The latest analyses, insights and strategies that inspire CMOs and marketers everywhere.
Marketing Day: Oracle Acquires AddThis, Local Marketing Tactics & Yahoo Layoffs
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Twitter Co-Founder Refocuses Efforts On Q&A Network “Jelly,” Allows For Reservation Of Usernames
Jan 7, 2016 by Greg Finn
Social Q&A network Jelly is being reworked in the rare Silicon Valley “Unpivot.” Biz Stone is relaunching the network, and you can reserve your username today!
- Here’s Why Oracle’s Acquisition of Content Sharing/Visitor Tracker AddThis Adds Up
Jan 7, 2016 by Barry Levine
Announced earlier this week, the new purchase builds on Oracle’s already-formidable stack of marketing data.
- Last Call: MarTech Rates Increase Saturday
Jan 7, 2016 by Marketing Land
Was attending the only MarTech this year a New Year’s resolution? This is your last chance to save with our lowest “alpha” rates. Register by January 9 and save $500! Below are just a few of the brands presenting this year. Check out the agenda for all of the details.
- As Facebook Audience Network Becomes $1 Billion Biz, LiveRail Refocuses On Private Marketplaces
Jan 7, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
LiveRail ad serving will shut down to put the focus squarely on building the private marketplace and mediation business.
- Business Insider: Yahoo To Lay Off More Than 1,000 Employees
Jan 7, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
Sources claim cuts could begin before the end of January.
- Forget Your Testimonials Page, 2016 Is The Year Of Reviews
Jan 7, 2016 by Greg Gifford
Let’s face it: Customers aren’t reading your testimonials page. So what can you put in its place? Columnist Greg Gifford shares his ideas.
- 10 Ways To Simplify Your Local Marketing Strategy In 2016
Jan 7, 2016 by Wesley Young
Looking back at lessons learned last year and expected trends for this year, columnist Wesley Young cuts through the clutter and suggests ways to make your marketing strategy simpler, clearer and easier to execute.
- Definitive Guide To Duplicate Research For Local SEO
Jan 7, 2016 by Joy Hawkins
Wondering how to identify and clean up your duplicate map listings? Columnist Joy Hawkins has you covered.
- Surviving Google’s New Policy Against Interstitial Ads
Jan 7, 2016 by Lei Sun
Contributor Lei Sun takes a look at how some of the best companies comply with Google’s new rule against app install interstitials — and still drive users to download apps.
- 4 B2B Marketing Predictions For 2016
Jan 7, 2016 by Peter Isaacson
From the explosive growth of ABM to the consolidation of martech vendors, columnist Peter Isaacson takes a look at what marketers should expect this year.
- A Look Back At Conversion And Analytics In 2015
Jan 7, 2016 by Brian Massey
Now that we’ve popped the champagne corks and said goodbye to 2015, columnist Brian Massey takes a look at which Conversion and Analytics columns resonated the most with readers and what we can learn for 2016.
- WordPress Releases 4.4.1, Strongly Recommends Users Update Immediately
Jan 7, 2016 by Matt McGee
Latest version of WordPress software fixes 52 bugs and patches a vulnerability that could let sites be compromised.
- Instagram Ups Its Curation Game, Makes Spotlight Videos Permanent
Jan 7, 2016 by Matt McGee
You first saw Instagram’s Spotlight Compilations on Halloween. Now you’ll see them every day at the top of the Explore tab.
- Multi-Channel E-Commerce Platform Webgility Adds Full-Funnel Intelligence Tool
Jan 7, 2016 by Barry Levine
Called Highlight, the new product points the nine-year-old San Francisco company beyond small business operations and analytics and toward strategies for growth.
