The latest analyses, insights and strategies that inspire CMOs and marketers everywhere.
Marketing Day: YouTube’s Real-Time Ads, Google’s Latest Patent & Amazon’s VP Of Marketing
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Link Wars: The Force Awakens
Jan 20, 2016 by Winston Burton
Link building looked different a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away). Columnist Winston Burton explains how things have changed and what works today.
- Evaluating Link Quality For SEO Campaigns
Jan 20, 2016 by Andrew Dennis
What’s the best way to determine which links to pursue and which to pass up? Columnist Andrew Dennis shares his criteria.
- Google Announces “Real-Time Ads” So Marketers Can Jump On The Next Left Shark Moment
Jan 20, 2016 by Barry Levine
The tech giant is also beefing up its YouTube AdBlitz site and channel for Super Bowl ads.
- Can A Hybrid Email Sending Strategy Give You The Best Of Both Worlds?
Jan 20, 2016 by Steve Dille
Email marketers may think they need to choose between in-house and cloud-based technologies, but columnist Steve Dille argues there’s room for them to succeed together.
- Google, Apple, Yahoo Trying To Score Points With Local Officials During Super Bowl
Jan 20, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Silicon Valley tech companies are trying to score some points in the runup to the Super Bowl. According to the Wall Street Journal, Apple, Google, Yahoo, HP, SAP, Intuit, Uber and others are seeking to win favor with local governments by providing services and sponsorships.
- Now Is The Time For Digital Marketing To Embrace Scarcity
Jan 20, 2016 by Rob Rasko
Columnist Rob Rasko explains why publishers need to come to terms with a world of fewer ads — and why it will actually give them more leverage.
- Super Bowl 50 Advertisers: These Brands Are Ready To Play The Commercial Game
Jan 20, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
See which brands will be airing ads on the most-watched sports night of the year, along with their campaigns, teaser ads and more.
- Google Files Patent To Replace Social Media Marketers
Jan 20, 2016 by Tamar Weinberg
Google’s newest patent suggests copy to ensure that links shared in social media find wider distribution.
- Industry Reactions To IAB Uninviting AdBlock Plus To Leadership Summit
Jan 20, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
IAB’s move highlights issues ad blockers raise for the industry.
- What The 2015 Holiday Season’s 3 Biggest E-Commerce Surprises Mean For Marketers In 2016
Jan 20, 2016 by Jordan Elkind
Columnist Jordan Elkind discusses some lessons learned from the 2015 holiday shopping season and how marketers can apply them to this year’s strategy.
- SMS Marketing: An Often Forgotten Goldmine In A Good Mobile Strategy
Jan 20, 2016 by Brian Patterson
Looking for a new way to reach your customers that your competitors probably aren’t trying yet? Columnist Brian Patterson recommends SMS marketing. Read on to learn why.
- Yahoo Adds Native Inventory To BrightRoll Exchange
Jan 20, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
A new API gives buyers access to native ad inventory on Yahoo properties and other apps using Yahoo App Publishing.
- A CMO’s View: Amazon’s Neil Lindsay Says Customer Obsession Is Core To Company’s DNA
Jan 20, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
Amazon’s marketing leader shares how his brand aims to create a “magical” customer experience.
- Data Security And Privacy: Marketing’s Top Conundrum In 2016
Jan 20, 2016 by Josh Manion
With stronger regulations looming, US marketers need to put data privacy front and center. Columnist Josh Manion explains how enterprise tag management can help you manage customer data.
