Get the most important digital marketing news each day.
Marketing Day: Facebook racist, FCC privacy rules & offline sales
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- It’s not too late to maximize your Google Shopping in time for the holidays
Oct 31, 2016 by Digital Marketing Depot
Whether you’re a beginner or a paid search pro, it’s not too late to improve your Google Shopping campaigns in time for the holidays. Join us for this November 10 webcast and learn how to optimize for search success with Google Shopping ads. Our expert panel will discuss: how to create “quick wins” in your […]
- Micro-moments and beyond: Understanding and optimizing for consumer intent
Oct 31, 2016 by Thomas Stern
Want to reach search engine users in their moments of need? Columnist Thomas Stern explains his process for mapping keywords and content to the customer’s path to purchase.
- The SEO power of portfolio entries, case studies & testimonials
Oct 31, 2016 by Marcus Miller
Content marketing is great, but traditional content marketing approaches may not be applicable to small local businesses. Columnist Marcus Miller explains how small businesses can use portfolio content to capture targeted, relevant search traffic.
- Report: 93 percent of brands and retailers misaligned, harming omnichannel efforts
Oct 31, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Brands are spending to drive offline sales, but not partnering with retailers or measuring the in-store impact of digital.
- Snaplytics launches Snapchat analytics
Oct 31, 2016 by Barry Levine
Copenhagen-based company is now providing what it says is the only SaaS service for brand monitoring of Snapchat.
- Here’s why bloggers give up (and how you can stay on track)
Oct 31, 2016 by Timothy Carter
Blogging is hard, but don’t throw in the towel just yet! Contributor Timothy Carter discusses four reasons people quit blogging and how you can overcome them and stay the course.
- What Snapchat’s Discover ad sales shift may mean for marketers
Oct 31, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Snapchat’s move to take full control over Discover ad sales would consolidate ad buying and could commoditize ad inventory.
- Strategies to maximize retail marketing efforts BEFORE holiday sales events
Oct 31, 2016 by James Green
The holidays are just around the corner, and columnist James Green has tips for maximizing the time before the shopping craze begins to ensure the success of your seasonal sales.
- The FCC passed ‘sweeping’ new privacy protections for consumers — or did it?
Oct 31, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Will “opt-in consent” be buried in lengthy terms and conditions? Stay tuned.
- Facebook’s racial targeting isn’t new, bad or always illegal despite renewed attention
Oct 28, 2016 by Danny Sullivan
“Ethnic Affinity” targeting has been offered for nearly two years, has real benefits and is legal for many types of ads.
- LinkedIn earnings up 23% YoY in Q3 2016 with revenue at $960M
Oct 28, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
LinkedIn’s Talent Solutions were the largest driver of revenue for the site, generating $623 million.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Pathmatics to Provide Nielsen with Enhanced Digital Intelligence in U.S. and Canada, PR Web
- Analytics CEO makes a passionate case against marketing attribution, Chief Marketing Technologist Blog
- Google Analytics Bug Missing Traffic Data For Some Webmasters?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Analytics: Using Demographics, Interests for More Revenue, Practical E-Commerce
- Landing Pages in Two Platforms: Google Analytics and BigQuery, www.e-nor.com
Blogs & Blogging
- Wikipedia is fixing one of the Internet’s biggest flaws, Washington Post
- WordPress 4.7 Removes the Underline and Justify Buttons From the Editor, wptavern.com
- A Tale of 2 API Platforms – GGV Capital, Medium
- Facebook Mobile Ad Revenues to Near $30 Billion Next Year, eMarketer
- Yahoo’s 2016 Diversity Report, yahoo.tumblr.com
- Publishers Are Rethinking Those ‘Around the Web’ Ads, New York Times
- The One Content Marketing Question You Need to Ask (That May Scare You), Content Marketing Institute
Display & Contextual Advertising
- Best Practices to avoid policy violations, Inside AdSense
- MarkMonitor: Infographic The Top 20 New gTLD’s With Most Registrations by Brands, The Domains
- NameJet Should Broker Names That Didn’t Meet Reserve, DomainInvesting.com
- Desktop will dominate online transactions until mobile expedites checkout process: report, Mobile Commerce Daily
- For Success in Ecommerce, Answer ‘Why?’, Practical E-Commerce
- Office Depot launches Black Friday deals before Halloween, www.retaildive.com
- Recap of 2016 #HolidayRetailChat, blog.cj.com
- The cost of fraud: 7.6% of an online retailer’s revenue, Internet Retailer
General Internet Marketing
- 7 Spookily Successful Digital Marketing Campaigns for Halloween, Online Marketing Blog
- 5 Signs Your Digital Ads Need a Call Option, 3Q Digital
- Dunkin Donuts embraces messaging, lets users buy and send gifts through iMessage, Mobile Commerce Daily
- Live Nation Wi-Fi, geofencing Connects Sponsors with Fans, Ad Age
- Why CNN Will Be All In On Kik On Election Night, Ad Age
- Let your Vines live on forever with this Giphy conversion tool, TechCrunch
- 4 New Pinterest Features Marketers Should Be Using, PPC Hero
- 5 Facebook Advertising Features You Probably Didn’t Know Existed, ProBlogger
- How Should SMBs Respond to Complaints on Social Media?, Street Fight
- How to Reach More Local Customers With Facebook, Social Media Examiner
- The Financial Times finds unexpected social success on Instagram, eConsultancy
- Twitter tests opening all web links in Safari’s “Reader mode” on iOS | TechCrunch, TechCrunch
- What’s new with advertising on Pinterest, Official Pinterest Blog