.blogherald.com
- The 2015 Guide to Facebook Engagement, www.amyporterfield.com
- The Science of Posting on Social Media, www.adweek.com
- Victoria’s Secret Runs Snapchat Ads Between People Articles, Ad Age
- Wake-Up Call from Facebook: TV Ad Pricing Needs to Change, adage.com
- Why You Need to Say Goodbye to Fake Followers, blog.tailwindapp.com
- 3 Rules for Better Video Marketing, www.convinceandconvert.com
- TubeMogul Talks Programmatic Direct In Video, As Q4 Revenue Rises 64%, adexchanger.com
- Video Advertisers Increase Cross-Device Campaigns, www.emarketer.com
- Vimeo Finally Adds Chromecast Support Via Its iOS App, techcrunch.com
- Why net neutrality is great for video providers, digiday.com
- YouTube’s subscription service struggles to take off, digiday.com