The latest analyses, insights and strategies that inspire CMOs and marketers everywhere.
Marketing Day: New EU proposals for ad targeting, Facebook ads & voice search
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- EU proposes privacy rules that extend to Gmail, Facebook Messenger, Skype
Jan 10, 2017 by Ginny Marvin
Consent rules could limit consumer data collection for ad targeting by messaging, email and phone service providers.
- Three well-meaning paid search optimizations that might kill performance
Jan 10, 2017 by Andy Taylor
That recent adjustment to your paid search campaign seemed like a good idea at the time, but now you’re seeing a drop in performance. How could this happen? Columnist Andy Taylor notes some common issues that arise from well-intended optimization choices.
- Facebook’s retargeted ads broadened to include rivals’ sites, Page audiences
Jan 10, 2017 by Tim Peterson
By expanding the retargeting pool, Facebook’s Dynamic Ads can do a better job of finding new customers for brands, including from rivals.
- Essential voice search strategies for 2017
Jan 10, 2017 by Sherry Bonelli
Are you prepared for the rise in voice search? Columnist Sherry Bonelli discusses how voice search will impact local businesses.
- Want to become a high-impact digital marketer?
Jan 10, 2017 by Marketing Land
SMX West pre-conference workshops are conducted by the world’s leading subject matter experts in SEO, SEM, social and digital. All workshops will be held on Monday, March 20, and are conveniently located at the San Jose Convention Center. 2017 brings a revamped lineup and fresh takeaways.
- Customer questions every CMO should be ready to answer in 2017
Jan 10, 2017 by Scott Vaughan
Your clients and prospects are going to have questions about data and technology. Are you prepared to answer them? Columnist Scott Vaughan has some food for thought.
- 5 B2B marketing tips to jump-start your 2017 results
Jan 10, 2017 by Jessica Cameron
Columnist Jessica Cameron provides B2B marketing tips for starting your new year off on the right foot.
- Is your marketing team effective? A 5-question test
Jan 10, 2017 by Justin Dunham
In an increasingly complicated martech world, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. Columnist Justin Dunham offers a handy checklist to help you determine whether you’re running the ultimate marketing machine.
- The evolution of the customer journey in 2017: Optimizing moments that matter
Jan 10, 2017 by Jim Yu
As the customer journey becomes increasingly fragmented, columnist Jim Yu takes a look at how marketers can capitalize on the micro-moments and serve up targeted content at just the right time across multiple channels.
- IAB Tech Lab launches new Tool Repository with a viewability SDK
Jan 10, 2017 by Barry Levine
The SDK, originally developed by Integral Ad Science, provides an open-source framework for monitoring in-app ads.
- Report: Consumers feel positive about immersive technologies
Jan 10, 2017 by Barry Levine
Video ad firm YuMe found most survey respondents have heard about virtual reality, augmented reality, or 360-degree video — and they pay more attention to ads in those formats.
- Yahoo CEO Mayer and co-founder David Filo to step down from Yahoo board
Jan 10, 2017 by Greg Sterling
Yahoo under Verizon faces the same pressures it did as an independent company, namely, competing with Google and Facebook.
