Get the most important digital marketing news each day.
Marketing Day: Facebook Live news, GoldieBlox CMO interview & Twitter search updates
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Facebook will let celebs edit Live videos after broadcast ends
Dec 21, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Facebook has no plans to let non-Mentions users trim the beginning or end of their Live recordings.
- The power of data ownership: Getting it right in 2017
Dec 21, 2016 by Josh Manion
Columnist Josh Manion believes that complete data ownership is the only option for enterprises seeking to engage individual consumers with relevant and timely experiences.
- Link campaigns: Strategy development and review
Dec 21, 2016 by Andrew Dennis
Whether you’re planning to pursue links in 2017 or continue an existing link-building project, columnist Andrew Dennis reminds us that December is an ideal month to review your link campaign strategy.
- The tools and tests that made 2016 great: Our top 10 analytics & conversion columns of the year
Dec 21, 2016 by Pamela Parker
We digital marketers love us some data, and 2016 brought with it new tools, techniques and consumer trends.
- GoldieBlox CMO says his brand is leading the movement for girls who want to be more than princesses
Dec 21, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
Get to Know: GoldieBlox CMO Kenny Davis
- Predictions for the digital advertising industry in 2017
Dec 21, 2016 by Rob Rasko
From mobile to ad formats, columnist Rob Rasko takes a look at the trends that he predicts will drive our industry forward in the coming year.
- Study: 55 percent of mobile dollars wasted
Dec 21, 2016 by Greg Sterling
More than 70 percent of mobile ads seen in a typical day fail to create a positive user experience.
- How Twitter is making its top search results more relevant than recent
Dec 21, 2016 by Tim Peterson
In September Twitter started sorting the top results on its search pages based on relevance, a departure from its traditional reverse-chronological order.
- Small business owners: 3 steps to creating accurate Google Analytics reports
Dec 20, 2016 by Dianna Huff
Raw traffic data in Google Analytics isn’t always accurate. In this helpful how-to, columnist Dianna Huff shows Analytics beginners how to create a filter that excludes spam traffic and traffic from internal sources.
- Trust & transparency: Why we need it more than ever in 2017
Dec 20, 2016 by Carl Erik Kjærsgaard
Can technology help to create transparency and therefore restore trust in brands and agency partners? Columnist Carl Erik Kjærsgaard weighs in.
- Can SEOs make local search great again in 2017?
Dec 20, 2016 by Andrew Shotland
The road ahead looks rough for local SEO practitioners and agencies, but is there hope? Columnist Andrew Shotland takes a look at what recent trends mean for those who serve local search clients.
- Facebook Live Audio turns the social network into a radio broadcaster
Dec 20, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Facebook will start testing audio-only live streams with BBC World Service, Harper Collins and others.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Best of Affiliate Marketing 2016, www.amnavigator.com
- Emerging Marketing Tactics Are Lucrative, but Tough to Measure, www.emarketer.com
- Industry Trade Groups Want To Measure Ads Based On When Rendering Starts, adexchanger.com
Blogs & Blogging
- 6 Things You Can Do in January to Make Your Blog Better in 2017, www.problogger.net
- Blogging is Back, with Darren Rowse, www.copyblogger.com
- The Best Ways to Avoid Distractions whilst Blogging, www.blogherald.com
- Alphabet tried to convince Wall Street it’s not just a search engine this year, techcrunch.com
- Buying Twitter: To save the social-media publication, we should regard it as a public service, not a private company, qz.com
- Global Government Requests Report, newsroom.fb.com
- Here are all the Twitter executives who flew the coop in 2016, www.recode.net
- Snap sets up an office in China, where Snapchat is banned, www.theverge.com
- 5 Lessons Content Marketing Can Learn from Journalism, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Creative Spotlight: 5 Writing Tools to Maximize the Impact of Your Content, www.copypress.com
- The Best Content Marketing of 2016, contently.com
- Time Management for Content Creators: How to Structure Your Day, www.toprankblog.com
- Was 2016 the year companies finally moved beyond button testing in CRO?, econsultancy.com
- Are search engines killing the need for memorable domain names?, www.thedomains.com
- 6 research-backed UX tweaks that will boost your e-commerce sales, www.internetretailer.com
- 7 Stats Ecommerce Retailers Can’t Ignore in 2017, company-enterprise.myshopify.com
- End-of-year Legal Checkup, for Ecommerce, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Go to Amazon. Click. Repeat., www.emarketer.com
- Preparing your retail website for 2017, www.internetretailer.com
- Publisher trend inception: Facebook Live meets commerce strategies, digiday.com
- These Website Glitches Are Hurting Sales, smallbiztrends.com
- What does #Brexit mean for e-commerce, www.branded3.com
- 20 New Year’s Eve and 17 New Year’s Day Subject Lines, www.verticalresponse.com
- 5 Ideas for Your Post-Holiday Email Campaign, movableink.com
- Consumers open more than half of retailers’ emails on smartphones in Q3, www.internetretailer.com
- Your Top 10 Email Marketing Questions of 2016, blogs.constantcontact.com
General Internet Marketing
- 2017’s Top 10 Digital Branding and Marketing Trends, www.marketingprofs.com
- 22 Proven Tips for Getting the Attention of Influencers, www.jeffbullas.com
- 4 Growth Marketing Tips To Make 2017 Your Most Successful Year Ever, www.webpresence.tv
- 4 Surprising Words That Should Define Your Digital Strategy in 2017, www.adweek.com
- CMOs Look Inward for Success in 2017, adage.com
- Influencer Outreach: 5 Pro Tips for Stunning Success, unbounce.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- 45 Marketing Tools to Consider for 2017, www.razorsocial.com
- 5 Tech Trends for CMOs to Prepare for Next Year, www.martechadvisor.com
- Building Blocks: Ted Ross, CIO at City of LA Talks Marketing Tech, www.martechadvisor.com
- Five steps toward marketing automation excellence, econsultancy.com
- How Brands Like Nordstrom Pair Old School Marketing With New Marketing Technology, blog.kissmetrics.com
- There Is No Subprime Crisis Coming To Ad Tech, adexchanger.com
- How Location-Based Marketing Will Evolve in 2017, www.adweek.com
- How retailers can get the most out of Apple’s iMessage update, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Mobile Trends That Will Reshape the UK in 2017, www.emarketer.com
- 4 Creative Ways to Market Your Business with Snapchat, simplymeasured.com
- 5 Ways to Respond to Twitter Killing Off Lead Generation Ads, blog.marketo.com
- An Agency Perspective on Social Media Measurement and Optimization, simplymeasured.com
- Disney signs deal to create shows for Snapchat, venturebeat.com
- Facebook’s 2016 Games of the Year, developers.facebook.com
- Here’s a Timeline Showing Instagram and Snapchat’s 2016 War Over the Best Features, www.adweek.com
- How Has Social Media Grown Up in 2016?, simplymeasured.com
- How I Attracted 195,000 More Followers to My Pinterest Party in 6 Months, blog.tailwindapp.com
- How to Use Facebook Login on Your Website, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- How Your Content Strategy Can Increase Your Social Footprint, www.adweek.com
- There’s a new tool to visualize how fake news is spread on Twitter, qz.com
- Top developments in paid social in 2016, 3qdigital.com
- 8 Predictions for Digital Video in 2017, www.adweek.com
- Publishers start testing server-based bidding for video ads, digiday.com
- The Live Blog: December 20, 2016, media.fb.com
- What Is Live.ly, Musical.ly’s New Live Streaming App?, mediakix.com