Get the most important digital marketing news each day.
Marketing Day: Facebook Lead Ads, Apple To Close iAd’s App Network & Super Bowl 50 Ads
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Facebook Lead Ads Get More Features & Come To Desktop
Jan 19, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
Lead ads can now appear on all devices. New options give users more information to encourage lead submissions.
- Paris-Based Startup Reelevant Offers Simplified Email Personalization
Jan 19, 2016 by Barry Levine
The company’s “live intelligence” solution can change a product photo in an email to an image that is more rain-appropriate if the recipient’s weather changes.
- Apple iAd’s App Network Shutting Down
Jan 19, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
Another sign that Apple is taking iAd in a new direction.
- Why Local Search Rank Trackers Fail
Jan 19, 2016 by Andrew Shotland
Columnist Andrew Shotland finds most local ranking solutions to be lacking for a number of reasons. Is there any way to solve this problem?
- Top 10 Video Creators In December: BuzzFeed Tasty Reclaims No. 1 Spot With 1B Views
Jan 19, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
BuzzFeed generated more than 2.16 billion combined video views for the month from its BuzzFeed Tasty, BuzzFeed Video and BuzzFeed Food videos.
- Automate Your Way To Search Marketing Success
Jan 19, 2016 by David Fothergill
Columnist David Fothergill makes the case that automation can free up valuable time to let search marketers do what they do best: strategize.
- Don’t Miss SMX West – Here Are 10 Reasons Why
Jan 19, 2016 by Marketing Land
Are you obsessed with SEO or SEM? Then SMX West is for you! Here are 10 reasons you should attend: 10. Pre-Conference Workshops Pre-conference workshops offer a full day deep-dive into SEO, advanced AdWords, local search, in-house SEO, personal branding, or SEO/User Experience (UX).
- 6 Big Mistakes That SEO Rookies Make
Jan 19, 2016 by John Lincoln
Columnist John Lincoln has been in this business a long time — and seen a lot of the same mistakes. Learn from the errors of other SEO newbies to start your career off on the right foot.
- Study: Sophisticated Bots Outwitting Marketers, Will Cost $7.2 Billion In 2016
Jan 19, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Ad fraud is a major problem in digital advertising that results in billions of dollars in annual losses to marketers. While marketers are winning the battle against “basic bots,” they’re losing against more sophisticated bots, according to a new study and report from White Ops and the Association of National Advertisers (ANA).
- Do You Know What People Expect From Online Content?
Jan 19, 2016 by Erika Trautman
Consumers in the US and UK weighed in on their content consumption preferences in a recent survey, contributor Erika Trautman shares. Can you predict what they said they want from marketers?
- Content Marketing And Targeting Fallacies
Jan 19, 2016 by Rebecca Lieb
When it comes to audience targeting, don’t look for shortcuts. Columnist Rebecca Lieb explains how to tackle it the right way without skipping some essential steps.
- Twitter Sustains Massive Outage Across Web, Mobile & APIs
Jan 19, 2016 by Greg Finn
You may have issues using Twitter this morning. They are working on fixing a service issue.
- Freshen Up Your 2016 Email Strategy
Jan 18, 2016 by Jose Cebrian
A new year brings new opportunities to step up your email strategy. Columnist Jose Cebrian offers recommendations to help you reassess your email program and make it shine in 2016.
- Super Bowl 50 Advertisers: These Brands Are Ready To Play The Commercial Game
Jan 18, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
See which brands will be airing ads on the most-watched sports night of the year, along with their campaigns, teaser ads and more.
- Google Changes Language, Being “Plus-Size” Or “Curvy” Isn’t A Negative Physical Attribute
Jan 18, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
Google has updated its language for ad disapproval for Gmail ads. A look at Gmails extensive ad content restrictions.
- What Is The New eBay Enterprise All About?
