Marketing Day: January 30, 2014
Here’s our daily recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Google Analytics Updates Remarketing UI & Builds Out List Import Options
Catching up with its segmentation updates from last year, Google Analytics announced today a refresh to its Remarketing UI and new Remarketing list import options. Along with the new UI, users can create Remarketing lists based on origin, demographics and behavior. The Remarketing list builder now allows users to import existing segments, including custom segments […]
- Paper: News Reader, Home 2.0 Or Facebook Replacement?
This morning Facebook announced its “Paper” app, which combines news from established sources and feeds from your friends. It has Flipboard-like page-turning functionality and seeks to enable users to “tell beautiful stories” to one another. The project is from Facebook’s app-development team, Facebook Creative Labs. It’s said to be the pet project of Facebook VP Chis […]
- Susan Beebe, Social Strategist From Tyson Foods Named To #HashtagBowl Live Blog Lineup
Buffalo wings. Check. Pizza crust and toppings. Check. Tortillas and Chips. Check. All the makings of a great Super Bowl party indeed. Next step: invite guests to watch the game and critique the commercials. Check. What better VIP guest than Susan Beebe, the Social Media & Online Communities Manager at Tyson Foods, maker of many game […]
- Last Chance for SMX West Early Bird Rates – Register Now!
Search Marketing Expo – SMX West rates increase Saturday, February 1st. Register now and save on all passes! Join us March 11-13 in San Jose for: The latest tactics and strategies: Over 75% of the sessions are new. Check out the agenda. Presentations by more than 80 internet marketing experts on SEO, paid search, local/mobile […]
- The “Real Reason” Google Sold Motorola To Lenovo
In the wake of yesterday’s Reuters story and later confirmation of the $2.91 billion sale of Google’s Motorola hardware unit to Lenovo there were many theories presented about why the deal happened. Here is a summary of those theories and ideas: Google is simply “cutting its loses” and recovering what money it can on a […]
- The Mobile Makeover Of Digital Marketing
As far as classic channels go, search and display are Internet advertising legends. They arose in the proverbial stone age of digital technology, when ad capabilities were limited to standard banner ads that screamed, “Click Here!” Simply put, innovations at the industry’s disposal today, including online video and mobile executions, were once easily dismissed as […]
- A Sneak Peek Into Volkswagen’s Super Bowl Social Media “War Room” Plans
This is shaping up to the most digitally-enabled and interactive of Super Bowls, with many of the advertisers — and even some non-advertisers — thinking very holistically about their Big Game marketing. Oreo raised the bar with its rapid-response Tweet during the #BlackoutBowl last year, and, now, such quick wit and equally speedy media creation […]
- Facebook Custom Audiences Add Better Targeting Options & New CTA Buttons
Today Facebook has officially rolled out (and improved) their audience capabilities that were announced last October for general use. This release is far and away the most sophisticated social advertising product to date. Advertisers can harness the existing functionality of Custom Audiences, use the Facebook remarketing pixel on their site or app for detailed tracking and […]
- Google Selling Motorola Handset Business To Lenovo For $2.9 Billion
Google bought Motorola Mobility for $12.5 billion in late 2011 and is apparently going to sell it to Lenovo for billions less than that. Reuters is reporting that Google and the Chinese computer maker are in talks to transfer the Motorola business for roughly $3 billion. [Update: The deal has now been officially confirmed. More […]
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Google Q4 2013 Earnings Report $16.86 Billion In Revenues
- Yahoo Adds Local Business Snapshots Next To Search Results
- Search Marketing Expo – SMX West Early Bird Rates Expire Saturday. Register Now!
- From 10 Blue Links To Entity SERPs: Is Your Website Ready?
- Last Chance for SMX West Early Bird Rates – Register Now!
- Facebook Will Launch Graph Search For Mobile “Pretty Soon”
- I Don’t Want No Scrub (Agency)
- Google Search Redesigns Stock Quotes “Card,” Drops Competitor Links, Then Brings Them Back
- Excelling (Again) At Excel For Search Engine Marketers
- Live @ SMX West: Best Practices For Mobile SEO
- Bing Rewards Program Now Available On iOS & Android Devices
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
Blogs & Blogging
- Consultants – This is Why Your Blog Isn’t Attracting Clients, pushingsocial.com
- Facebook Turns 10: The Mark Zuckerberg Interview, BusinessWeek
- Facebook Will Give Up The Ghost On Real Identity In Future Apps, TechCrunch
- Incredible Labs Acquired By Yahoo, Mobile Assistant App Donna To Be Shut Down, TechCrunch
- When Super Bowl Advertisers Compete For the Web, Google Wins, Ad Age
- With Motorola sold, Google can focus on robots, Glass and smart homes, www.computerworld.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 2014 Web Design Trends: All Simple Everything, Luna Metrics
- Here’s what I honestly think about new top level domain names, Domain Name Wire
- Warning: WalMart Is the Only Grocer in the World – Why Closed Generic gTLDs Spoil the Internet, DomainInvesting.com
- 5 Ways to Boost Email Open Rates, Practical E-Commerce
Internet Marketing Industry
- BrightTag Continues Global Expansion, Grows Presence in Latin America, www.brighttag.com
- Forbes Names Trueffect One of America’s Most Promising Companies for 2014, PR Web
- Gigya Releases Consumer Insights Dashboard to Provide Marketers With Unparalleled Understanding of User Identities, www.marketwired.com
- You Have the Right to Express Your Opinion Online, Yelp Official Blog
- Eight Predictions for Super Bowl Tweets as Improv Marketing Takes the Field, www.ishmaelscorner.com
- How to Analyze Your Social Media Activities With Excel, Social Media Examiner
- How to create a social media editorial calendar, www.ragan.com
- Why We Need a Pinterest Listening Tool, blog.tailwindapp.com
- Pre-releasing Super Bowl Ads: Tease or Full Monty?, blogs.emory.edu
- Super Bowl Ads Rack Up 44 Million Views On YouTube Pre-Game, MediaPost
- Super Bowl Ads Without the Super Bowl, www.newyorker.com
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Marketing Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the most important digital marketing news each day.