Get the most important digital marketing news each day.
Marketing Day: Google Surveys 360, The Bouqs Co. CMO interview & new Facebook tools
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Google Surveys 360 joins the Analytics 360 Suite
Oct 19, 2016 by Matt McGee
New enterprise-level survey product sits alongside newly renamed Google Surveys, the pay-as-you-go product available to all.
- How Trump & Clinton have failed to use free space in Google for US presidential candidates
Oct 19, 2016 by Danny Sullivan
For a week, neither campaign used the special program giving them guaranteed listings in Google for their name.
- Enterprise SEOs, unite! The SMX East 2016 session recap
Oct 19, 2016 by Eric Enge
What are some of the issues unique to enterprise SEO professionals, and how can you best approach these challenges? Columnist Eric Enge reports on a session from SMX East which covers this topic.
- Facebook automotive data indicates broad value of location-based customer insights
Oct 19, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Audience and competitive intelligence reflect actual real-world behavior, not just marketer perceptions or self-reporting from surveys.
- 3 things to do after a major Google algorithm update
Oct 19, 2016 by Ryan Shelley
Heard about a new update to Google’s organic search ranking algorithm? Don’t panic! Columnist Ryan Shelley shares his tips for responding to these updates in a calm and constructive way.
- Machu Picchu and martech: CMO lessons from the Inca Empire
Oct 19, 2016 by Scott Vaughan
What can marketers learn from Machu Picchu and the Incas? Contributor Scott Vaughan takes a trip to the ancient citadel and comes away with four lessons we can apply to martech today.
- There’s a silent killer in your sales pipeline. Do you know how to stop it?
Oct 19, 2016 by Jim Williams
Columnist Jim Williams explains how advocates can help you fuel a healthy sales funnel by putting an end to the fear that stops your customers from buying.
- A CMO’s View: How The Bouqs Company uses performance marketing to stand out from competitors
Oct 19, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
CMO Jarred Goldberg shares how his online flower company uses performance marketing to compete against the bigger e-commerce sites.
- Google shares data on how mobile is set to impact shopping this holiday
Oct 19, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
Mobile is influencing conversion rates both online and in-store. A look at shopping trends that will affect brands and retailers this season.
- Bazaarvoice adds ad targeting platform based on consumer intent
Oct 19, 2016 by Barry Levine
Moving beyond reviews and ratings, the company can now deliver ads to 75 percent of all U.S. shoppers, based on their product viewing and purchases.
- Selling your agency, a how-to guide, Part 3: The mechanics of being acquired
Oct 19, 2016 by David Rodnitzky
In part 3 of a series, columnist David Rodnitzky answers questions you may have surrounding the acquisition process, from whether you should wait for suitors to if you should hire an investment banker.
- What marketers think of Twitter’s harassment problem: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oct 19, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Brands don’t worry about harassment because they have adopted Goldilocks social strategies to avoid being targets of harassment.
- Brands must close the loop on audience segmentation
Oct 19, 2016 by Matt Nitzberg
Contributor Matt Nitzberg believes marketers need to move away from common, ingrained measurement practices and instead take an “audience-first” approach to analytics.
- Facebook adds new tools for local discovery and commerce
Oct 19, 2016 by Greg Sterling
New call-to-action buttons, powered by a network of third parties, will make Pages much more actionable for both businesses and consumers.
