Get the most important digital marketing news each day.
Top 10 YouTube ads in November: Clash of Clans ‘Hog Rider’ ranks #1 with 29M views
Last month's top three YouTube ads generated more than 60M views - well over the 25.3 million views earned by October's top three video ads.
The most watched ad on YouTube in November was Clash of Clans’ “Hog Rider” spot, with 29 million views. The ad generated nearly triple the number of views won by October’s top ad — a spot from Google introducing its new Pixel phone.
In fact, the top three most watched ads on YouTube in October — from Google, Microsoft and Flash Royale — earned a combined 25.3 million views, while November’s top three ads generated 61.7 million total views.
When asked about the significant difference in video view totals for the two months, a Google spokesperson said YouTube often sees fluctuations from time to time, depending on the season or cultural moments: “For example, the February Leaderboard typically sees ads with higher views because of Super Bowl, and in this case, Christmas ads tend to get a huge following in November.”
Four of November’s top 10 ads were Christmas-themed ads: UK retailer John Lewis’s “#BusterTheBoxer” spot; Sainsbury’s “The Greatest Gift” ad; H&M’s ad starring Adrien Brody and directed by Wes Anderson; and an ad from the UK’s Heathrow Airport.
The John Lewis Christmas ad for the UK retailer — which ranked No. 2 this month, with 20.2 million views — was the most shared ad of the year, according to video analytics firm Tubular Labs. Although it was released less than a month ago, the ad has been shared online more than two million times.
YouTube also noted that the No. 1 ad from Clash of Clans was a 360-degree video, which likely helped drive more views.
November’s top 10 YouTube ads accounted for 2.3 million hours of watch time, more than double the 1.1 million hours of watch time accrued by October’s YouTube ad leaderboard.
YouTube’s Top 10 ads in November
1. Clash of Clans: Hog Rider 360° (29M views)
2. John Lewis: #BusterTheBoxer (20.2 views)
3. Sainsbury: The Greatest Gift (12.5M views)
4. H&M: Come Together (5M views)
5. KIA: The Try Guys Try Distracted Driving (4.3M views)
6. Heathrow Airport: Coming Home for Christmas (4.2M views)
7. Budweiser: Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series Champions (3.3M views)
8. Ford: Sailor Moon’s Ford Fusion Dream (3.1M views)
9. Apple: iPhone 7 (1.9M views)
10. Foot Locker: Week of Greatness featuring Tom Brady (1.9M views)