- #CES Live Blog: Facebook & Target On Mobile & Digital Marketing
Jan 6, 2016 by Danny Sullivan
How is mobile impacting how people buy and shop? A panel with Facebook and Target discusses that topic and more at the CES conference in Las Vegas today. The panel features Jeff Jones, CMO, Target, and Carolyn Everson, VP, Global Marketing Solutions, Facebook, speaking with each other.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Marriage Equality, Healthcare & Low Unemployment: How Search Marketers Can Make A Difference This Tax Season
- How Apple Could Play Spoiler For The Search Ad Business
- Cut The Fat: How To Reduce Wasted Ad Spend In Your AdWords Account
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- 5 Self-Service Predictive Analytics Platforms, streetfightmag.com
Blogs & Blogging
- 13 Tips from Popular Bloggers to Beat Procrastination and Write Productively, www.blogherald.com
- A Sign Google Is Ramping Up Its China Presence: It’s Hiring, adage.com
- Apple’s bold compensation plan has the company and CEO Tim Cook facing a challenging year, venturebeat.com
- Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 die on Tuesday, thenextweb.com
- Rupert Murdoch’s private CES meetings with Snapchat founder Evan Spiegel and Apple’s Eddy Cue, qz.com
- Yelp’s Chief Revenue Officer, officialblog.yelp.com
- 14 safety precautions for inexperienced content writers, econsultancy.com
- 4 Legal Tips for Using Customer Testimonials, blog.kissmetrics.com
- 5 Steps Savvy Content Marketers Should Take in 2016, www.verticalmeasures.com
- 5 Ways to Get More Traffic with Content Marketing, www.copyblogger.com
- 6 Questions to Ask Yourself Before Creating an Infographic, www.copypress.com
- How to Determine When and Where to Gate Your Content, www.convinceandconvert.com
- How to Monetize Visual Content, www.jeffbullas.com
- Keep Your Content On-Strategy With This Single Statement, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Q&A With Content Director Of LittleThings, blog.newswhip.com
- 5 Ways to Expose Split Testing Ideas (That Are Likely to Succeed!), blog.crazyegg.com
- Five predictions for the conversion optimization industry, conversion.com
- The Weird and Wonderful Ways to Use Landing Pages, www.searchenginejournal.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 10 B2B SEO Copywriting Tips for 2016, seocopywriting.com
- 5 Strategies for Writing Compelling Titles, www.searchengineguide.com
Display & Contextual Advertising
- Disproving the myth about display clicks & conversions, econsultancy.com
- Madonna’s “joint venture” wins UDRP for MaterialGirl.com, domaingang.com
- 10 Surprising Mistakes on Large Ecommerce Sites, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Alibaba’s 2015 year in review — and its plan for 2016, venturebeat.com
- Amazon lets sellers handle some Prime fulfillment, and it’s paying off, www.internetretailer.com
- Despite e-retail growth, many retailers struggle to grow online, www.internetretailer.com
- Ecommerce Game Changers: A Retrospective of the Last 8 Years, Get Elastic
- Inside Amazon’s delivery ambitions, www.retaildive.com
- Sales From Smartphones up 53%, but Online Retailers Struggle to Find Growth, multichannelmerchant.com
- 5 email resolutions you should actually keep in 2016, myemma.com
- 9 Ways to Fix Your Email Marketing Strategy, www.searchenginejournal.com
- Holiday Email Report: The Final Word, blog.movableink.com
- How Email Marketers are Adjusting to Growing Mobile CTO Rates, www.komarketingassociates.com
General Internet Marketing
- 2016 Trends Every Marketer Needs to Know, www.jeffkorhan.com
- 5 Digital Marketing Tactics to Help Your Brand Stand out in 2016, www.toprankblog.com
- The Internet of Things: A Hard Look for Marketers and Media Executives, thedma.org
- Why Google and Facebook Are Uniquely Positioned to Control How Marketing Evolves, www.adweek.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Krux Doubles Revenue in 2015, Extending Market Leadership Position, www.realwire.com
- MediaMath Recognized as “Visionary” in Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for Digital Marketing Hubs, www.mediamath.com
- Performance Horizon Launches Revenue Forecaster, www.prweb.com
- How Technology Is Quickly Changing the Channel on Audio Consumption and Marketing, www.adweek.com
- How Will 2016 Tech Policy Impact the Digital World?, www.adweek.com
- The $8.2 Billion Adtech Fraud Problem That Everyone Is Ignoring, techcrunch.com
- The Top-Rated Marketing Automation Software Platforms, www.marketingprofs.com
- Best Practices: How to Keep Users Engaged With Mobile Apps, adage.com
- Customers Are Increasingly Using Mobile Devices to Research Your Company and Your Products, mackcollier.com
- Facebook’s Messenger App Quadrupled in Under 2 Years to 800 Million Monthly Users, www.adweek.com
- For Many Shoppers, Mobile Is Essential When Researching and Purchasing Products, www.emarketer.com
- How mobile can streamline returns and exchanges for better omnichannel experiences, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- How to Survive the App Lifecycle, advertising.yahoo.com
- Know Your User: How to Define Target Audience For Your App, www.ducttapemarketing.com
- Twitter’s new ‘Mobile App Playbook’ is a series of blog posts on how to build apps, The Next Web
- What Marketers Need to Know About Mobile in 2016, www.martechadvisor.com
- Custom Images for Instagram Ads?, AdWeek
- 4 Free Tools to Analyze Your Social Media Competitors, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Facebook Ad Targeting 101, www.amyporterfield.com
- Five digital-to-physical social campaigns that will inspire us in 2016, econsultancy.com
- How Tiffany found its Twitter voice, digiday.com
- How to Build a Social Media Calendar That WORKS, simplymeasured.com
- Let’s Put Twitter Moments In The Hands Of Twitter Users, techcrunch.com
- Successful tips for Revamping your Social Media Strategy this 2016, www.martechadvisor.com
- Teen retailers use Instagram more than Facebook, www.retaildive.com
- The Trends That Deserve Your Social Media Dollars in 2016, simplymeasured.com
- Twitter files lawsuit against Turkish fine over ‘terrorist propaganda’, www.reuters.com
- Twitter Restores Politwoops’ API Access, Allowing It To Post Politicians’ Deleted Tweets Once Again, Forbes
- What Millennials Expect From You on Social Media, www.marketingprofs.com
- What Snapchat’s ad API means for advertisers and Snapchat, digiday.com
- Facebook Video vs. YouTube: where should you build your brand’s video audience?, www.linkedin.com
- What Types of Video Content Do Millennials Watch?, www.emarketer.com
- YouTube Advertising in the Google UI: How to Take Advantage, 3qdigital.com