Get the most important digital marketing news each day.
Marketing Day: Google buys Apigee, LinkedIn adds conversion tracking & more
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Facebook makes it easier for brands to cross-post videos produced by publishers
Sep 8, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Facebook Pages can now give other Pages permission to cross-post their videos without those other Pages needing to upload the video to Facebook themselves.
- Should you still be using an SEO enterprise platform?
Sep 8, 2016 by Ian Bowden
Enterprise search software can provide powerful insights and management capabilities, but do you really need it? Columnist Ian Bowden discusses the most common features of these platforms and why you might (or might not) want to invest in them.
- SEO Six Sigma: 5 ways to scale your enterprise operation
Sep 8, 2016 by Jim Yu
Need to improve your SEO processes for scalability? Columnist Jim Yu shows how the Six Sigma framework can help.
- Google buys API management firm Apigee
Sep 8, 2016 by Barry Levine
The purchase adds to Google’s cloud-based toolset so marketing and other tools can work together.
- How the 15 top cross-channel campaign management providers stack up
Sep 8, 2016 by Digital Marketing Depot
In this 26-criteria evaluation of cross-channel campaign management (CCCM) providers, Forrester identified the 15 most significant ones — this report shows how each provider measures up.
- Segment can now combine all Facebook Ads & Google AdWords data for layered, automated reporting
Sep 8, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
The new tool facilitates campaign spend and performance monitoring in a single dashboard, and data can be layered with other sources like Salesforce, Stripe and Zendesk for a deeper understanding of campaign outcomes.
- Email marketing in the age of social media
Sep 8, 2016 by Scott Heimes
Which is better: email or social? Columnist Scott Heimes explains why it doesn’t have to be one or the other; your email marketing and social media efforts should go hand in hand.
- The 7 pillars of a healthy marketing organization, according to the CMO of GE Healthcare Digital
Sep 8, 2016 by Nadine Dietz & Erica Seidel
CMO Justin Steinman shares how he hires and organizes his team — along with his take on the most revealing interview question you can ask prospective new hires — in this Q&A with contributors Nadine Dietz and Erica Seidel.
- LinkedIn conversion tracking is here! 4 things you need to know
Sep 8, 2016 by Sahil Jain
On the heels of LinkedIn’s conversion tracking announcement, columnist Sahil Jain outlines what you need to know to help you use it to better understand your campaign performance.
- 2 ways word clouds help you optimize
Sep 8, 2016 by Brian Massey
Don’t ignore what’s truly important to your visitors. Columnist Brian Massey walks you through two ways to use words clouds with transcripts to help you understand your customers’ input and know what they value.
- Here Media VP has job he always wanted, leading marketing for LGBT media company
Sep 8, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
Get to Know: Here Media’s Vice President of Marketing, Robert Hebert
- LinkedIn’s new conversion tracking will break down purchases, sign-ups by audience segment
Sep 8, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Conversion tracking is “table stakes,” said LinkedIn’s Russ Glass, but the company’s differentiator is measuring conversions against its audience segments.
- Apple introduces jackless iPhone 7 with improved camera, and waterproof Watch
Sep 7, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Apple offered no real surprises during its keynote, but some solid upgrades that will drive sales for the company.
- Sizmek hopes to redefine DCOs with its newest creative tool
Sep 7, 2016 by Barry Levine
The company envisions a new kind of Dynamic Creative Optimization that balances automation and control for creating programmatically-served ads.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- 6 data visualizations in the new AdWords that will save you a ton of time
- Here’s a script that copies AdWords extensions to all your campaigns
- 5 ways ads are killing your site (& SEO)
- Google reminds webmasters that widget links are against their webmaster guidelines
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Migrating an Affiliate Program, blog.affiliatewindow.com
- Publisher Tricks & Treats: Get Ready for Halloween, blog.cj.com
- We’re getting into affiliate links, staff.tumblr.com
- How Advanced Analytics Are Shaking Up TV Ad Buying, adexchanger.com
- How brands should measure ad engagement levels, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
Blogs & Blogging
- 6 Benefits and 3 Challenges of Blogging, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Snapchat Discussing IPO Filing with Bankers, www.theinformation.com
- Twitter has hired a new communications boss, www.recode.net
- 3 Content Marketing Mistakes You Can’t Afford, blog.marketo.com
- 93% of Inbound Marketing Professionals Create New Content Weekly, www.komarketingassociates.com
- Content Curation: How to Discover and Share the Very Content, blog.bufferapp.com
- Delivering Results through Content Personalization, www.komarketingassociates.com
