Step up your email marketing game with our weekly newsletter.
Variations on a marketing stalwart: Our top email marketing columns for 2016
Don't make the mistake of thinking you know all about email just because it's been around a while. Marketing Land contributors highlighted plenty of new possibilities for innovation in the most popular columns of the year.
Email may have been the internet’s first marketing medium, but that doesn’t mean it’s standing still. Trends like the growth of mobile, the adoption of marketing automation and the rise of voice interfaces have kept email marketers on their toes in 2016 — and Marketing Land’s contributors have helped all along the way.
Interestingly, our top email marketing column of 2016 is more about web and app advertising, though an understanding of email users’ intent can go a long way in making such efforts successful. There was plenty to talk about within the Gmail message window itself, too, as Chad White explained in his coverage of the inbox provider’s big move to support responsive design.
In addition to the opportunities presented by responsive design, tech newcomers like augmented reality, machine learning and virtual reality opened up new possibilities for email marketers this year. For more details on these trends and tips on improving your email programs, check out our top 10 columns of 2016.
- Gmail Ads: Email marketing without the emails by Laura Collins, published on 3/29/2016
Social activity: Facebook 165, Google+ 0, LinkedIn 258
- Gmail finally supports responsive design: answers to 4 burning questions by Chad White, published on 9/30/2016
Social activity: Facebook 189, Google+ 0, LinkedIn 287
- 5 Predictions For Email Marketing In 2020 by Chad White, published on 2/23/2016
Social activity: Facebook 298, Google+ 0, LinkedIn 658
- 7 Email Trends That Should Die In 2016 by Tamar Weinberg, published on 2/22/2016
Social activity: Facebook 140, Google+ 58, LinkedIn 404
- Freshen Up Your 2016 Email Strategy by Jose Cebrian, published on 1/18/2016
Social activity: Facebook 336, Google+ 64, LinkedIn 458
- Email marketing in the age of social media by Scott Heimes, published on 9/8/2016
Social activity: Facebook 393, Google+ 107, LinkedIn 536
- 6 keys to more effective email marketing by Mary Wallace, published on 7/19/2016
Social activity: Facebook 243, Google+ 0, LinkedIn 380
- What Pokémon Go can teach us about email marketing by Jason Warnock, published on 8/16/2016
Social activity: Facebook 268, Google+ 54, LinkedIn 394
- Email marketers, meet your new cubicle mate: machine intelligence by Chad White, published on 3/22/2016
Social activity: Facebook 111, Google+ 25, LinkedIn 234
- Why Virtual Reality May Become The New Normal In Email Marketing by Jason Warnock, published on 3/1/2016
Social activity: Facebook 179, Google+ 42, LinkedIn 264
Methodology: Columns published in 2016 are ranked in order of page views measured by Google Analytics. Data includes all columns published through November 30, 2016. Social data provided by SharedCount.