From emotional analytics to Trump’s tweeting habits: Marketing Land’s most engaging stories of 2016
What were Marketing Land's social media communities chatting about this past year? Check out the posts that captured your attention.
Well, dear readers, we are mere hours away from officially making it through one of the more… unforgettable… years in recent memory. You sure were an interesting one, 2016, weren’t you? Sometimes in a good way. Sometimes in a *headdesk* way. And I’m not just referring to politics or pop culture. General ???-ness found its way into the online marketing industry, as well — as evidenced by some of our top content over the last 12 months.
Of course, it wasn’t all strange. Our tried-and-true MarTech Landscape, updated in March, blew minds all around and generated by far the most retweets, replies, favorites and clicks. Product announcements and redesigns were shared far and wide. Still, when one of the most major social networks has to own up to repeated miscalculations, and the tweeting habits of a presidential nominee turn hundreds of heads, you have to say to yourself… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
We tallied likes, favorites, shares, clicks, retweets and everything in between to come up with the list below. In continuing coverage of our most popular stories of 2016, may I present to you: The most engaging stories across Marketing Land’s Twitter and Facebook communities.
(Interesting thing to bear in mind: There was barely any content overlap between the two social communities. Different strokes for different folks!)
Marketing Land’s Most Social Tweets Of 2016
1. Infographic: The 2016 Marketing Technology Landscape — by Marketing Land, March 21 (This story has since been ported over to our new sister site, MarTechToday.com.)
— Marketing Land (@Marketingland) March 21, 2016
2. Google launches its Analytics 360 Suite to provide better marketing measurement tools for “micro-moments” — by Barry Levine, March 15
Google launches its Analytics 360 Suite to provide better marketing measurement tools for “micro-moments” https://t.co/zkQvAlD64k
— Marketing Land (@Marketingland) March 15, 2016
3. Facebook Audience Network partners with third-party mediation platforms, including Twitter’s MoPub — by Ginny Marvin, March 24
— Marketing Land (@Marketingland) March 24, 2016
4. Trump Mostly Tweeting From An iPhone 2 Weeks After Apple Boycott Call — by Tim Peterson, March 4
— Marketing Land (@Marketingland) March 4, 2016
5. Report: Europe readying “record-breaking” $3.4 billion antitrust fine against Google — by Greg Sterling, May 16
— Marketing Land (@Marketingland) May 16, 2016
6. Snapchat redesigns Discover tab to grab more attention for publishers — by Tim Peterson, June 7
— Marketing Land (@Marketingland) June 7, 2016
7. Google Analytics App now offers Google Now-like automated insights — by Ginny Marvin, September 2
— Marketing Land (@Marketingland) September 2, 2016
8. Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey Reassures #RIPTwitter Worries: Live Timeline Will Remain — by Danny Sullivan, February 6
— Marketing Land (@Marketingland) February 6, 2016
9. Inside Twitter’s video showcase at Tastemade’s Los Angeles studio — by Tim Peterson, May 13
— Marketing Land (@Marketingland) May 13, 2016
10. Content about content is king: 2016’s most popular columns on the topic — by Pamela Parker, December 27
— Marketing Land (@Marketingland) December 27, 2016
FAQ: Everything Facebook has admitted about its measurement errors — by Tim Peterson, December 16
— Marketing Land (@Marketingland) December 16, 2016
Facebook’s errors with metrics and reporting were as numerous as they were frustrating…
Speaking of which — on to Facebook!
Marketing Land’s Most Social Facebook Posts Of 2016
1. Google launches its Analytics 360 Suite to provide better marketing measurement tools for “micro-moments” — by Barry Levine, March 15
2. Google Analytics’ new User Explorer report shows individual, anonymized website interactions — by Matt McGee, April 13
3. Marketers, Welcome To The World Of Emotional Analytics — by Barry Levine, January 12 (This story has since been ported over to our new sister site, MarTechToday.com.)
4. Prime Air: Amazon confirms that it’s launching its own air cargo service — by Matt McGee, August 5
5. 6 custom Google Analytics reports you should use for every CRO project — by Jeremy Smith, July 7
6. Google (finally) launches cross-device retargeting — by Ginny Marvin, September 26
7. Google Home demo video which makes it look pretty awesome #io16 — by Danny Sullivan, May 18 (Not a story, but a video demo natively shared on Facebook)
8. Google Launches Autotrack To Help Sites Get More Out Of Universal Analytics — by Ginny Marvin, February 23
9. Google Files Patent To Replace Social Media Marketers — by Tamar Weinberg, January 20
10. WordPress releases plugin to support Facebook Instant Articles — by Tamar Weinberg, March 7
See ya in 2017, friends!
Methodology: Top tweets were identified by native Twitter analytics. Top Facebook posts were identified using Simply Measured analytics.