Get the most important digital marketing news each day.
Marketing Day: Taboola buys ConvertMedia, Google’s expanded text ads & more
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- What is call intelligence, and why should you care?
Jul 26, 2016 by Digital Marketing Depot
At the dawn of the Internet Age, marketing experts speculated about the death of call centers and the diminished importance of phone interactions on a business’s sales. In reality, the opposite has happened: the internet, combined with the rise of mobile devices, has created a telephonic boom.
- Taboola buys video advertising firm ConvertMedia
Jul 26, 2016 by Barry Levine
The acquisition better positions Taboola toward its goals of becoming a webwide powerhouse of video and native ads.
- Google rolls out expanded text ads, device bid adjustments & responsive ads for native in AdWords
Jul 26, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
Google’s major ad updates were designed specifically for mobile.
- Customer journeys, blind spots & burgers: Lessons from fast-food marketing
Jul 26, 2016 by Joshua Reynolds
Believe it or not, you can learn a thing or two from the world of burgers and fries, says columnist Joshua Reynolds. Here’s why your marketing analytics should take a page from the fast food industry.
- Marketing PSA: Cold lead generation is spam
Jul 26, 2016 by Patrick Armitage
Attention, marketers! If it’s unsolicited, irrelevant email, it’s spam. Columnist Patrick Armitage puts out a call to his fellow marketers to put a stop to the scourge.
- Ubimo and Cuebiq offer integrated offline data for real-time campaign optimization
Jul 26, 2016 by Greg Sterling
The announcement is the latest in a series that underscore the importance of location data and attribution.
- The CMO and the DCoE: 3 steps to build your digital center of excellence
Jul 26, 2016 by Jim Yu
DCoE isn’t just another trendy acronym. A Digital Center of Excellence is essential for your organization’s success, says columnist Jim Yu. He outlines three steps to help you build one.
- Tired of broken promises from politicians? Demand KPIs!
Jul 26, 2016 by David Rodnitzky
Columnist David Rodnitzky envisions a world where we could hold the government accountable to metrics and vote not just for candidates, but also for KPIs.
- AdStage launches Report cross-channel reporting solution
Jul 26, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
Customers managing paid search and social campaigns in AdStage can now generate reporting on all social channels.
- Ad industry execs cautiously optimistic Verizon-AOL-Yahoo can take on Google & Facebook
Jul 26, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
Experts weigh in on what the Verizon acquisition of Yahoo could mean for the balance of power in digital advertising, including search.
- ACSI report: Customer satisfaction increases for e-business despite dips in social media
Jul 26, 2016 by Tamar Weinberg
ACSI has come out with a report on customer satisfaction across e-business.
- Twitter recycles 7-year-old tagline in new ad campaign
Jul 25, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Twitter’s new ad campaign echoes the “What’s happening” tagline that co-founder Biz Stone introduced in 2009 to explain what Twitter is.
- Post-Bezos, The Washington Post is making its ads “all about users-first”
Jul 25, 2016 by Barry Levine
Launched eight months ago, its RED group has developed user-targeted ad tools for the Post and for licensing to other publishers.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Deliver content your employees want to share
- How to use device bid adjustments, straight from Google
- Google expanded text ads are live, and device bidding & responsive ads for native roll out
- The art of link building: Why creating connections is the key to success
- Use Power BI to supercharge your SEO
- Google Maps updates map design, highlights areas of interest and adds business photo carousel
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Affiliate Marketing: Advanced Commission Structures, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Why Ancient Egyptians Would Have Hated Self-Service Analytics, www.cmswire.com
Blogs & Blogging
- The Science and Art of Batching to Increase Your Productivity, www.problogger.net
- 20 Most Innovative Tech Brands: Facebook, YouTube Rise, LinkedIn Falls, www.adweek.com
- EU Privacy Regulators Give Green Light to Data-Transfer Pact With U.S., Wall Street Journal
- Facebook’s Answer to Silicon Valley Housing Crunch: Build Apartments, Wall Street Journal
- Twitter Rally Leaves Fundamentals Behind, www.wsj.com
- How can digital brands adapt content strategy for high growth markets?, econsultancy.com
- The Recipes for Content Marketing Success, www.marketingprofs.com
