Get the most important digital marketing news each day.
Marketing Day: Instagram copies Snapchat (again), Pinterest video ads & more
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Moz drops Followerwonk to focus on search, lays off 28% of staff
Aug 17, 2016 by Barry Schwartz
Moz, a company many SEOs have grown to love, announced they have made a strategic change to focus more on search, which means they are killing off Moz Content and Followerwonk.
- Top 10 video creators in July: After 7 months in the lead, Tasty loses #1 spot to Unilad
Aug 17, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
BuzzFeed Tasty had been the most-watched video creator since December, but it dropped to No. 3 last month behind Unilad and The Lad Bible.
- Instagram is now copying Snapchat’s Live Stories with events video channels
Aug 17, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Instagram’s new feature collects videos around live events into a single stream like Snapchat’s version, but tailors them to each user, unlike Snapchat’s.
- Predictive scorer Infer unveils ‘first account-based behavior scoring’
Aug 17, 2016 by Barry Levine
The new scoring model is now combined with the firm’s existing “account fit” model to boost business-based targeting.
- How to follow up on link requests
Aug 17, 2016 by Julie Joyce
Wondering how much follow-up is too much? Columnist Julie Joyce gives us advice on how to follow up on link requests without bugging your contacts.
- Should you hitch your campaigns onto the sporting bandwagon?
Aug 17, 2016 by Laura Collins
Capitalizing on sporting events can be a great opportunity for advertisers, but will this strategy work for everyone? Columnist Laura Collins looks at the results of some recent campaigns to find out.
- Amobee Triggers activates campaigns based on a mix of online & offline signals
Aug 17, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
Advertisers can set triggers to serve ads in real-time based on both contextual signals as well as custom insights into consumer sentiment.
- Google antitrust woes: new South Korean probe, Russian court rejects appeal
Aug 17, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Google looking at billions in potential fines if found to have violated antitrust rules.
- Local journalism, meet branded content: What the decline in print means for brands
Aug 17, 2016 by Megan Hannay
Yes, print news consumption is in a funk, but columnist Megan Hannay explains how journalists and brands can actually help each other.
- 3 tips for embracing martech
Aug 17, 2016 by Mary Wallace
Change isn’t easy. Columnist Mary Wallace discusses ways to get everyone in your organization on board with new solutions and technologies.
- Perfecting the pass from marketing to sales
Aug 17, 2016 by Jacob Baadsgaard
Does it sometimes feel as though marketing and sales aren’t working from the same playbook? Columnist Jacob Baasdgaard believes that by working together, these departments can both improve their game.
- A look at Facebook’s carousel ad and the latest pricing trends on the network
Aug 17, 2016 by Andrew Waber
Columnist Andrew Waber delves into data that shows how the social network is changing and how marketers should adjust their advertising strategy to take advantage of the trends.
- Oracle launches ‘largest B2B audience data marketplace’
Aug 17, 2016 by Barry Levine
The new Data Cloud resource provides data from Oracle-owned BlueKai, Datalogix, and AddThis, as well as leading providers like Bombora and Dun & Bradstreet.
