New Google+ Updates Include Multiple Page Managers, Volume Control For Streams & Page Notifications
Today Google announced several Google+ features that will affect profiles, pages and notifications. These features will be rolling out over the next few days, just in time for the holidays! Here’s a look at the main enhancements included in this update:
Volume Control In Stream
One of the main gripes that users complained about on Google+ is the ability to control the messages that make it into their streams. This new feature allows users to throttle the number of posts on a per circle format. Google calls this feature “volume control” and touts the new ability for users to “graphic-equalize” their streams. This functionality should help make Google+ less noisy while ensuring users don’t miss posts from important sources.
A few weeks back, Google announced a new Google bar that would streamline content and highlight Google+ content. Google+ notifications are now being updated as part of this process.
Notifications will now allow users to get sneak previews of all updates without having to go to Google+ to see the full content. Added to the notifications are +1′s and shares of your posts.
Google launched pages for Google+ in a rather hurried fashion a few months back. Now, some well needed changes are being rolled out including:
- Up to 50 Managers Per Page
Now instead of 1 manager per Google+ page, up to 50 users can be added. This feature is long overdue and should make it much easier for large brands to operate on Google+.
- Notifications For Pages
Pages will now act more like traditional Google+ profiles as they will see notifications on interactions. These interactions include comments on posts, mentions, post +1′s and reshares.
- Better +1′s For Pages
One of the most confusing elements of Google+ pages has been keeping track of the +1ing of posts, adding of circles and +1 to web content. With this update Google aims to fix these numbers. The new aggregated user count will include users who have added the page to a circle or +1′ed a page.
Lastly, The photo galleries on Google+ will be getting a makeover. Photos will appear larger on the screen with a hida-able comments section on the right side of the screen. The tagging and editing of photos has also been improved. The new features allow for highlighting of tagged users and seasonal tools in the creative kit. See the video for the updates in action:
Look for these updates coming to Google+ over the next few days.
- Meet +1: Google’s Answer To The Facebook Like Button
- It’s Here: Google +1 Buttons For Websites
- How To Get Google +1 Buttons For Your Website
- Google +1 Reporting Now In Google Webmaster Tools
- Comparing Facebook Like vs. Google +1
- Has Facebook Become The Master Key To Unlocking The Web?
- Demystifying Facebook’s “People Are Talking About This” Metric
- Google+ Pages Now Open For Businesses, Brands, Places & More
- Recent Google+ Posts & “Add To Circles” Buttons Are Coming To Google’s Search Results
- Third Party Page Management Comes To Google+
- Up Close With Creating & Managing Google+ Pages
- A Look At Google+ Direct Connect For Google+ Pages
- Google+ Pages For Businesses: The AdWords Impact
- Google News Spotlight Now Spotlights Your Friends & Stories They +1
- Google+ Is Slowly Invading Google’s Main Search Results
- YouTube Launches New Look With Deeper Google+ & Facebook Integration
- Google+ Badge Tool Now Makes Facepile-Style Badges, +1 Counts To Be Consolidated
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Marketing Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Kick off each Monday with the best news and ideas in social media.