Get the most important digital marketing news each day.
Marketing Day: Peloton CMO interview, content marketing & Yahoo at NewFronts
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Where does your business stand in the eCommerce market?
May 5, 2016 by Digital Marketing Depot
Even the most forward-thinking businesses struggle with marketing in today’s fast-paced digital world. The online marketing landscape is notoriously unstable, complex and dynamic. In order to grab hold of your marketing, you need to know how you stack up.
- Brand bidding & PPC optimization: future of brand protection (part 8)
May 5, 2016 by Lori Weiman
What’s on the horizon for brand bidding in PPC? Columnist Lori Weiman wraps up her 8-part series on brand bidding by looking to the near future and discussing trends that search marketers can capitalize on.
- 5 super-common SEO mistakes content marketers make
May 5, 2016 by Stephan Spencer
Obstacles are bound to arise in any SEO effort, but columnist Stephan Spencer reminds us that many of these are avoidable if you choose the correct approach.
- Performing a manual backlink audit, step by step
May 5, 2016 by Dave Davies
Need to get rid of problematic or unnatural backlinks and not sure where to begin? In this helpful how-to, columnist Dave Davies outlines his process for performing a manual backlink audit.
- Branded query optimization for SEO
May 5, 2016 by Clay Cazier
Before jumping in to optimize for non-brand queries, columnist Clay Cazier reminds us to do what many paid search marketers already do: maximize our visibility for branded queries.
- Mobile vs. desktop: Are you optimizing both experiences?
May 5, 2016 by Aaron Strout
Columnist Aaron Strout takes a look at the similarities and differences between the desktop and mobile experiences and how you can take advantage of both to provide the best results for your customers.
- Peloton’s new CMO brings her passion for fitness to work at the in-home exercise brand
May 5, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
Get to Know: Peloton CMO Lori Tauber Marcus
- Adblock Plus teams up with content funding tool Flattr to pay cooperating publishers
May 5, 2016 by Barry Levine
The newly announced partnership says its goal is to evolve the web into “what it was supposed to have been.”
- 13 content marketing metrics to track for optimum conversions
May 5, 2016 by Khalid Saleh
Are you using the right metrics to measure the success of your content marketing? Columnist Khalid Saleh outlines what you should be focusing on to understand the ROI of your campaign.
- Yahoo announces new video programming focus & expanded video ad metrics at NewFronts
May 5, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
After a closed-door NewFronts event, Yahoo released announcements confirming it was narrowing its video programming verticals.
- 5 reasons to keep doing mobile SEO even though ads are everywhere
May 5, 2016 by Bryson Meunier
Sure, paid search on mobile has grown. But if you’re thinking of cutting your organic search budget for mobile, columnist Bryson Meunier urges you to reconsider and focus on increasing your overall traffic.
- News360 adds native ads to its free publisher analytics
May 5, 2016 by Barry Levine
The news discovery platform says the ads can be targeted toward a million+ different interests among site and app visitors.
- Periscope starts testing a way to #save live broadcasts
May 5, 2016 by Matt McGee
CEO Kayvon Beykpour says a full video management tool is on the way, but for now, a simple hashtag will save any broadcast.
- Social Video Chart: Your at-a-glance guide to 7 major platforms
May 5, 2016 by Marketing Land Staff
A side-by-side feature comparison of the seven major social video players — YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Vine, Snapchat and Tumblr.
- Instagram has started testing its version of Facebook Pages
May 4, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Instagram’s business profiles add a “contact” button for people to email businesses or get directions to their location, per screen shots posted by Later.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Son of Siri: Viv aims to go way beyond today’s digital assistants
- Changing domain names in 2016: 10 easily overlooked steps that can save SEO
- Five distribution tips to improve the reach and impact of your content
- The 7 deadly sins of content marketing
- Google adds related topics to featured snippets
- Google confirms live demo of new AdWords redesign will happen on May 24
- Updated: Google penalizes mobile sites using sneaky redirects
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- 3 Ways to Turn Marketing KPI Successes into Wins for Executives, www.toprankblog.com
- Listening Now Integrated in Socialbakers Analytics, www.socialbakers.com
Blogs & Blogging
- How to Create Unique Content to Build Your Blog’s Authority, www.problogger.net
- The Best Typography Tools To Make Your Blog Super User-Friendly, www.problogger.net
- AT&T Unwinds 15-Year Web Alliance With Yahoo, www.wsj.com
- Yahoo Announces Editorial Plans for 2016 Summer Olympics, yahoo.tumblr.com
- 10 Powerful Visuals That Will Pump Up Your Content Marketing, www.jeffbullas.com
- 5 Hasty Conclusions From Quizzes I Made About the Media Industry, contently.com
- Adopt an Effective Content Marketing Strategy This Mother’s Day, www.martechadvisor.com