- Four things brands can learn about content marketing from Net-A-Porter, econsultancy.com
- How to Craft a Marketing Story that People Embrace and Share, www.copyblogger.com
- How to Utilize Data to Create Breakthrough Content, www.convinceandconvert.com
- New AOL Content Research: How Eight Moments Define Behavior Around the World, advertising.aol.com
- Using Infographics for Content Syndication, www.copypress.com
- Why Content Marketing’s Future Depends on Shorter Content and Less Content, moz.com
- Why You Need Branded Content Benchmarks, adage.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- Applied UX Strategy, Part 4.1: From Design Team to Design Culture, www.uxmatters.com
- How to Create a Style Guide With Authority, www.ducttapemarketing.com
- How to Take Bookings on Your WordPress Website for Free, www.wpexplorer.com
- Tailor User Experience to the Individual, Not the Crowd, www.cmswire.com
- The Agile Manifesto for Designer, www.uxmatters.com
- 7 Ways To Reduce Your Website’s Cart Abandonment Rate, www.jeffbullas.com
- Amazon will ship small, flat goods from China in less time, www.internetretailer.com
- Close the Gap: B2B E-Commerce Finishes Where Quote-to-Cash Leaves Off, multichannelmerchant.com
- To compete with Amazon, Walmart should cut itself in half, techcrunch.com
- 5 Signs You Need to Update Your Reusable Email Template, blogs.constantcontact.com
- Email Design: Our Favorite Newsletters, www.verticalresponse.com
- How to Build Your Email List: The (Better Than) Ultimate Guide, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Low Email CTR? Here’s Why You Should Delete Subscribers, unbounce.com
- The best emails of Labor Day weekend 2016, myemma.com
- The Biggest Email Marketing Trends of 2016 So Far, movableink.com
General Internet Marketing
- Five Things That Marketing Leaders Do to Inspire Deeper Customer Engagement, www.marketingprofs.com
- Industries Shift Spending to Digital Around the World, www.emarketer.com
- Why the Conversational Power of Podcasting Is the Future of Advertising, www.adweek.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- iStaging raises a US$5 million pre-Series A to make AR/VR an everyday reality for the furniture and real estate industries, istaging.co
- Mahindra and Ola to drive Entrepreneurship and Smart Mobility across India, www.olacabs.com
- Metamarkets Provides API for Direct Access to Advertising Data, www.prnewswire.com
- Quantcast Names Digital Media Executive Keith Lorizio as Vice President of North America Sales, www.marketwired.com
- SessionM Secures $35 Million Strategic Investment to Accelerate Expansion Among Enterprise Marketers, www.businesswire.com
- Taptica Receives Second Facebook Marketing Partner Badge in eCommerce & Expands Global Expertise into Korea and China, blog.taptica.com
- The Washington Post, Education Week and Outside Television Tap Verse for Interactive Video, www.prnewswire.com
- Toluna Acquires Crossense, Provider of Permission-Based Digital Tracking Solution, www.toluna-group.com
- Alphabet Is Using Google’s Ad Technology To Take On ISIS, www.fastcompany.com
- Confessions of an ad tech veteran, digiday.com
- Setting the AI record straight (for now), techcrunch.com
- Facebook Moments App Gets Joinable Moments, Full-Resolution Storage of Favorite Photos, www.adweek.com
- How the Smarter Web will rescue apps, venturebeat.com
- Instagram is building new zoom, filter, and GIF features for the iPhone 7 camera, techcrunch.com
- Making Sense of the Mobile Marketing Spending Disparity, streetfightmag.com
- Pinterest President: Clicks to Mobile Sites Will Lose Value, adage.com
- The Global Marketer’s Guide to Localisation and Translation, contently.com
- The Need for Mobile Speed, adsense.googleblog.com
- What’s Next for Google’s AMP Project, www.searchenginejournal.com
- Refreshing our Transparency Report for copyright removals, Official Google Blog
- Moving Towards a More Secure Web, blog.chromium.org
- Yahoo Esports Announces New Live Show, yahoo.tumblr.com
- 20 Social Media Tools and Tips From the Experts, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Expand your Business Across Borders with New Tools and Resources, www.facebook.com
- Facebook’s emoji reaction buttons are being more widely used, qz.com
- If Women Rule Social, Why Don’t We Make Content for Them?, www.adweek.com
- Instagram’s Most Liked Photos – Regularly Updated, blog.tailwindapp.com
- Publish At The Perfect Time, Every Time, www.socialbakers.com
- The latest college course du jour: How to be a social media influencer 101, digiday.com
- The State of Social Commerce, www.adweek.com
- Twitter now acts more like a messaging app with read receipts, typing indicators & web link previews, techcrunch.com
- Welcome to Our New Publishing Experience, blog.linkedin.com
- What a Social API Does (And How it Makes Your Life Easier), simplymeasured.com
- Announcing New Features for Crossposting Video, media.fb.com
- Digital Video Ads Small but Growing Part of the UK Digital Display Pie, www.emarketer.com
- Drive Direct Conversions with YouTube Remarketing, metrictheory.com
- US Viewers Set Global Pace for Subscription Video-on-Demand, www.emarketer.com
- YouTube’s UX Leaders on How Video Ads Have Evolved, www.thinkwithgoogle.com