Jan 15, 2016 by Barry Levine
We asked the new CEO of the eBay spinoff, following several months in which it sold off divisions and acquired two companies.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Google Revamps Their Webmasters Portal With Clean New Slick Design & Resources
- Link Wars: The Force Awakens
- Google Expandable PLA View Test Displays 16 Product Listing Ads
- Evaluating Link Quality For SEO Campaigns
- You Can Now Install Android Apps Directly From Google’s Search Results
- Survey: Under 40 Percent Start A “Local Search” With A Search Engine
- Why Local Rank Trackers Fail
- Google Core Algorithm Updates Continue As SEOs Notice Weekend Google Update
- Google To Shut Several Search APIs In February
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day Google Doodle Celebrates Civil Rights Leader’s Moving Speeches
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Who owns data analytics in your company? And who should?, econsultancy.com
Blogs & Blogging
- Are You Ignoring This All-Important Aspect of Your Blog?, www.problogger.net
- Are You Really Ready to Start a Blog in 2016?, www.blogtyrant.com
- The Science of Creating Highly Shareable Roundup Posts, www.marketingprofs.com
- What’s the Difference Between a Blog and a Newsletter?, mackcollier.com
- AOL considering brand change, Business Insider
- Apple, Alphabet, Yahoo Hoping to Use Super Bowl to Score at Home, blogs.wsj.com
- Facebook is opening an Oculus research office in Pittsburgh, venturebeat.com
- Former Twitter CEO Dick Costolo joins Index Ventures as partner, cofounds new fitness startup, venturebeat.com
- Google Sales SVP Philipp Schindler On Challenges From Apple, Facebook, recode.net
- U.S. lawsuit against founder of Facebook’s Oculus can proceed, judge says, www.reuters.com
- What The Interview Process Is Like At Google, Apple, Amazon, And Other Tech Companies, www.fastcompany.com
- 4 Things World Class Content Marketers Do Every Time They Create Content, www.jeffbullas.com
- 4 Tools to Create Interactive Content in Minutes, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- 60 Steps for Your Content Writing Checklist, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Brilliant Content Starts Here, pushingsocial.com
- How to Rein in Your Content Marketing Budget, www.searchinfluence.com
- Long-Form Content or Short Posts; Which Is More Important?, mackcollier.com
- Native Advertising: Fad or New Go-To Standard?, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- What to Include in a Content Marketing Proposal, www.komarketingassociates.com
- 11 Proven Ways to Use Social Proof to Increase Your Conversions, optinmonster.com
- Power your AB Testing by selecting the right audience, thedma.org
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- What Happened When I Flipped a WordPress Based Site from http to https, sugarrae.com
- 11 Things You Need To Know To Talk About UX, www.searchenginepeople.com
- 12 Tools For UX Design Newbies, usabilitygeek.com
- 7 Customer Experience Lessons I Learned from the Smartest Minds in the Industry, www.usertesting.com
- How Can Design Agencies Charge So Much?, company-enterprise.myshopify.com
- Nine Copywriter Woes: Mistakes to Avoid With Your Copywriter, www.marketingprofs.com
Display & Contextual Advertising
- 3 Strategies for Overcoming Banner Blindness, sherpablog.marketingsherpa.com
- .top gTLD tops a million as China goes domain nuts, domainincite.com
- AlpNames overtakes GoDaddy As The 2nd Largest New gTLD Domain Registrar, www.thedomains.com
- Coke Unites Brands Under “Taste the Feeling” They Got Twitter Covered But Not The .Com, www.thedomains.com
- Domain Names: Location, Location, Location or Brand?, dotweekly.com
- $83B In Online Sales During Holidays, Fueled By Mobile Phones, www.cmo.com
- 30 Secrets to Marketing an eCommerce Store, smallbiztrends.com
- Ecommerce checkout progress indicators: essential, not optional, econsultancy.com
- First Amazon Dash-Powered Devices Go Live, Will Automatically Reorder Supplies For You, techcrunch.com
- How Amazon Is Slowly Building a World in Which It Takes Very Little Effort to Shop, www.adweek.com
- How e-retailers plan to improve personalization in 2016, www.internetretailer.com
- Late surge pushes holiday web sales up 12.7%, www.internetretailer.com
- Report predicts physical stores will morph into e-commerce showrooms, www.retaildive.com
- 12 Email Tips That Convince and Convert, blog.crazyegg.com
- 2 Common Email Mistakes Even Seasoned Digital Marketers Make, www.martechadvisor.com
