Get the most important digital marketing news each day.
Top 10 Most Tweeted 2014 Sports Events: Super Bowl No. 1, But World Cup Wins 6 Of The Top 10 Spots
Soccer and football dominated Twitter this year, with the most tweeted sporting events split among the World Cup, NFL and BCS championship.
When it comes to the most tweeted sporting events of 2014, this year’s FIFA World Cup dominated Twitter. The soccer tournament made up more than half the list for the top ten most tweeted sporting events in 2014.
While U.S. World cup matches ranked No. 2, No. 4, No. 7 and No. 8, this year’s Super Bowl was still the most tweeted sports event of the year.
Not only did the Super Bowl rank No. 1, but the Seattle Seahawks and Denver Broncos game was responsible for the most tweeted sports event minute of the year with 301,000 tweets occurring at 10:00 p.m. on February 2, 2014.
Football and soccer were the only sports to rank, with the top ten spots split between the World Cup, NFL and BCS National Championship.
Top 10 Most Tweeted 2014 Sports Events:
- Super Bowl XLVIII
- 2014 FIFA World Cup (Belgium vs U.S.)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup (Germany vs Argentina)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup (U.S. vs German)
- NFL Football (NFC Championship: San Francisco 49ers vs Seattle Seahawks)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup (Brazil vs German)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup (Ghana vs U.S.)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup (U.S. vs Portugal)
- NFL Football (AFC Championship: New England Patriots vs Denver Broncos)
- 2014 Vizio BCS National Championship (Auburn vs Florida State)
Twitter ranked its most tweeted sports events using Nielsen data. You can see each event’s average audience size and number of tweets, along with its broadcasting network here:
Twitter also ranked its most tweeted TV shows and live television events of 2014, which were both covered on Marketing Land:
- Top 10 Tweeted TV Shows In 2014: “The Walking Dead” No. 1, But “The Voice” Sets Single-Episode Record
- Top 10 Most Tweeted Live TV Events In 2014: Ellen’s Selfie Pushes Oscars To The Top Of The List