- Are You Handicapping Your Conversion Rate?, blog.kissmetrics.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 4 Indicators of User Behavior That Will Help You Improve Your Website, blog.crazyegg.com
- Explore the Content Editor Cosmos to Produce Out-of-This-World Writing, www.copyblogger.com
- The Next Big Thing in User Experience, www.uxmatters.com
- The Three R’s of Regional UX Research: Roadblocks, Relevance, and Rewards, www.uxmatters.com
- A Holistic Customer Retention Plan for eCommerce, vwo.com
- Amazon launches Prime loyalty program in India, www.reuters.com
- Amazon Prime Day’s halo effect for other e-retailers, www.internetretailer.com
- How to Get a B2B E-Commerce Implementation on the Right Track, www.komarketingassociates.com
- In the World of Cross-Border Shopping Not Everything Can Cross Borders, multichannelmerchant.com
- Secrets of Amazon’s Prime Day success, www.internetretailer.com
- Survey: Mobile beats desktop as top e-commerce channel, www.retaildive.com
- The adaptive, omnichannel CPG retailer will prosper, www.internetretailer.com
- The Newbie E-commerce Marketer’s Guide to CRO, www.searchenginejournal.com
- 9 scorching summer email examples, myemma.com
- Do You Need to Worry About CAN-SPAM Lawsuits?, blog.marketo.com
- How Retailers Use Welcome Emails to Engage Consumers, www.marketingprofs.com
- Spice up your emails with animated GIFs, www.verticalresponse.com
- The subscriber secrets hiding in your email data, myemma.com
- What Keeps Subcribers Subscribing?, www.webanalyticsworld.net
- Why Your Welcome Email Is Not Good Enough, blogs.constantcontact.com
General Internet Marketing
- 11 Techniques To Identify Your Brand’s Evangelists, www.searchenginepeople.com
- Fostering Relationships Between Brands and Customers, www.martechadvisor.com
- How marketers and brand managers can prepare for the cognitive era, techcrunch.com
- PANIC: A common language for branding?, www.prdaily.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Brandwatch Launches Audiences: Instant Social Insights into any Community, www.brandwatch.com
- Demand Media Names Matt Gehring Vice President of Marketing, www.businesswire.com
- Movable Ink Partners with Litmus to Improve Contextual Email Design, www.prweb.com
- New Evergage Data Hub Synchronizes Customer Information Across Systems for More Comprehensive Real-Time Personalization, www.evergage.com
- Wpromote Acquires Standing Dog, PR Newswire
- How are marketers dealing with the martech onslaught?, econsultancy.com
- Marketing Storytelling in the Age of Machine Intelligence, www.martechadvisor.com
- Understanding the Customer Technology Stack 2.0, www.marketingprofs.com
- As mobile conversion rate stagnates at 1%, time to reassess responsive Web design?, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Boost Conversions with SMS Messaging, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Going Mobile is More Important and Affordable than Ever, smallbiztrends.com
- The New Proximity: A Second Phase in Mobile Brings Here and Now to Life, streetfightmag.com
- 4 Ways to Include Fans in Your Social Media Activities, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- 5 Tips For Creating Infographics For Social Media, www.copypress.com
- 8 Social Media Marketing Hacks to Boost Engagement, www.toprankblog.com
- After Facebook and Google, Snapchat is faces Illinois lawsuit over face-scanning technology, qz.com
- Facebook open sources 360 Surround camera with Ikea-style instructions, techcrunch.com
- How to Use Emojis in Your Twitter Strategy (Yes, Really), simplymeasured.com
- How to Use Social Media to Make Your Brand Fascinating, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Instagram Testing Tool to Enable Celebrities, Public Figures to Thwart Trolls, www.adweek.com
- Instagram Webinar Series, blog.business.instagram.com
- LinkedIn buys PointDrive to boost its social sales platform with sharing, techcrunch.com
- Reddit to Let Marketers Sponsor Redditors’ Own Posts, adage.com
- Snapchat Bitmoji: What does it mean for brands and marketers?, econsultancy.com
- Snapchat’s Memories and the Rise of the Visual-First Internet, www.adweek.com
- The Secret to Cutting Your Facebook Ad Spend, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Twitter for Android gets a “Night mode”, techcrunch.com
- Twitter’s CMO Explains Today’s Brand Refresh and the New ‘See What’s Happening’ Ads, www.adweek.com
- We Surveyed 2,000 Facebook Users to Find Out Why Millennials are Sharing Less, www.socialmediaexplorer.com
- 3 Augmented Reality Trends Marketers Should Watch, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Facebook Live To The Rescue: How WDIO Rocked Reporting With The Lights Out, www.aimclearblog.com
- How did L’Oreal Become The Most Watched Beauty Brand?, www.reelseo.com
- How Meredith’s magazines are shifting to video, digiday.com
- Videos get views: why you should embed video content on your site, adsense.googleblog.com