- Better Strategy, Better Content, Better Brand, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Content Curation: Anyone Can Curate – That Means You!, www.copypress.com
- How Marketers are Rethinking the Content Generation Process, www.komarketingassociates.com
- How This CMI Duo Blew Away a Tedious, Unscalable Content Task, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Native Ads Compete With News for Audiences’ Attention – And Get It, streetfightmag.com
- The Big Fat Guide to Content Upgrades, blog.crazyegg.com
- Waiting to Approve Influencer Content Hurts More Than It Helps, www.adweek.com
- Why There are No Shortcuts to Content Marketing, www.searchenginejournal.com
- Write Content To Set It Apart From The Clutter, smallbiztrends.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- DX Leaders: ‘Focus Less on Technology, More on the Customers’, www.cmswire.com
- Mastering mobile design: focus vs. expand, www.usertesting.com
- A third of mayoral candidates using .london domains, domainincite.com
- How Do You Increase Website Domain Authority?, www.blogherald.com
- Next round of new TLDs might be in 2020, domainnamewire.com
- Alibaba Seeks Patience From Investors on Its Newer Initiatives, www.wsj.com
- Amazon poaches AI guru from Xerox PARC to work on Alexa virtual assistant, techcrunch.com
- Amazon Strikes Deal with Atlas Air, Takes Stake in Company, multichannelmerchant.com
- eBay acquires AI-powered big data processor Expertmaker, techcrunch.com
- More shoppers go online to buy Mother’s Day gifts, www.internetretailer.com
- Positioning your shop in the online market, yoast.com
- The Most Harmful Amazon FBA Sourcing Decision You Could Ever Make, www.marketingwords.com
- Using the Olympics for Ecommerce Marketing, www.practicalecommerce.com
- 4 Indispensable Elements of a Winning Cart Recovery Email, vwo.com
- How Important Are Confirmation Emails?, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Why Buying or Renting an Email List is the Absolute Worst, blog.movableink.com
General Internet Marketing
- 3 Tips Every Brand Should Implement in their Marketing Efforts, multichannelmerchant.com
- How to Leverage Psychology for Influencer Marketing, blog.marketo.com
- Is micro-influencer marketing viable?, econsultancy.com
- Marketo Founder Extends Concept of Account-Based Marketing, www.cmswire.com
- Putting Digital First: How Chief Digital Officers Make Businesses Thrive, thedma.org
- The most common marketing mistake startups make, techcrunch.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Infer’s Self-Service Profiling Revolutionizes Predictive Sales and Marketing – Infer: Predictive Lead Scoring for Sales & Marketing, www.infer.com
- Sizmek and Datami Partner to Boost Mobile Video Content and Advertising Reach in Emerging and Low-Spend Markets, www.nasdaq.com
- Brace Yourself for the Dawn of AI in Your Workplace, www.cmswire.com
- Marketing in a Digital World: Machine Learning is Upping Innovation and Agility, www.martechadvisor.com
- 3 Questions on Mobile Game Marketing Strategy, www.tune.com
- How to Create a Mobile Ad Test, 3qdigital.com
- Is mobile search shifting towards greater brand control?, www.mobilemarketer.com
- Longer-Form Articles Work on Smartphones (Study), www.adweek.com
- Netflix Adds Feature to Let Users Control Mobile-Data Usage, www.wsj.com
- Why Facebook Messenger bots haven’t caught on with publishers, digiday.com
- Best Practices for Running a Social Contest in 2016, simplymeasured.com
- Dissecting the news-reading habits of mobile users on Facebook and Twitter, qz.com
- Even Without an Official Presence, Snapchat Is Everywhere at the NewFronts, www.adweek.com
- Facebook Testing New Version of Secondary Categories in News Feed?, www.adweek.com
- For Social Media Marketers, Facebook Produces the Best ROI, www.emarketer.com
- Gatorade Makes a Slam Dunk with its #BeLikeMike Campaign, blog.business.instagram.com
- How brands are using Facebook Reactions to inform campaigns, digiday.com
- LinkedIn: Sales Agents Are Social Selling Fans, www.cmswire.com
- Millennials, Gen-Z Alienated by Ads in Social News Feeds, www.adweek.com
- Second Most Popular Social Network by State, www.similarweb.com
- These 5 Things Will Happen to Social Marketing by 2017, simplymeasured.com
- Tips On Getting The Coveted Moms of Instagram To Love You, From A Brand That Did It, www.fastcompany.com
- Use Twitter Analytics to Increase Audience Engagement, blogs.constantcontact.com
- Using Social Ads to Build Ridiculously-Powerful Retargeting Audiences, www.clixmarketing.com
- What You Need To Know About Facebook Lead Ads, www.ppchero.com
- Why a Little Social Banter Goes a Long Way, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Why Facebook, Twitter and Snapchat Could Soon Host NewFronts Shows of Their Own, www.adweek.com
- ‘It’s a System That Is Rigged Against the Artists’: The War Against YouTube, www.billboard.com
- 10 pioneering examples of brands using Facebook Live, econsultancy.com
- 7 Pro Tips for Marketers Who Want to Get Into Livestreaming, www.adweek.com
- 9 Impressive Video Marketing Stats Revealed at NewFronts Events This Week, www.adweek.com
- Facebook Live All Dressed Up for Met Gala, www.adweek.com
- How Facebook is Driving 92% of Video Views for Taco Bell, www.reelseo.com
- How Facebook’s Latest Move Could Lead to Live-Streaming Revenue, contently.com
- Periscope CEO stays cool on Facebook threat as service tweaks features, USA Today
- USA TODAY NETWORK Launches Facebook VR Practices Across Dozens of Newsrooms, media.fb.com