No women in tech? Women are invisible in tech? As part of the pushback against such problems and sometimes mistaken assumptions, Google I/O featured an end-of-day session with seven women who’ve been extremely successful in tech. And, the advice they shared was hardly for women only.
Speaking as part of the “7 Techmakers & A Microphone” session were:
- Kathy Kleiman, founder of the ENIAC Programmers Project
- Google’s ad chief Susan Wojcicki
- Anna Patterson, Vice President of Engineering in Artificial Intelligence for Google
- Johanna Wright, VP of Search & Assist for Google
- Diane Greene, Google board member
- Jean Wang, hardware lead and chief of staff for Google Glass
- Megan Smith, Google VP with Google[x]
The tales each told varied; some touched on challenges they’ve encountered being women in tech but much more commonly they shared things they believe helped them and that might help anyone, of any gender, in being successful.
You can watch the session video yourself below (jump to 5 hours, 15 minutes in, if it doesn’t automatically begin there):
Here’s my live blogging of the talk: