Get the most important digital marketing news each day.
Marketing Day: Microsoft LinkedIn deal, Snapchat ads & brands on Facebook Live
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Someday, this story may be written by a computer
Jun 13, 2016 by Barry Levine
Computers are already graduating from writing financial reports and short marketing messages to self-creating ads and attempts at essays.
- Microsoft’s LinkedIn acquisition represents huge opportunity for Bing Ads
Jun 13, 2016 by Janet Driscoll Miller
Contributor Janet Driscoll Miller has been spending on LinkedIn on behalf of her agency’s clients for the last four years. Here, she lays out her hopes, fears and a few suggestions for Microsoft as it integrates the B2B social network it has purchased.
- As Snapchat’s ad biz expands, it’s pressing for shorter ads
Jun 13, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Snapchat will make it easier for brands to buy ads to run in more places, but it’s also pushing advertisers to cut their ad lengths.
- The big picture guide to local SEO: ranking in 2016 & beyond
Jun 13, 2016 by Marcus Miller
Columnist Marcus Miller provides a comprehensive look into ranking factors for local search, including negative ranking factors and ways to differentiate yourself from the competition.
- SocialPro is one week away, register today!
Jun 13, 2016 by Chris Sherman
Marketing Land’s SocialPro, the only conference focused on sharing real, proven social media marketing tactics from working professionals.
- How to prepare for AdWords’ expanded text ads and device-based bidding
Jun 13, 2016 by Matt Umbro
Columnist Matt Umbro provides some advice for advertisers who want to be ahead of the game when Google’s recently announced AdWords changes go live.
- New Podcast: Listen to Marketing Land Live via iTunes or Google Play
Jun 13, 2016 by Matt McGee
Our weekly video show is now available as an audio podcast, making it easy for anyone to listen while on the road, at home or wherever it’s most convenient.
- The Microsoft LinkedIn Deal: What it means for advertisers
Jun 13, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
What might the merging of the two biggest graphs of professional data mean for advertisers?
- Creating the VIP treatment for your customers
Jun 13, 2016 by James Green
How do you give consumers the star treatment they want? Columnist James Green says you need to look toward data, decision-making engines and channels to deliver the best experience.
- How ignoring online reputation can destroy your PPC campaign
Jun 13, 2016 by Chris Silver Smith
Don’t make the mistake of ignoring your company’s ratings and reviews. Columnist Chris Silver Smith explains how your online reputation affects your PPC campaigns.
- How 3 brands are using Facebook Live to connect, engage & inspire their fans
Jun 13, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
Still in its early stages, Facebook Live is already proving to be a worthwhile platform for Dunkin’ Donuts, Tastemade and The Young Turks news network.
- 5 strategies to convert your readers into email subscribers
Jun 13, 2016 by Daniel Faggella
How do you convince readers to sign up for your email list? Columnist Daniel Faggella outlines some key tactics to improve your email marketing and generate more leads.
- Microsoft buys LinkedIn for $26.2 billion
Jun 13, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Microsoft will integrate LinkedIn into its productivity tools and vice versa. LinkedIn CEO Weiner will continue to run LinkedIn under CEO Nadella
- [WATCH] Marketing Land Live #17: Apple gets into paid search, Snapchat’s new Discover tab & more
Jun 13, 2016 by Matt McGee
In our latest weekly video show, we talk about paid search adds in Apple’s App Store, Snapchat’s contrarian view about using sound in videos and more.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Apple brings Siri to Mac, new exposure for non-Google search engines
- 12 things successful PPC managers do in the morning
- The role technical SEO should play: It’s makeup
- 2 strategic opportunities for local service area businesses
- Why should you enter the 2016 Search Engine Land Awards?
