Get the most important digital marketing news each day.
Marketing Day: Back-to-school shopping, Pinterest updates & the FTC-Uber settlement
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Google Search Console’s 7/13/17 update: What really changed?
Aug 16, 2017 by Kyle Blanchette
Columnist Kyle Blanchette notes that after Google’s recent update to the Search Analytics report in Search Console, many of Merkle’s clients saw a significant increase in the total number of keywords reported per day.
- Why the marketing campaign is dead and what should replace it
Aug 16, 2017 by Justin Dunham
It’s time to stop thinking in terms of campaigns. Contributor Justin Dunham says marketers need to take a more iterative approach and instead think in terms of programs — algorithms, assets and continuous optimization.
- Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP): IS faster better?
Aug 16, 2017 by Digital Marketing Depot
Google has doubled down on Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP), its open source initiative designed to improve web page speed and performance for mobile users. More than 2 billion AMP pages have been published from over 900,000 domains, and many online publishers report significant gains in both traffic and conversions as a result of AMP adoption.
- TeacherLists.com partners with online retailers to ease headache of back-to-school shopping
Aug 16, 2017 by Amy Gesenhues
The platform currently has more than one million school supply lists uploaded from US grade schools and middle schools.
- Nailing down ads for the holiday season
Aug 16, 2017 by Thomas Stern
E-commerce marketers, are you prepared for the holiday season? Columnist Thomas Stern shares some ideas on where to invest your paid media dollars to maximize holiday sales.
- Google’s big gamble on ad blocking and why you should care
Aug 16, 2017 by Blaise Lucey
Google’s plan to release an ad blocker for Chrome could affect a sizable portion of the display market. Contributor Blaise Lucey explains what it means for marketers and how they can start rethinking display.
- Retailers: Here are the building blocks for winning the digital shelf
Aug 16, 2017 by Andrew Waber
As the busy holiday season fast approaches, columnist Andrew Waber explains why it’s important for marketers to build on a foundation of data and analysis and tap dedicated staff for their most important retail channels.
- Pinterest now lets people zoom in on pins, has redesigned visual search icon
Aug 16, 2017 by Tim Peterson
Users no longer have to be signed in to Pinterest to use its visual search Chrome extension.
- Performance Horizon can now predict campaign results for its affiliates & partners
Aug 16, 2017 by Barry Levine
UK-based firm says this machine learning-based capability is the first for this kind of platform.
- ironSource’s new Ad LTV Prediction tool shows app ad revenue trends across ad networks
Aug 16, 2017 by Barry Levine
The Tel Aviv-based supply-side/ad mediation platform says it can now show in-app ad impression trends from 20+ ad networks at once.
- TAG sees its ad tech verification program aimed at cleaning up digital advertising grow rapidly
Aug 16, 2017 by Ginny Marvin
Trustworthy Accountability Group says registration applications are up 75% since April.
- What to expect at MarTech? Here’s our epic preview
Aug 16, 2017 by Scott Brinker
I have an allergy to hype. I know, that’s an unfortunate condition given that I’m in the field of marketing technology. It’s like being a lactose-intolerant maitre fromager. Luckily, the symptoms are relatively mild — mostly involuntary rolling of the eyes and rapid finger-twitching on the delete key.
- FTC-Uber data settlement subjects company to privacy audits for next 20 years
Aug 15, 2017 by Greg Sterling
FTC argued that Uber misrepresented data privacy and security protections for riders and drivers.
- 6 tips for using location information to boost conversion
Aug 15, 2017 by Wesley Young
Columnist Wesley Young looks at how far consumers are willing to travel to shop at local stores and how to use your store’s location to boost conversion of your marketing campaigns.
- 5 mindset mistakes you may be making when it comes to SEO
Aug 15, 2017 by Tom Demers
Sometimes even the smartest SEOs are guilty of missing the forest for the trees. Columnist Tom Demers delves into some common attitudes and behaviors that can prevent your campaigns from reaching their full potential.
- How to generate ideas when competitive analysis shows you nothing
Aug 15, 2017 by Julie Joyce
Columnist Julie Joyce explains how to find link-building inspiration when a competitive link analysis leaves you empty-handed.
- Martech enablement series: Part 2 — The race team analogy
Aug 15, 2017 by Peter Ladka
In the second installment of a nine-part series, contributor Peter Ladka discusses how to create a “race team,” develop a strategy, build and maintain the race car (your martech stack) and run the races (execute your strategy).
- 5 ways to ramp up your digital media measurement
Aug 15, 2017 by David Booth
From setting well-defined goals to digital attribution, columnist David Booth shares ways to improve your digital media measurement and get the most out of your next marketing dollar.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Apple Readies $1 Billion War Chest for Hollywood Programming, Wall Street Journal
- Apple, Facebook, Google and other tech giants tell the Supreme Court to protect cellphone data in a key, upcoming case, Recode
- Facebook’s AI assistant M expands to Australia, Canada, South Africa, and the U.K., VentureBeat
- 5 Ingredients to Master the Perfect Content Marketing Recipe, Top Rank Marketing Blog
- Building a Better UGC Library though Content Syndication, MarTech Advisor
- How to Create Ridiculously Good Content, Duct Tape Marketing
- 5 Ways a Hypermedia API Simplifies Ecommerce, Get Elastic
- Amazon Offers Instant Pickup in Five Cities, Multichannel Merchant
- Will Amazon’s new return policy help or hurt Marketplace sellers?, Retail Dive
- 3 Ways Email Personalization is Ineffective Without AI, MarTech Advisor
- Email Subject Line Length: Is Brevity Better?, MarketingProfs
- Five ideas to increase your email’s perceived value, MarketingSherpa Blog
General Internet Marketing
- Digital Ad Frequency: Impact on Awareness and Purchase Intent, MarketingProfs
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Influencer Marketing, Simply Measured
- The secret to successful influencer marketing? Letting go of control, Think with Google
Internet Marketing Industry
- 4C Surpasses $1 Billion in Annualized Media Spend and Introduces Pacing Dashboard, Market Wired
- Beyond the Great [App] Wall of China [Guide], AppsFlyer
- Infogix Releases 2017 Midyear Update on 2017 Trends, PR Web
- B2B marketing automation software is underused and symptomatic of the industry, Econsultancy
- Building Blocks: Praveen Asthana, CMO of Forcepoint Talks Marketing Tech, MarTech Advisor
- Think marketing tech vendor growth is finished? No, it’s Finnish!, Chief Marketing Technologist
- Google Allo arrives on the web, only pairs with Android phones at launch, TechCrunch
- How mobile sites performed during Q2 2017, Mobile Marketer
- More expensive subscription apps have higher engagement, Mobile Marketer
- Celebrating a Birthday? Now You Can Make It Even More Meaningful, Facebook Newsroom
- LinkedIn’s New Feature ‘Active Status’ Is Interesting (And On By Default), Forbes
- Paid Social: Social Media Advertising Best-Practices, MarketingProfs
- How to Use LinkedIn Native Video, Social Media Examiner
- Preparing Your Marketing for Vertical Video, MarTech Advisor
- The 20 Best Food YouTubers & Channels (Mouth-Watering), MediaKix