Marketing Day: April Fools pranks, Snapchat story search & Reddit ads
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Snapchat makes it possible to search for Stories by keywords
Mar 31, 2017 by Danny Sullivan
The change should make it easier for people to discover more content on Snapchat, perhaps leading to more time spent in the app.
- April Fools’ Day 2017: Play Ms. Pac-Man, Amazon Echo’s Petlexa, Google Gnome & more
Mar 31, 2017 by Matt McGee
The annual day (or days, as has become the case) of pranks from major search/marketing/tech companies is underway.
- Reddit launches a new self-serve ad platform
Mar 31, 2017 by Tamar Weinberg
New platform offers changes to how advertisers are billed, how campaigns are created and how metrics are reported.
- Facebook expands branded content program, will mark posts as ‘paid’
Mar 31, 2017 by Tamar Weinberg
Facebook is opening branded content to more brands, updating policies and making it more obvious when a post has been paid for.
- Search & social integration: Takeaways from SMX West
Mar 31, 2017 by Caitlin Jeansonne
Search and social don’t have to live in separate silos. Contributor Caitlin Jeansonne recaps SMX West sessions that looked at how SEO and social media teams can complement each other to provide stronger results.
- Reaching users wherever they are
Mar 31, 2017 by Josh Todd
Columnist Josh Todd explains why omnichannel marketing will be increasingly necessary for keeping your customers engaged and moving them through the sales funnel.
- How to decide ‘Should I bid?’
Mar 31, 2017 by Kevin Lee
Are your paid search ads cannibalizing your organic search traffic? Columnist Kevin Lee explores the problem of determining when it’s worth it to bid and when it’s better to let organic do the work.
- Google Maps ad traffic steadily growing
Mar 31, 2017 by Andy Taylor
Columnist Andy Taylor of Merkle shares data on the growth of ad traffic from Google Maps, including conversion rate and CPC data by device.
- Baidu becomes Google’s biggest ally in mobile page speed
Mar 31, 2017 by Hermes Ma
Chinese search engine Baidu will soon support Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) in its search results, expanding the reach of AMP significantly. Columnist Hermas Ma believes the worldwide impact on mobile page speed will be notable.
- Are you grateful for digital?
Mar 31, 2017 by Lewis Gersh
In a world where we’re bombarded with digital interruptions, it’s hard to feel grateful for digital. So what’s a marketer to do? Columnist Lewis Gersh has an answer to the conundrum.
- How’s your customer data? Learn how to keep it fresh and accurate
Mar 30, 2017 by Digital Marketing Depot
Ask any marketer what shape their customer data is in and chances are good you’ll hear: “poor.” In this webinar, we’ll learn how to fix that, and how to build a solid foundation with your customer dataset. If you think network data means gathering business cards at lunch, you’re in for a surprise. Today’s successful […]
- Keep your marketing campaigns organized across media platforms
Mar 31, 2017 by Digital Marketing Depot
While digital media is a huge beneft for many companies, it is not without its problems. One of the biggest difculties is staying organized and consistent, because digital media has so many channels to choose from. Misbranding or getting something wrong or confused can really cause an issue for any company, so consistency and organization […]
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
Blogs & Blogging
- 6 Ways to Energize Your Content Marketing Team (and Your Content), Content Marketing Institute
- How Content Helps the UK’s Biggest Grocery Stores Corner the Market, Contently
- The Periodic Table of Landing Page Elements (and How to Use Them for Explosive Success), www.leadpages.net
- What’s a Good Conversion Rate?, Portent
Display & Contextual Advertising
- Apple Opens Up, Allowing Third-Party Ad Measurement Via NBCU Deal, Ad Exchanger
- Banner ads: best creative practices, 3Q Digital
- Pulling Ads from Google: Smart Move or PR Stunt?, www.wordstream.com
- Premium renewals create headaches for domain buyers, Domain Name Wire
- Amazon Business Is Coming For You, Distributors, www.cmswire.com
- Lipton’s Ecom Site Brews Up More Conversions With AI, Ad Exchanger
General Internet Marketing
- 5 Reasons CMOs Are Failing at ROI, www.martechadvisor.com
- Get Smart Content and Bombora Form Partnership to Empower the Next Generation of Marketing Personalization with Intent-Based Insights, globenewswire.com
- Reshift Media Revolutionizes Facebook and Google Advertising for Multi-Location Businesses, www.reshiftmedia.com
- Connatix Launches Platform Focused On Brand Safety, MediaPost
- Google’s AI Hasn’t Passed Its Biggest Test Yet: Hunting Hate, Bloomberg
- 6 Ways to Get Around Google’s Mobile Sign Up Form Penalty, AWeber
- Introducing the Mobile Sites certification, for web developers, developers.googleblog.com
- Starbucks to test mobile order and pay-only store at headquarters, Reuters
- The New Twitter @-Replies Are Giving Me an Ulcer, motherboard.vice.com
- 3 Keys to the Future of Social Media Marketing, Marketo
- 5 Effective Ways Your Business Can Sell on Pinterest, blogs.constantcontact.com
- Paid Social Targeting: Winners and Losers, www.beyondthepaid.com
- Rethinking our default profile photo, Official Twitter Blog
- Study: Only 22% of consumers have engaged with a chatbot, www.retaildive.com
- YouTube creators have complained about declines in ad revenue, www.recode.net
- The ‘Brand Safety’ Narrative Tearing Up YouTube Is All Wrong, Ad Age