Study Confirms Smartphones Now #1 Screen, Beating TV

A report released this week by Millward Brown takes a quantitative and qualitative look at multiscreen activity from a number of perspectives. The report is based on a global survey (n=12,000 respondents, 30 countries). The US sample was 444 people, with some behavioral monitoring and interviews.

I’m going to discuss just a few of the findings. However, there’s a great deal of interesting material in the report, which is free.

While this has been asserted by others in the past, Millward Brown confirmed that in the US daily smartphone screen time has now surpassed TV. That’s also true worldwide. If one combines smartphone and tablet screen time the total exceeds TV by nearly an hour per day.

Smartphone screen time vs. TV

The US portion of the study also found that 41 percent of the TV audience was simultaneously using a mobile device (tablet, smartphone). For that multiscreening audience, 70 percent are looking and “unrelated content” (called “stacking” in the report). The other 30 percent are exploring related content or taking some action tied to the content or advertising on TV (“meshing”).

Reasons For “Meshing” (Interacting Re TV Show/Ad Content)

Millward Brown reasons for meshing

Reasons For “Stacking” (Looking At Unrelated Content)

Reasons for stacking Millward Brown

TV advertising still captured the most attention and favorable attitudes compared with other screens, according to the study. Digital screens were otherwise comparable to one another.

Attitudes toward ads

Finally there remains a huge gap between time spent and ad spend. TV has more than its share (for time spent) of the ad spend whereas there’s a massive gap between mobile time and ad spend: a combined 44 percent of time vs. 11 percent of spend.

Ad-attention gap

That’s probably about to change dramatically. Mobile ad spending is expected to grow significantly on a global basis and in the US according to the latest forecast from eMarketer.

Related Topics: Channel: Mobile Marketing | Statistics: Market Share | Statistics: Mobile Marketing | Statistics: Online Advertising | Statistics: Popularity & Usage | Statistics: Spend Projections | Top News

Sponsored


About The Author: is a Contributing Editor at Search Engine Land. He writes a personal blog Screenwerk, about SoLoMo issues and connecting the dots between online and offline. He also posts at Internet2Go, which is focused on the mobile Internet. Follow him @gsterling.

Connect with the author via: Email | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn



Marketing Day:

Get the top marketing stories daily!  

Share

Other ways to share:
 

Read before commenting! We welcome constructive comments and allow any that meet our common sense criteria. This means being respectful and polite to others. It means providing helpful information that contributes to a story or discussion. It means leaving links only that substantially add further to a discussion. Comments using foul language, being disrespectful to others or otherwise violating what we believe are common sense standards of discussion will be deleted. You can read more about our comments policy here.

Comments are closed.

Get Our News, Everywhere!

Daily Email:

Follow Marketing Land on Twitter @marketingland Like Marketing Land on Facebook Follow Marketing Land on Google+ Subscribe to Our Feed! Join our LinkedIn Group Check out our Tumblr! See us on Pinterest

 
 

Click to watch SMX conference video

Join us at one of our SMX or MarTech events:

United States

Europe

Australia & China

Learn more about: SMX | MarTech


Free Daily Marketing News!

Marketing Day is a once-per-day newsletter update - sign up below and get the news delivered to you!