Get the most important digital marketing news each day.
Facebook Pages Get New, YouTube-Like Tools For Publishing & Managing Videos
Secret videos, expiration dates, custom thumbnails and a new Video Library for organizing everything are among today's announced upgrades.
As Facebook continues its focus on video content, it’s helping Page owners come along for the ride with a new set of tools announced today that will help video publishers control and manage their video content.
The upgrade means a new video upload process, and that’s where Page owners will see many of the new tools. Those include the options to:
- exclude videos from the News Feed and Timeline, and publish the videos only to the Page’s Videos tab
- prohibit the embedding of videos on third-party websites
- set a video as “secret,” which will make them accessible only via a direct URL
- categorize a video as entertainment, news and so forth
- add a custom thumbnail for each video
- set an expiration date for a video, while still saving its Insights data after the video is removed
- restrict a video’s audience by age and gender
The upgrades align the Facebook video publishing experience much more closely with what YouTube already offers its video publishers. Here’s a look at the advanced upload options from Facebook’s announcement:
Facebook is also giving Page owners a new Video Library to manage all uploaded videos. Available via the Publishing Tools tab, this lets Page owners make edits to videos individually or in bulk.
Facebook says all of these upgrades will be rolled out globally to Pages “over the coming weeks.”
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Marketing Land. Staff authors are listed here.