Sign up to receive weekly insights on video advertising and trends.
YouTube: Super Bowl Ads Have 140 Million Views, Totaling More Than 1.7 Million Hours
Company says Hyundai and Pokémon have the most-watched Super Bowl commercials so far on its platform.
With the Super Bowl just two days away, YouTube is out today with a reminder that it’s where people spend their time checking out the dozens of commercials and teasers that advertisers have already released.
How much time? YouTube says it’s seen almost 200 years’ worth of viewing so far this year. If my math is correct (and with help from some online converters), 200 years is about the equivalent of 1.75 million hours.
YouTube also says that official Super Bowl ads and teaser videos have racked up more than 140 million views, more than half of which have happened on mobile devices.
But in its unofficial fight with Facebook for online video viewership, YouTube likes to emphasize how much time people watch videos on its platform, not the number of video views. So if asked about data that show Facebook getting slightly more video views of Super Bowl commercials, YouTube would point out that videos auto-play in the Facebook News Feed, while on YouTube most viewing is an active choice from people who stay to watch the videos longer. And they’d also remind you that video views on Facebook are only three seconds, compared to 30 seconds on YouTube.
Most Popular Super Bowl Ads & Teasers On YouTube
Views are how YouTube put together its list of the most popular Super Bowl ads posted so far, and that list — with data reflecting views through February 3 — shows Hyundai, Pokémon and Pepsi in the top three spots and Turbo Tax holding down three of the top 10 spots.
Here’s YouTube’s list of the most-viewed Super Bowl ads/teasers so far.
- Hyundai – The Chase – Hyundai Super Bowl Commercial | The 2017 Hyundai Elantra
- Pokémon – #Pokemon20: Pokémon Super Bowl Commercial
- Pepsi – Jerry Rice and Shannon Sharpe Party Fail Study | Walmart | Pepsi
- AXE – AXE – Find Your Magic
- TurboTax – TurboTax 2016 Commercial “George Smoot Simple Questions” (Official :30) TV Ad
- TurboTax – TurboTax 2016 Commercial “Michio Kaku Absolute Zero” (Official :30) TV Ad
- UnitedHealthcare – UnitedHealthcare | Delivery :30
- Wix.com – Kung Fu Panda’s Po Discovers the Power of Wix | Wix.com #StartStunning 2016 Big Game Campaign
- TurboTax – TurboTax 2016 Commercial “S. James Gates W-2” (Official :30) TV Ad
- MINI USA – MINI USA | #DefyLabels Big Game TV Spot