- Pinterest debuts click-to-play, mobile-only video ads
Aug 17, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Pinterest’s click-to-play Promoted Video format is effectively a free add-on to its Cinematic Pin format, but one that comes with its own free add-on.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- AdWords Express expands deeper click-to-call reporting, adds ad scheduling and more
- How to solve duplicate content local SEO issues for multi-location businesses
- Now you can share results from the AdWords Ad Preview Tool with clients
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- The Power of Data, thedma.org
- US Execs Don’t Agree About What’s Driving Analytics Investment, www.emarketer.com
Blogs & Blogging
- 20 Must-Have Content Marketing Tools for Writing Better Blog Posts, www.toprankblog.com
- 5 Tips for Capturing More Leads on Your Blog, www.blogherald.com
- How to Guest Post on Other Sites in 3 Steps, smallbiztrends.com
- About a third of U.S. tech unicorns will see valuation fall: report, www.reuters.com
- Facebook’s Point System Fails to Close Diversity Gap, www.wsj.com
- 5 Steps to the Holy Grail of Content Personalization, www.martechadvisor.com
- Content Translation Wins Customer’s Hearts and Minds, www.cmswire.com
- Meeting Google’s Quality Guidelines: Will Google EAT Your Content?, www.problogger.net
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 404 to 301 Plugin Considered Harmful, www.wordfence.com
- A 6-Step Process to Write PPC Ads at Scale, www.wordstream.com
- Is Open-Sourced Design Any Good? Mozilla Is Finding Out, www.fastcodesign.com
- Meeting the Demands of a Faster Mobile-Based Web, www.seobythesea.com
- Photoshop Etiquette For Responsive Web Design, www.smashingmagazine.com
- WordPress 4.6 “Pepper” Release, www.wpexplorer.com
- Hey Analysts: this is what I think about Verisign’s .com pricing going forward, domainnamewire.com
- Amazon launches a dedicated shop for items featured on Product Hunt, techcrunch.com
- Double The Revenue of Your Cart Abandonment Campaigns (Our Step-by-Step Process), conversionxl.com
- Etsy Offers Sellers Quickbooks Integration in New Partnership with Intuit, smallbiztrends.com
- Retailers Must Perfect In-Store Pickup or Not Offer It at All, www.emarketer.com
- Top tips for brands for fighting online counterfeiters, www.internetretailer.com
- Understanding the Complexities of the Multichannel Experience, multichannelmerchant.com
- Using Referral Marketing to Fuel Ecommerce Subscriptions, www.practicalecommerce.com
- 5 emails you should plan to send this fall, myemma.com
- How to Use Storytelling to Write Better Emails, movableink.com
- Measuring Your Performance and Increasing Engagement, blog.mailchimp.com
General Internet Marketing
- The Incredibly Strange Commercials Of David Lynch, www.businessinsider.com
- Enterprise Marketing in 2016: Channel and Priority Trends, www.marketingprofs.com
- How Can B2B Marketers Prove Their Worth to Senior Management?, www.emarketer.com
- How to Make Your Marketing More Accountable, www.convinceandconvert.com
- TipTalk Connects You With Celebrities and Influencers, smallbiztrends.com
- Why Micro-Influencers Increase Sales and How To Find Them, www.jeffbullas.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Boston.com Selects Taboola as Exclusive Discovery Partner, Powering Cross-Platform Audience Engagement and Monetization, finance.yahoo.com
- Cuebiq and MediaMath Enter Data Partnership, www.adotas.com
- How to build a chatbot your users will love, venturebeat.com
- Inc. Mag’s Revenue Survey Shows Where Growth Is Happening In Ad Tech, adexchanger.com
- Marketing Automation Keeps You Ahead of the Buying Cycle, www.cmswire.com
- Why Marketers are Choosing Self-Service Technology over the Mega Vendor Marketing Cloud, www.martechadvisor.com
- Winter Is Coming To Ad Tech: Obliteration Not Consolidation, adexchanger.com
- 4 steps to make mobile marketing more effective, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- A mobile app strategy shift can make for happier holidays, www.internetretailer.com
- All You Need to Know About App Indexing, www.searchenginejournal.com
- Foursquare’s Location Analysis Digs Into Brand Preferences of Festival Attendees, streetfightmag.com
- Mobile CMOs on Growth, Customer Experience, and Building a Lasting Brand, www.tune.com
- Mobile Marketers Can Get Their Generational Clicks with Varied Engagement Tactics, www.nielsen.com
- Retailers should tap mobile media to integrate the customer journey, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- The 9 Commandments of Proximity Marketing, www.tune.com
- The Next Big Mobile Ad Platform, adage.com
- Twitter’s Crashlytics can now track out-of-memory iOS app crashes, venturebeat.com
- Could “Google Urbanism” Help Fund Public Space With A Cut Of Online Ad Dollars?, www.fastcoexist.com
- What Do we Do About Trust?, www.conversationagent.com
- 30 brands with excellent social media strategies, econsultancy.com
- 50% Traffic Growth in Just 30 Days Using Twitter, blog.bufferapp.com
- Everything You Need to Know About Snapchat Geofilters, www.searchenginejournal.com
- How to Adapt to Facebook’s Personally Informative News Feed, www.newswhip.com
- How to Outperform Fortune 500 Brands on Instagram, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- The Confessions of Marc, a Twitter Lead Generating Machine, blog.crazyegg.com
- What Millennials Will Hate About Your Snapchat Ad, www.marketingprofs.com
- 4 Ways to Use Video in Twitter Ads, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Marketers Don’t Need Olympics to Get Online Views, adage.com
- The Live Blog: August 16, 2016, media.fb.com