- The tracking trap in digital marketing
Jan 10, 2017 by David Rodnitzky
Columnist David Rodnitzky discusses the power and peril of measurement and explains why both online marketers and brand marketers need to find the right balance.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Affiliate marketing network consolidation: Affiliate Window acquires ShareASale, www.internetretailer.com
- It’s Time to Upgrade Your Content Marketing Measurement, www.convinceandconvert.com
Blogs & Blogging
- Why You Should Start a Blog in the New Year, www.problogger.net
- Apple, Facebook, and Google top Greenpeace energy report card, but Amazon disappoints, venturebeat.com
- Ellen Pao joins Kapor Capital as partner, and chief diversity and inclusion officer, techcrunch.com
- No, No, No: Snap Did Not Open an International HQ in London, www.cmswire.com
- Get Back to Reality: 9 Content Marketing Expectations Busted, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Is Your Content Marketing Designed for the New Customer Journey?, www.toprankblog.com
- Is Your Niche Boring? Here’s How Content Marketing Can Still Work For You, smallbiztrends.com
- The Most Successful Content Formats, www.jeffkorhan.com
- 16 Overlay Examples Critiqued for Conversion, unbounce.com
- Don’t Split Test Your Pages Before Doing These 6 Things, blog.kissmetrics.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- Four websites that have reduced their primary navigation options, econsultancy.com
- Mobile UX Trends For 2017, usabilitygeek.com
- WordPress Theme Detector, www.blogherald.com
- Amazon and fake news were trending in domain names last month, domainnamewire.com
- ICANN retires Affirmation of Commitments with US gov, domainincite.com
- 5 ways retailers can reduce shopping cart abandonment, www.internetretailer.com
- How Augmented Reality Will Change Online Shopping, multichannelmerchant.com
- How four retailers hurt by tech are now embracing digital, digiday.com
- How to Boost Ecommerce Revenue Through Upselling and Cross Selling, blog.crazyegg.com
- Implications of Amazon’s Dominance for Brands, Retailing, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Millennial Holiday Shoppers Did Their Research Online Before Buying In-Store, www.emarketer.com
- What is Fulfillment by Amazon and How Can You Use it For Your eCommerce Business?, smallbiztrends.com
- An Introduction To Building And Sending HTML Email For Web Developers, www.smashingmagazine.com
- Cart abandonment emails: Creating content that maximises conversions, econsultancy.com
- How to Create an Email Marketing Plan (That You’ll Actually Stick To), blogs.constantcontact.com
General Internet Marketing
- 6 Disciplines to discover Customer Engagement in 2017, www.webanalyticsworld.net
- How the Role of the CMO Is Changing, www.marketingprofs.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- ‘Fake it till you make it’: Confessions of a recovering ad tech executive, digiday.com
- Digital Asset Management in the Martech Cocktail, chiefmartec.com
- How Martech Will Play a Critical Role in Marketing in 2017, www.komarketingassociates.com
- Why Location-Based Machine Learning Is the Smart Path to Personalization, streetfightmag.com
- 8 Tools to Enhance Your Customer Experience On Mobile, www.jeffbullas.com
- Measurable, Mobile Micro-Moments Reveal Path To Success, www.searchenginepeople.com
- WeChat is morphing so Chinese smartphone owners will never have to download an app again, qz.com
- 2016 Social Media Highlights, www.adweek.com
- 3Q Exclusionary Pyramid: Keep Facebook Ad Sets Clean, Relevant, and Profitable, 3qdigital.com
- 7 Questions You Must Answer to Get the Right Kind of Facebook Fans, www.blogherald.com
- As Snap gets ready for IPO, here’s what advertisers say it has going for it, www.cnbc.com
- Facebook Ads Cost: The Complete Guide to the Cost of Facebook Ads, blog.bufferapp.com
- Facebook Advertising 101, www.marketingprofs.com
- Snapchat Is Testing New Ad Features to Improve Ecommerce and Lead-Gen Marketing, www.adweek.com
- “Bennie and the Jets,” “Rocket Man,” “Tiny Dancer” and You, youtube.googleblog.com
- A Better Way to Analyze Session Replay Videos, conversionxl.com
- A Step-By-Step Guide To Get Famous On YouTube, www.socialmediaexplorer.com
- How to Better Moderate Your YouTube Comments, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- IBM Quietly Builds Its Video Cloud, adexchanger.com
- Samsung’s Mike Cornwell on How the Brand Made a Splash With New Zealanders on YouTube, www.thinkwithgoogle.com
- Setting Up a Video Marketing Office Studio On a Beginner Budget, www.thesaleslion.com
- The Live Blog: January 10, 2017, media.fb.com
- Three Major Shifts That Will Transform Video Marketing in 2017, www.marketingprofs.com