The latest analyses, insights and strategies that inspire CMOs and marketers everywhere.
Marketing Day: Email marketing, Google AdSense & Instagram video ads
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- The human side to SEO: the power of personas
Aug 24, 2016 by Ryan Shelley
On a fundamental level, effective search engine optimization (SEO) is about creating connections with your target audience. Columnist Ryan Shelley shows how personas can help you achieve these connections.
- Why the best email marketing happens when you don’t hit “send”
Aug 24, 2016 by Cynthia Price
Email automation can help marketers win with the inbox. Contributor Cynthia Price shares tips for using email automation to engage with consumers.
- Integrate lifetime value to benefit a customer-led SEO strategy
Aug 24, 2016 by Chris Liversidge
Columnist Chris Liversidge explains why fixing your analytics gaps and taking lifetime customer value into account can lead to better results in your organic search initiatives.
- It’s time to up your game on social media
Aug 24, 2016 by Digital Marketing Depot
Modern social media marketing is still marketing. So if you understand your audience by listening, and if you publish content that resonates, engage them and measure your success, you will make great social strides in this digital world.
- Fuisz partners with Sizmek for automated object-recognition in video ads
Aug 24, 2016 by Barry Levine
The partnership is the first full integration between the interactive video provider and a major ad server.
- Major internet companies support Yelp in case that threatens online reviews
Aug 24, 2016 by Greg Sterling
If the Hassell decision stands it would enable business owners to sue right and left over critical reviews and could eventually suppress online speech.
- Do the Moz & Raven retreats back to basics signal the rise of point solutions over marketing suites?
Aug 24, 2016 by Chris Elwell
After years of martech companies assembling and launching all-in-one marketing suites, recent news suggests the tide has turned. Contributor and Third Door Media CEO Chris Elwell suggests what this might mean — renewed focus on single-point solutions and on the bottom line.
- Chasm between GRP and digital metrics highlights need for cross-screen standards
Aug 24, 2016 by Matt Nitzberg
Columnist Matt Nitzberg says we need to bridge the gap between gross rating points and digital metrics and move towards using data standards that work across screens.
- Google removes AdSense 3-ads-per-page limit, focuses on content-to-ad balance
Aug 24, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
With mobile, the ads-per-page limit lost relevancy. The update gives Google more discretion.
- Report: Video ads on Instagram are more common and getting longer
Aug 23, 2016 by Greg Sterling
The average video ad length jumped from 15 seconds in January to 25 seconds in June.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Oracle finds marketers are sold on social, still getting their feet wet in mobile
- Optimizing your internal link structure
- 3 things every PPC beginner needs to try
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Analytics Are the No. 1 Marketing Technology, www.emarketer.com
- An Exclusive Look at How AI and Machine Learning Work at Apple, backchannel.com
- Exclusive: BuzzFeed Divides Its News and Entertainment Divisions in Company-Wide Reorganization, www.vanityfair.com
- How Apple has performed since Tim Cook took over from Steve Jobs, qz.com
- Project Loon is Latest Google Research Project to Get a New Business Leader, www.bloomberg.com
- 15 Experts Reveal the No. 1 Thing You Should Do in Content Marketing, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- 7 Signals You Can’t Ignore With Your Content Marketing Metrics, www.jeffbullas.com
- Branded Content Is Here to Stay, www.socialmediaexplorer.com
- Execs Create Thought Leadership Content to Stand Out, www.emarketer.com
- How To Really Make A Content Marketing Strategy, www.searchenginepeople.com
- Scripps Networks Interactive’s Recipe For Platform-Specific Content, adexchanger.com
- How To Create Facebook Lead Ads That Convert, www.wordstream.com
- Why Comparison Shoppers Aren’t Converting for You (and How to Fix It), conversionxl.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- How to Write a Headline for Facebook, Twitter and Search, blog.bufferapp.com
- How to Write Winning Ad Copy on Facebook, 3qdigital.com
- Mozilla invites the internet to design its new logo. What could possibly go wrong?, digiday.com
- We’re Only Just Beginning To Understand How Color Impacts Users, www.fastcodesign.com
- Which restaurants deliver the best mobile web UX?, econsultancy.com
- 40% of banks in the US have registered a .bank domain, econsultancy.com
- Domain names that get around: are they worth less?, domainnamewire.com
- How three beauty ecommerce sites integrate editorial content, econsultancy.com
- The Digital Dash: Strategies to Keep Pace With Your Customers, www.cmswire.com
- What would Alexa do?, venturebeat.com
- 11 Surefire Secrets to Standout Subject Lines, blogs.constantcontact.com
- 7 Eye-Catching Email Subject Lines to Catapult Your Open Rates, unbounce.com
- An inside look at Convince & Convert’s email marketing strategy, myemma.com
- How to Write Email Content for Short Attention Spans, movableink.com
- The basics of email marketing, yoast.com
- What Does “Going Pro” Mean for Your Email Marketing?, www.verticalresponse.com
- When Should You Switch Up Your Email Template?, blogs.constantcontact.com
General Internet Marketing
- ‘People go after a name, not a connection’: Marketers sound off on what’s wrong in influencer marketing, digiday.com
- Brand Commerce: A new planning model for marketers, econsultancy.com
- Can Your Business Benefit from Influencer Marketing? Intellifluence Says Yes, smallbiztrends.com
- Do You Use the One Magic Question to Guide Your Marketing?, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Why Marketers Fail at Influencer Marketing (Report), www.adweek.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Antavo and Emarsys Partner to Provide Powerful E-commerce Loyalty Programs to Further Strengthen Customer Retention and Increase Customer Lifetime Value, www.globenewswire.com
- Introducing Contently Social, contently.com
- Mood Media Hands the Customer a Virtual Remote Control to Influence Their In-Store Music Experience, www.businesswire.com
- ScribbleLive Acquires Linkdex, The Enterprise SEO Platform, www.scribblelive.com
- Ad Tech Heats Up, Attracts Kobe Bryant’s Interest, www.cmswire.com
- Building Your MarTech Stack: Selection Strategies for Success, www.cmswire.com
- Who Is Responsible for Marketing Technology Purchase Decisions?, www.marketingprofs.com
- Facebook Messenger Testing Feature That Makes It More Independent From Facebook, www.thestreet.com
- Managing a Local Web Presence from an iPhone, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Creative Spotlight: How to Build Authority as an Online Writer, www.copypress.com
- 5 Golden Rules for Engaging Your Social Media Audience, smallbiztrends.com
- Facebook Page Design Changes: What Marketers Need to Know, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- How Are Journalists Using Social Media? (Report), www.adweek.com
- How Businesses Are Starting to Use Instagram Stories, blog.business.instagram.com
- Reaching Your Golden Influencers with Content Through LinkedIn Ads, moz.com
- Snapchat Is Tearing Up the Social Media ROI Rulebook (and That’s Good), www.adweek.com
- Social Marketers, CMO’s Are Most Worried About These Things, simplymeasured.com
- Twitter’s new button lets you accept private messages from your website, techcrunch.com
- Why Twitter Can’t Shake Its Harassment Problem, www.wsj.com
- For some reason, Facebook is testing video with autoplay sound, mashable.com
- Has Your Company Found Its Video Marketing Leader?, www.thesaleslion.com
- How Facebook Live Will Impact the Near Future of Video Advertising, www.adweek.com
- Inside Backstage: YouTube’s plan to bring photos, polls, and text to the video service, venturebeat.com
- Live video minus Facebook equals Alively, techcrunch.com
- The Live Blog: August 23, 2016, media.fb.com
- YouTube gets a new TV app, techcrunch.com