- Yahoo Q3 revenue beats estimates, though search and display revenues were down
Oct 18, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Amid overall declines in search and display advertising, so-called MaVeNS revenue was up 24 percent to $524 million.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- How mobile-enabled analytics can help to boost sales in-store, econsultancy.com
- What Data Doesn’t Tell Us, adexchanger.com
Blogs & Blogging
- 6 Tips for Selecting Awesome Blog Images, www.copypress.com
- Marketing your blog, yoast.com
- Should You Launch a Blog with One Post or Build Up an Archive First?, www.blogtyrant.com
- Google Signs Up CBS for Planned Web TV Service, www.wsj.com
- Mark Zuckerberg Facebook memo about Peter Thiel and Donald Trump, www.businessinsider.com
- Microsoft speech recognition technology now understands a conversation as well as a person, www.networkworld.com
- Snapchat wants to stop sharing ad revenue with its media partners, www.recode.net
- Yahoo demands transparency from the Director of National Intelligence, yahoo.tumblr.com
- 10 Secrets Behind Creating 10x Content, www.jeffbullas.com
- 5 Ways Brands Can Weave Storytelling Into News Articles, www.searchenginejournal.com
- All Content is Not Created Equal: Comparing Results Across 15 Verticals, moz.com
- Ask a Content Guy: How Do You Create Good Content in a Boring Industry?, contently.com
- Why Your Freelance Content Marketer is Letting You Down, www.searchenginejournal.com
- [New Research] B2C Marketers Need to Give Content Marketing Time, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- 2 A/B Testing Failures and 1 Win: Why A/B Testing Failures Are as Important as the Wins, blog.kissmetrics.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- How To Build Honest UIs And Help Users Make Better Decisions, www.smashingmagazine.com
- It’s Goodbye QWERTY, Hello Emojis as Apple Rethinks the Keyboard, www.wsj.com
- Responsive vs. Adaptive Design, www.goinflow.com
- 3 Years Later: Team Schilling vs Team Schwartz On New gTLD’s; Who Was Right?, www.thedomains.com
- Dot brand gTLDs-still yet to hit the mainstream, domainnamewire.com
- Guess which registrars sell the most gTLDs, domainincite.com
- 5 ways to increase your holiday sales on Amazon, www.internetretailer.com
- A new look inside the top 300 B2B e-commerce companies, www.internetretailer.com
- Attracting Consumers with Unique Data is the Next Big Thing, multichannelmerchant.com
- EBay Makes Bid for Younger Shoppers With Revamped Image, www.wsj.com
- The Year of the Supershopper, adwords.googleblog.com
- Crate & Barrel recap emails drive subsequent sales, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- The best holiday email marketing: Stats, myemma.com
- Video Email Marketing is Here: 3 Ways to Add Video to Your Emails, movableink.com
General Internet Marketing
- Building Relationships with Your Influencers, www.blogherald.com
- The 3 Most Important Facts You Need to Know About Gen Z, www.socialmediaexplorer.com
- Too Many Marketers Get Total Market Totally Wrong, adage.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- adMarketplace Adds New Publishers to Help Advertisers Find Customers Searching Outside Engines, www.businesswire.com
- An open letter to the editor of AdAge on boring martech, chiefmartec.com
- Marketers Look to Tech for More Sales, Leads, www.emarketer.com
- The State of Marketing Technology, in 12 Charts, contently.com
- Adapting the 4 Most Common Digital Marketing Practices for Mobile Apps, multichannelmerchant.com
- Playable Mobile Ads – A Hot Trend or The Future?, www.forbes.com
- The Mobile Conversion-Rate Peaks Marketers Need to Know, www.thinkwithgoogle.com
- Urgency for luxury brands to adopt mobile clienteling, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Facebook caught an office intruder using the controversial surveillance tool it just blocked, www.theverge.com
- Up Your Spook Factor with GIFs and Stationery in Yahoo Mail, yahoomail.tumblr.com
- The Quickest Way to Build Trust Online, www.problogger.net
- 11 Ways to Get More (Real!) Instagram Followers, www.wordstream.com
- 9 Easy Ways to Automate Your LinkedIn Ads for Better Results, blog.adstage.io
- Build Richer Experiences with Facebook Pages, developers.facebook.com
- Global Spotlight: Instagram in France, blog.business.instagram.com
- How to Use Pinterest to Boost Holiday Sales, blogs.constantcontact.com
- Instagram Rolls Out Suicide-Prevention Tools, www.adweek.com
- Instagram Stories Are Officially a Success (And What It Means for Marketers), simplymeasured.com
- Small Businesses, Big Ideas: Announcing the LinkedIn ProFinder Small Business Contest, blog.linkedin.com
- Updating Pages to Make it Easier to Interact with Customers, www.facebook.com
- What Studying 1.5M Pins Taught Us About Pinterest Marketing, blog.bufferapp.com
- What to Pin in October, blog.tailwindapp.com
- The 3 Rules of Augmented Reality, multichannelmerchant.com
- What marketers need to know about virtual reality – and why it may be worth a try, www.retaildive.com
- What Media Planners Can Do About Dramatically Shifting Video Viewing Habits, www.adweek.com
- 3 Video Storytelling Tools for Social Marketers, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- YouTube Kids App Updated With Anti-Bullying, Halloween Playlists, www.adweek.com