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- If Marketing Metrics Are Driving You Crazy, Read This, blog.marketo.com
- Predictive Analytics for B2B Sales and Marketing has Certainly Crossed the Chasm, www.martechadvisor.com
Blogs & Blogging
- Blog Authorship: Tools to Keep Your Blog Content Safe from Plagiarists and Duplication, www.problogger.net
- Could Marketing Automation Be Hurting Your Blog-Reader Relationships?, www.problogger.net
- The Ultimate Blog Marketing Checklist: 65 Tips, Tools, and Resources, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Apple takes on Google Photos with new Photos update, www.theverge.com
- Salesforce.com Inc hires prominent hacking expert Trey Ford, www.reuters.com
- Satya Nadella email to employees on acquisition of LinkedIn, news.microsoft.com
- How to Elicit and Use Employee Stories in Your Content Marketing, www.marketingprofs.com
- Skyscraper Content the Right Way: How to Truly Help Your Readers, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- 10 Statistics Traps in A/B Testing: The Ultimate Guide for Optimizers, conversionxl.com
- Why You Can’t Out-CRO Bad Traffic, blog.crazyegg.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 10 nudge-tastic examples of persuasive copywriting from charities, econsultancy.com
- 6 Key Ways Design Thinkers Approach Problems, www.fastcodesign.com
- Four Web Development Technologies That Marketers Need to Know Now, www.marketingprofs.com
- .store Suffix Provides Retailers an Opportunity to Rebrand, multichannelmerchant.com
- Desired Domain Name Taken? Here’s What To Do Next, www.blogherald.com
- 5 Content Marketing Ideas for July 2016, www.practicalecommerce.com
- 9 experts on the state of ‘buy online, pick up in-store’, www.retaildive.com
- Amazon Prime’s next target customer is the Target customer, qz.com
- Are Loyalty Programs Worth it for E-Commerce Websites?, blog.kissmetrics.com
- Could New EU Geoblocking Rule be Good News for Small eCommerce?, smallbiztrends.com
- Exclusive: Amazon is preparing to launch streaming music service – sources, www.reuters.com
- How to Deliver Experiences First and Transactions Second, multichannelmerchant.com
- Is Your Online Business Ready for a Subscription Model?, multichannelmerchant.com
- Prevent “Out of Stock”: How to Create a Merchandise Plan That Rocks, company-enterprise.myshopify.com
- Studies challenge e-commerce’s unstoppable trajectory, www.retaildive.com
- Taking the Unexpected Out of Cart Abandonment, www.practicalecommerce.com
- 10 Skills An Email Marketing Manager Needs To Succeed, www.jeffbullas.com
General Internet Marketing
- 3 Mistakes That Kill Any Data-Driven Marketing Strategy, www.martechadvisor.com
- Do You Need an Agency That Follows Agile Marketing?, www.toprankblog.com
- The Major Marketing Issue of the 21st Century, adage.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Check It Out: Moz Content’s Q2 Feature Updates (Tons of New Stuff!), moz.com
- Sizmek Expands its Latin American Presence With Executive Hire in Mexico, www.nasdaq.com
- The Upside of Darwinian MarTech Soup, www.cmswire.com
- 4 steps to maximize app marketing, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Looking to get app installs? Start with Social, 3qdigital.com
- Yahoo is killing its old Messenger app on August 5, venturebeat.com
- Are mobile ads within map applications a must-have location-based strategy?, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- How to Manage a Brand, www.searchenginejournal.com
- Strategies for Securing Ratings and Reviews – Honestly, www.searchenginepeople.com
- 12 Creative Ways to Use Facebook Cover Images for Business, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- A YouTube institution, ‘unboxing’ is making its way to Snapchat, digiday.com
- Aesthetic Imagery And Influencers: How High Street Fashion Brands Engage Users On Instagram, www.newswhip.com
- Are Your Twitter Ads Still Attracting the Wrong Leads?, blog.adstage.io
- Boost Your Social Media Following With Expert Quotes!, www.internetmarketingninjas.com
- Facebook a bigger player at this year’s VidCon, Los Angeles Times
- Facebook Ads Manager Updates: What Marketers Need to Know, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Facebook CPMs Up 71% in Q1 (Report), www.adweek.com
- Facebook Turns On Safety Check for First Time in U.S. After Orlando Shooting, www.adweek.com
- Facebook’s Plan to Boost Ad Revenue, Turn Users Into Buyers, adage.com
- Five subtle ways Facebook (FB) could influence the US presidential election in 2016, qz.com
- How Chewbacca Made Kohl’s the Most Loved Brand in May, www.newswhip.com
- How to Create Your Own Snapchat Geofilters, blog.bufferapp.com
- Retailers should continue to test Snapchat, but at a small scale, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Snapchat is becoming popular with the olds, qz.com
- The Content Sharing Habits of Facebook Users, www.marketingprofs.com
- Think your brand is safe on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn? Think again., venturebeat.com
- What Pinterest learned in two years working on its search engine, techcrunch.com
- Why all the excitement surrounding Facebook’s Dynamic Ads?, econsultancy.com
- Autoplay is everywhere, but not all advertisers are buying, digiday.com
- Digital Video Can’t Thrive Until We Resolve Its Data Challenges, adexchanger.com
- GE gets aboard the Facebook Live bandwagon, digiday.com
- How Insider is selling its newfound Facebook video expertise to brands, digiday.com
- IHOP Livestreamed Some Pancakes on a Beach and It’s the Brand’s Top Social Video Ever, www.adweek.com
- Mastering Digital Video Production Requires a Paradigm Shift, adage.com
- Why VR is the next big thing for brands, techcrunch.com