Sign up to receive weekly insights on video advertising and trends.
Unruly Ranks 2013’s Top 10 Christmas Video Ads
Measuring the total number of shares for holiday-themed video ads, viral video chart maker Unruly has compiled a list of the top ten Christmas video ads for 2013. At the top of the list is WestJet’s “Christmas Miracle” ad, a video that went viral early on during the holiday season.
Since its December 8 release last month, the WestJet video ad has generated 34.4 million views and more than two million shares. A heartwarming look at how the airline organized a surprise gift-giving event for a flight of lucky passengers, WestJet’s video continues to grow in popularity, earning 2,654 shares during the last 24 hours alone.
The top five videos of the year included Kmart’s “Show Your Joe” ranked No. 2, followed by ads from John Lewis Retail, Apple, and Purina.
Unruly’s Top Five Christmas Ads of 2013:
1. WestJet “Christmas Miracle: Real-time Giving” (34,459,089 views and 2,150,045 shares)
2. Kmart “Show Your Joe” (17,473,680 views and 1,814,970 shares)
3. John Lewis Retail “Christmas Advert 2013” (11,932,457 views and 1,139,809 shares)
4. Apple “Holiday TV Ad – Misunderstood” (6,730,422 views and 525,173 shares)
5. Purina “Hard to Be a Cat at Christmas Starring Grumpy Cat” ( 2,473,124 views and 324,576 shares)
There was a sizable gap in popularity between Unruly’s top five videos and the remaining videos that made the top ten list. While the No. 5 video from Purina won over two million views, the No. 6 video from Honda generated only 134,811 views. Honda did show up twice on the top ten list, with two of its videos featuring Michael Bolton taking the No. 6 and No. 10 spots.
Other brands to make Unruly’s top ten Christmas video ads of 2013 included KFC, French pay television company CANAL+ and supermarket chain Sainsbury’s.