Get the most important digital marketing news each day.
Marketing Day: YouTube’s top ads in December, Facebook Live updates & Instagram ads
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- The flexibility requirement for SEO agencies
Jan 11, 2017 by Casie Gillette
SEO requires a broad skill set, but in an industry where things are constantly shifting, columnist Casie Gillette argues that perhaps the most important skill is the ability to adapt to change.
- YouTube Top 10 ads in December: Jennifer Hudson helps drive Shell’s “Best Day of My Life” to top of list
Jan 11, 2017 by Amy Gesenhues
Enlisting a number of artists, Shell is using the music video to promote its #MakeTheFuture campaign.
- Going beyond ‘right consumer, right time, right place’
Jan 11, 2017 by Phil Schraeder
Effective digital advertising is all about context, and columnist Phil Schraeder notes that in a cross-device world, getting context right requires a new set of tools and a new way of thinking.
- Why SEO & lousy content don’t mix
Jan 11, 2017 by Ryan Shelley
Content is an important part of search rankings, but columnist Ryan Shelley reminds us that quality trumps quantity.
- 3 ways to thrive in the year of customer experience
Jan 11, 2017 by Mike Sands
Columnist Mike Sands predicts that 2017 will be the year customer experience becomes a No. 1 priority for marketers and offers three tips to help your brand stay a step ahead.
- The B2I marketing organization: How IBM’s CMO of North America organizes for business-to-individual marketing
Jan 11, 2017 by Nadine Dietz & Erica Seidel
CMO of IBM North America Rashmy Chatterjee explains how she delivers on a vision to build trust and understand customers’ needs, in an interview with columnists Nadine Dietz and Erica Seidel.
- Facebook will let Pages broadcast live videos from desktop web
Jan 11, 2017 by Tim Peterson
Facebook is rolling out new live-streaming features for Pages, including web broadcasts and pinned comments.
- Twitter to shutter Dashboard, an app for businesses to manage accounts
Jan 11, 2017 by Tamar Weinberg
Twitter is killing its Dashboard business product six months after it was launched.
- Responsive ads for the Google Display Network: 6 months in
Jan 11, 2017 by Anna Shirley
As of January 31, AdWords advertisers will no longer be able to create or edit standard text ads for the Display Network, and Google is encouraging the adoption of responsive ads instead. Columnist Anna Shirley explains this new ad format and shares some results from her company’s initial testing.
- A marketer’s guide to Facebook’s fake news problem and what is being done to fix it
Jan 11, 2017 by Kristine Schachinger
What constitutes fake news, and what exactly is Facebook doing to combat it? Columnist Kristine Schachinger discusses the next steps in the social network’s battle against the spread of false information.
- Stop hogging the conversation with clients and higher-ups. How to share your insights while encouraging listener engagement
Jan 11, 2017 by Matt Umbro
Are you really paying attention to your listeners’ social cues when presenting? Columnist Matt Umbro explains why it’s critical to stop talking and instead encourage participation in a conversation.
- 4 ways to win the inbox in 2017
Jan 11, 2017 by Cynthia Price
A new year means new opportunities to step up your email marketing strategy. Start planning now with these 4 tips from contributor Cynthia Price.
- Instagram will show ads to the 150 million people viewing Stories daily
Jan 11, 2017 by Tim Peterson
Some time soon, Instagram will slot photo and video ads between Stories, its Snapchat clone that’s being used by half of its audience every day.
- Study: Gen Z more discriminating, more advertising-resistant than Gen X or Y
Jan 11, 2017 by Greg Sterling
They study helps reveal a demographic segment that represents more than two billion people globally.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- A snapshot of how Top 1000 retailers approach analytics, www.internetretailer.com
- Site Traffic a Key Success Measure for Most UK Marketers, www.emarketer.com
Blogs & Blogging
- 7 Ways To Save Some Money As A Blogger In 2017, www.blogherald.com
- 8 Reasons You’re Losing Money On Your Blog, www.problogger.net
- Blogging Trends That Bring Content Marketing Down to Business, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Amazon to pay C$1.1 million to settle Canada pricing case, www.reuters.com
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckberg hires David Plouffe and Ken Mehlman to the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, qz.com
- Facebook has all but admitted it’s a media company, qz.com
- Microsoft tries to soothe regulators and critics with new privacy controls, www.zdnet.com
- How publishers squeeze new traffic out of their old content, digiday.com
- How to create amazing how-to content, www.branded3.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 3 Signs of a Trustworthy Design Agency, blog.epicosity.com
- How Functional Animation Helps Improve User Experience, www.smashingmagazine.com
- HTTPS on NYTimes.com, New York Times
- Improve your Mobile UX with these Form Input Data Types, raventools.com
- Analyzing new top level domain registrations by country (Part 1), domainnamewire.com
- 5 Ecommerce Fulfillment Trends Impacting 2017 and Beyond, multichannelmerchant.com
- 7 Ways to Accelerate Your Online Store in 2017, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Are You Listening to Your In-Store Shoppers? Amazon Is, www.cmswire.com
- Why B2B Ecommerce Experiences Still Lag B2C, www.cmswire.com
- 7 Step Email Marketing Checkup for Retailers, smallbiztrends.com
- How to Set-up Your First Email Automation Program (And Win!), ignitevisibility.com
- Steal These Contextual Email Ideas for Your 2017 Campaigns, movableink.com
General Internet Marketing
- 5 Ways to Make Your Marketing Grow This Year, adage.com
- 71% Plan to Spend More on Digital Marketing Activities in 2017, www.searchenginejournal.com
- Five things to include in your digital transformation playbook, econsultancy.com
- Building Blocks: Siddhartha Bhattacharya, VP Global Marketing at Kodak Alaris talks Marketing Tech, www.martechadvisor.com
- The $200M Automation Mistake That Could Happen to Your Brand, www.cmswire.com
- Ask Yoast: AMP for small business owners, yoast.com
- How to Make Your Site Mobile-First in 2017, www.searchenginejournal.com
- It’s Time for Brands to Get Serious About Messaging Apps, www.emarketer.com
- More Than Half Of Age Data In Mobile Exchanges Is Inaccurate, adexchanger.com
- 3 Questions To Ask Before You Create a Facebook Ad, www.verticalresponse.com
- 4 Ways to Promote Your Products on Social Media, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- 64% of Marketers Have a Snapchat Account, According to New Report, www.adweek.com
- A Cheat Sheet to High-Converting Facebook Ad Creative, blog.kissmetrics.com
- Are You Seizing the Power of Social Media Attribution?, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Exploring How to Share Multiple Instant Articles in One Post, media.fb.com
- Facebook Ads Manager: The Complete, One-Stop Guide, blog.bufferapp.com
- Facebook makes it harder to notice when posts are edited, venturebeat.com
- Introducing: The Facebook Journalism Project, media.fb.com
- The Information’s Jessica Lessin: Facebook-media relations will worsen, digiday.com
- The Secret to $5 Customer Acquisition Costs on Facebook, blog.crazyegg.com
- What Social Media Is Media Means For Your 2017 Marketing, heidicohen.com
- 3 Types of Videos Every Sales Team Should Be Using Right Now, www.thesaleslion.com
- 5 Benefits to Using GIFs and Videos in PDF Marketing Materials, www.searchenginejournal.com
- A New Way To Discover Up-And-Coming Creators & Artists, youtube-creators.googleblog.com
- For Facebook, a Crucial Test of a New Video Ad Unit, www.emarketer.com
- The Top Facebook Live Trends to Know in January 2017, www.newswhip.com