- 4 Ways to Invest in Email Marketing, for 2016, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Comparing Email Subscribers Acquired from Pop-Ups vs. Other Methods, sugarrae.com
- How Long Should Your Marketing Emails Be? You Might be Surprised, smallbiztrends.com
- How Retail Marketers Are Improving Their Email Campaigns, www.marketingprofs.com
- Managing the Double-Edged Sword of Teaser Emails, smallbiztrends.com
- Never Share Your Email List, blogs.constantcontact.com
- Tips for Creating an Email Signature That is Effective, smallbiztrends.com
General Internet Marketing
- 5 ways brands are using cinemagraphs, digiday.com
- Five Ways to Make Your Brand More Powerful, www.marketingprofs.com
- How Marketing WON’T Change This Year & Our 2016 Futurist Round-up!, www.aimclearblog.com
- What Trends Will Drive Digital Marketing Success in 2016?, www.adweek.com
- Where’s B2B Marketing Headed to This Year, www.martechadvisor.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Fusion Marketing Partners Agency Rolls Out Marketing Automation Services, fusionmarketingpartners.com
- Pixability Announces Media Industry Veteran Nancy Lazaros as Chief Financial Officer, www.pixability.com
- How the Tech Emerging From CES Could Impact Local Advertisers, streetfightmag.com
- How to Combine Social Media and B2B Marketing Automation, www.convinceandconvert.com
- 5 Ways to Improve Local Visibility Online, smallbiztrends.com
- 5oosh Celebrity Engagement Platform Launches on iOS, Android, www.adweek.com
- App Store prices increasing in Canada, Mexico and more thanks to exchange rates, www.imore.com
- Google Is Rolling Out The Ability To Install Apps Directly From Search Results, www.androidpolice.com
- Google Tests “Tap 10,” A Rewards Program For Android Pay Users, TechCrunch
- Mobile Advertising: A Primer, 3qdigital.com
- Mobile’s biggest opportunity is not advertising or an app, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- These Are the Mobile Commerce Trends You Need to Watch in 2016, www.adweek.com
- Watch out Silicon Valley: India is quickly becoming the smartest mobile ecosystem on the planet, www.tune.com
- What is location-based advertising & why is it the next big thing?, econsultancy.com
- WhatsApp to Drop Subscription Fee, www.wsj.com
- 4 Tips for Managing the Reviews & Reputation of Your Multi-Location Business, www.searchinfluence.com
- 3 Things You’ll Need to Improve Your Company’s Social Network, smallbiztrends.com
- 31 LinkedIn Tools for Business, Plus a Few Extras, smallbiztrends.com
- 4 Ways to Increase Your Pinterest Visibility, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- 5 Tips for Taking Advantage of the 2016 Social Commerce Boom, www.socialmediaexplorer.com
- 5 ways to use Facebook Live for your small business, blogs.constantcontact.com
- Facebook gives brands more ways to convince you to sign up for news, venturebeat.com
- Facebook Pages App to Page Admins: Create a Call to Action, www.adweek.com
- Four steps to help you own events on Twitter, econsultancy.com
- Here’s How Snapchat Became Such a Hot Platform for Digital Marketers in So Little Time, www.adweek.com
- How Marketers Can Make the Most of Instagram, www.cmswire.com
- How to Increase Awareness, Generate Leads and Create Advocacy With Social Media, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Instagram Is Now a Pay-to-Play Platform, www.adweek.com
- Leverage This Social Network Mind Trick for More Effective Influencer Marketing, moz.com
- Linkedin Showcase Pages: Create More Brand Assets with LinkedIn Company Page, www.internetmarketingninjas.com
- Most Brands on Instagram Post Daily Content, www.emarketer.com
- Planet Facebook: 87% of world governments now on social network; Obama is most-‘liked’ leader, venturebeat.com
- The 3 Social Media Rules for Death and Tragedy, www.convinceandconvert.com
- What You Need to Know on How Social Media is Changing Communication, blog.bufferapp.com
- Top 5 Facebook Marketing Mistakes You Need To Avoid, www.jeffbullas.com
- Twitter’s Latest Dedicated Celebrity Apps Supercharge Moments, techcrunch.com
- Two Audiences to Exclude in Your Next Facebook Campaign, www.clixmarketing.com
- Are Video Advertisers Targeting the Right Audience on YouTube?, www.reelseo.com
- Google builds local version of YouTube just for Pakistan to circumvent 3-year ban, venturebeat.com
- How to Use Video on Your Blog for Maximum Results, www.blogherald.com
- Quality Control on Periscope: What You Can Do, simplymeasured.com
- Ways to Use Periscope Streaming on Twitter for Business, smallbiztrends.com