- Ad Exchange bRealTime Launches Biddr+ for Header Bidding
Jan 19, 2016 by Barry Levine
New service provides a “container” for multiple ad bidders, so a publisher’s site only needs one tag to call it.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Study: Quality Backlinks & Comprehensive Content Are Still Biggest Factors In Google Rankings
- The Blogger’s Guide To Nofollow Links
- 11 Things To Do Now To Keep Your AdWords Healthy In 2016
- Google Search Console Adds AMP Error Report
- Want To Speak At SMX London? Here’s How
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
Blogs & Blogging
- How Stay-at-Home Moms Can Run A Successful Blog, www.jeffbullas.com
- Google buys Bayhill Office Center in San Bruno from Hudson Pacific for $215 million, www.bizjournals.com
- LinkNYC’s free gigabit Wi-Fi is here, and it is glorious, www.engadget.com
- Ogilvy Promotes John Seifert as Successor to Global CEO Miles Young, www.adweek.com
- 7 Ways to Find Better Content Ideas, www.searchenginejournal.com
- Audio Content: How To Reach Your Busy Audience, heidicohen.com
- Content Marketing – It’s Going to Get Weird, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- NFL: the star quarterback of content marketing, econsultancy.com
- Two of Europe’s leading content marketing agencies, Seven and C3, unite to create the continent’s biggest specialist, www.martechadvisor.com
- Using Content Curation To Build A Recurring Income Stream, usabilitygeek.com
- 2016 Web Design Trends to Boost Conversions, www.getelastic.com
- 6 Smart Ways Retailers Can Use Heat Maps to Drive Conversions, streetfightmag.com
- The #1 Conversion Killer in Your Copy (and How to Beat It), www.copyblogger.com
- Translation Services to Boost WordPress Conversions, www.blogherald.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- Behind Every Digital Experience is an Individual Consumer, www.cmswire.com
- Designing for Kids Is Not Child’s Play, www.smashingmagazine.com
- Take Your Website to the Next Level, www.verticalresponse.com
Display & Contextual Advertising
- 3 Banner Ad Best Practices Debunked, www.convinceandconvert.com
- .boston was a “distraction” says gTLD seller, domainincite.com
- Mobile helped drive late surge in holiday online sales, www.retaildive.com
- Retailers are thinking mobile but still struggle to track conversions, digiday.com
- Wal-Mart combines its e-commerce and tech teams, www.internetretailer.com
- 3 must-know email tips for retailers in 2016, myemma.com
- 3 Surefire Ways to Grow Your Email List, blog.movableink.com
- Four Email Optimizations That Will Increase Your Click-Through Rates, www.marketingprofs.com
- How Often Should You Send Promotional Emails?, ignitevisibility.com
- Plugin Detects “Weak” Language in Emails – Avoid These Words, smallbiztrends.com
- The Top Email Marketing Challenges of 2016, www.marketingprofs.com
- Why e-mail continues to deliver retailers customers and clicks, www.retaildive.com
General Internet Marketing
- How CMOs Can Find Success in a Digital World, www.martechadvisor.com
- Most marketers can’t predict the customer journey and admit they aren’t maximizing revenue, venturebeat.com
- The Biggest Mistake That Brands Make When Working With Influencers, mackcollier.com
- The Secret to Account-Based Marketing Success, www.marketingprofs.com
- Which Channels Are Agency Executives and Senior Marketers Investing In?, www.emarketer.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Boxever: Closing our series B funding, www.boxever.com
- Marketing Cloud Companies Qualia and BlueCava Announce Merger, www.marketwired.com
- Vennli Updates Analytics Software With New Customer Segmentation And Data Visualization Features, vennli.com
- Verve Taps Innovative Digital Media Executive Gian LaVecchia to Lead Client Strategy, www.prnewswire.com
- 5 Tips For Executing Cross-Device Targeting, www.adweek.com
- Android’s great untapped marketing potential, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Facebook Adds Tor Support on Android Devices, blogs.wsj.com
- Facebook Tests New Web Browser for Flagship Mobile Apps, www.adweek.com
- Publishers scramble to prepare for Google’s fast mobile pages initiative, digiday.com
- Will WhatsApp become a primary conduit between businesses, consumers?, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- 10 Cool Things to Do on Pinterest for Business, smallbiztrends.com
- 3 Tips to Get More Out of Your Next Facebook Ad, blogs.constantcontact.com
- 5 Ways to Improve Your Snapchat Marketing, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- 61% of Fortune 500 CEOs Have No Social Media Presence, www.adweek.com
- Dangerous Social Marketing Habits and How to Break Them, simplymeasured.com
- Dear Facebook Ads: Bid Amount Is NOT An Advanced Option, www.clixmarketing.com
- Facebook Faces Rebuke From Indian Regulator, Wall Street Journal
- How are companies integrating social media in the contact center?, multichannelmerchant.com
- LinkedIn is once again driving big traffic to publishers, digiday.com
- Marketers to implement email and Facebook buy buttons in 2016, venturebeat.com
- More than 20 million people are now using LinkedIn in the UK, blog.linkedin.com
- New Photo Upload Options for Facebook Page Admins, www.adweek.com
- Nielsen Will Add Facebook, Instagram to Social TV Ratings, recode.net
- Six Simple Social Media Image Variations, blog.bufferapp.com
- The 3 Most Important Social Commerce Functions Explained, www.practicalecommerce.com
- The Social Metric Map You Need to See, simplymeasured.com
- Twitter takes its #HelloWorld campaign on the road to win over developers, venturebeat.com
- #Periscope: What Does the Future Hold for Twitter’s Popular Live-Streaming App?, www.adweek.com
- 3 Ways to Leverage YouTube for Your Small Business, 3qdigital.com
- How to Use Real-Time Video as a Content Marketing Tactic, www.toprankblog.com
- Most Brands Continue to Advertise Heavily on YouTube, www.emarketer.com
- Pinterest is about to get into video advertising, digiday.com
- Top 6 Mistakes Marketers Make on YouTube Influencer Campaigns, blog.kissmetrics.com