Get the most important digital marketing news each day.
Marketing Day: Pinterest video ads, a CMO interview & Google’s Matched Content ads
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Twitter’s algorithmic timeline now fully rolled out, few opt-outs reported
Mar 18, 2016 by Matt McGee
As the rollout of the “new improved” timeline reaches all Twitter users, the company says fewer than 10 percent of users have opted out.
- Report: Video ads are coming to Pinterest
Mar 18, 2016 by Tamar Weinberg
Pinterest is testing video ads to a small subset of users.
- [VIDEO] Marketing Land Live #5: Google’s new analytics suite, Instagram goes algorithmic & more
Mar 18, 2016 by Matt McGee
If you missed our fifth episode, watch the video replay below featuring Ginny Marvin, Barry Levine, Barry Schwartz, Greg Sterling and yours truly.
- Google ch-ch-ch-changes. How they’re affecting publishers and SEOs
Mar 18, 2016 by Kristine Schachinger
Is Google’s relationship with publishers and SEOs deteriorating? Columnist Kristine Schachinger discusses the state of this long-standing love-hate relationship and shares her thoughts on what this might mean for all concerned.
- Why real-time search algorithm updates may be bad news
Mar 18, 2016 by Patrick Stox
With real-time algorithm updates becoming the norm in place of manual releases, what issues might arise? Columnist Patrick Stox examines some potential effects of faster algorithm updates.
- The inbox laboratory: How email can thrive on empirical experimentation
Mar 18, 2016 by Steve Dille
Columnist Steve Dille explains how personal data is being mined in adventurous new ways — and how email marketers can seize the advantage this practice offers.
- A CMO’s View: How IDG rebranded 100+ media properties
Mar 18, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
As IDG’s first CMO, Josh London led the rebranding efforts for the company’s multiple websites, annual events and publications.
- How do you retain clients? Retain your staff.
Mar 18, 2016 by Adam Weiss
Client retention starts with good staff retention. Columnist Adam Weiss discusses the ways leaders can motivate their team and keep their employees on board.
- CMOs flex IT purchasing muscle, but is that a good thing?
Mar 18, 2016 by Michael Shearer
As IT spending power increasingly shifts to CMOs, columnist Michael Shearer explains why marketing and IT need to come together to select the right tools and services to stay competitive.
- Google starts testing ads in Matched Content recommendation units
Mar 18, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
AdSense publishers can opt in to show ads promoting content from other websites.
- App install spend up 150 percent, yet costs down, push-enabled users 2X more engaged [reports]
Mar 17, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Three-fourths of app users will be gone by the third month, says data from Localytics.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Bing partners with US National Park Service for #FindYourPark photo contest
- Local SEO beyond the browser
- Get up close with PPC KPIs to improve your performance
- Google Image Search launches colored filter buttons
- Search in Pics: Google Analytics With NASA, Google buffalo & Fiber office
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
Blogs & Blogging
- 10 Distractions That Sabotage Your Blogging Success, www.problogger.net
- Is Blogging Really Dead? Here’s Why You Should Still Blog!, www.problogger.net
- EU may investigate online content providers over cross-border trade, www.reuters.com
- Brands Can Create Content Too: Ikea Home Tour Solves For “Design Paralysis”, adexchanger.com
- Content is Bigger Than Marketing, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Content Marketing vs. Native Advertising: What’s a Better Value?, blog.crazyegg.com
- Hearst expands native ad products globally, digiday.com
- How to Create 10x Content, moz.com
- Journalist’s Guide to Sponsored Content Ethics, contently.com
- Marketers In Search of Intelligent Content, www.cmswire.com
- How To Sell CRO To Your Boss, www.lunametrics.com
- It’s Time to Bust These 7 A/B Testing Myths, blog.kissmetrics.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- Customer Experience Rankings: The 25 Best (and Worst) Brands, www.marketingprofs.com
- Don’t let good CX get lost in translation – 3 tips on localization, www.usertesting.com
- Thoughtful Design Will Drive Future Innovation, adage.com
- Why Page Speed Matters & PageSpeed Insights Fails – A Developer’s Tale, www.portent.com
- Amazon boosts mobile promotion with live stream of SXSW concert, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- What CSS Means for Ecommerce Merchants, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Will a Poor Customer Experience Affect Future Purchases?, www.emarketer.com
- First Impressions: How to earn your place in customers’ inboxes, sherpablog.marketingsherpa.com
General Internet Marketing
- Can Intent Data Build Better Marketing Campaigns?, www.cmswire.com
- How To Find, Build, and Track Influencer Marketing Campaigns, www.newswhip.com
- How to Use Emoji in Your Marketing Vocabulary, www.convinceandconvert.com
- What a lack of transparency costs marketers, digiday.com
- Ad Tech Must Cure Its Metric Vertigo, adexchanger.com
- How Marketers Are Dealing with the Growth of Tech, www.emarketer.com
- Marketers shouldn’t make tech the enemy, digiday.com
- 7 Questions to Ask Before Sending Push Notifications, www.verticalresponse.com
- 7 Tips to Leverage the Power of SMS Marketing, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Facebook sneaked a seriously addictive basketball game into Messenger, techcrunch.com
- Fleeting micro engagements rise as mobile further crunches time, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Spring Forward: Jumpstart Your SMS Marketing Campaign, blog.marketo.com
- 10 Essential Tools for Marketing on Instagram, www.marketingprofs.com
- Facebook Buyer Persona Targeting Exploration & Combinations, www.aimclearblog.com
- Facebook, Twitter compete for live TV rights, www.reuters.com
- How To Build A Responsive Following On Twitter In 2016, www.searchenginepeople.com
- New research: TV viewers who engage on Twitter have higher rates of ad recall, www.Twitter.com
- Once a year, Instagram is home to the best crowd-designed alphabet on earth, qz.com
- Three reasons Instagram’s algorithmic timeline is yet another terrible idea, econsultancy.com
- Users Can Tell Facebook, “I Already Own This”, www.adweek.com
- Using Instagram for (Brand) Fun and Profit, multichannelmerchant.com
- What Can The Presidential Candidates Teach Us About Social Marketing?, www.adweek.com
- Why I’m opting out of Twitter’s algorithmic timeline, venturebeat.com
- 1 million watched Peyton Manning’s retirement live on Facebook, digiday.com
- Exploring the YouTube Habits of UK Digital Video Viewers, www.emarketer.com
- March Madness teams are streaming live on Facebook, digiday.com
- Periscope: How Your Business Can Benefit From Live Video, www.socialmediaexaminer.com