Marketing Day: Chrome Adds Push Notifications, Google’s Mobile Friendly Update & More
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- With Chrome Notifications, Google Lets Anyone Turn Web Sites More Into Apps
Notifications, no app required? That’s what Chrome is now delivering for desktop and Android users. “Add To Homescreen” option also offered.
- Tomorrow Is Mobilegeddon: What You Need To Know Today About Google’s Mobile Friendly Update
Whether you call it Mobilegeddon, Mopocalypse or something else, Google’s mobile-friendly update arrives tomorrow.
- Send Out An “S.O.S.” to Improve Your Database Email Marketing
Columnist Daniel Faggella offers tips on how you can use broadcast email messages to solicit feedback and improve your marketing strategy.
- Nokia Coming Back As Android Smartphone Brand In 2016
Stephen Elop, then Nokia CEO, famously said that the Android OS didn’t offer the company a sufficient opportunity for differentiation in the global smartphone marketplace. Accordingly Nokia exclusively adopted the Windows mobile OS instead.
- Soon All Google Ad Products Will Be Encrypted, Yahoo To Follow Suit
Both Google & Yahoo are pushing ahead the “HTTPS Everywhere” movement with the announcement of plans (and a dedication to creating) secure online ads.
- Gigya Q1 Report: Facebook Extends Social Login Advantage
Facebook now has a 64% share of the social login market, leading Google+ by a record 43 percentage points.
- Trademark Policing: Ninja Techniques Of Online Reputation Management
Ignoring infringement can result in erosion of your brand, warns columnist Chris Silver Smith. He offers up some tips for online trademark policing.
- Marketers, Is Your Data Scalable?
As big data continues to be top of mind in marketing, columnist James Green outlines the questions you should be asking to get your data to work at scale.
- Purina’s “Dear Kitten” Video Series Proves BuzzFeed Is The Cat’s Pajamas For Content Marketers
Five questions with the brand’s Director of Content on how the viral video hit has generated more than 50 million views.
- Foursquare Turns To Location Data For Revenue, Joining Crowded Field
Foursquare boldly announced at one point that it wanted to be the “location layer for the internet.” Now the company is trying to make good on that aspiration and cultivate new sources of revenue at the same time.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Google Web History Adds Download Option & Drops Filter Options
- New AdWords Campaign Detail Reporting Options Give X-Ray Vision Inisght Into Campaigns
- Writing Ad Copy That Converts – April 30 Webcast
- Troubleshooting AdWords Conversion Tracking For Non-Techies
- Tomorrow Is Mobilegeddon – Are You Ready For The Google Mobile Friendly Update?
- 5 Ways Sites Can Dodge Google’s Doorway Page Update
- France Trying To Force Disclosure Of Google Algorithm, Wants To Regulate the SERP
- Getting Better, But Google Still Has Work On Piracy: The Game Of Thrones Story
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Data Is the New Middle Manager, www.wsj.com
- The Key to Analytics for the Masses, www.cmswire.com
- United Airlines Uses Identity To Soar Above Data Silos, adexchanger.com
Blogs & Blogging
- 10 Online Marketing Tips That Go Beyond Twitter and Facebook, smallbiztrends.com
- How I Write Effective Post Titles (and Why it Takes Hours), www.blogtyrant.com
- How to Promote Your Blog Effectively, www.adweek.com
- Make Money Blogging for Real: 3 Must-Know Factors, www.problogger.net
- Punching Up Your Blog Posts, www.searchenginejournal.com
- BuzzFeed Deleted Posts Because of Business-Side Pressures, adage.com
- Elon Musk Had a Deal to Sell Tesla to Google in 2013, Bloomberg
- Sharon Carty to be Editor-in-Chief of Yahoo Autos, yahoo.tumblr.com
- 4 Marketing Lessons From the Creator Movement, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Fill Your Content Marketing Calendar Without Really Trying, heidicohen.com
- How Big Brands Get Permission to Use UGC, www.convinceandconvert.com
- How to Repurpose Content in a Clear Way, www.ducttapemarketing.com
- The Onion’s Custom Content Agency Makes Brands Seriously Funny, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Up Your Game With a New Content Distribution Strategy!, smallbiztrends.com
- 15 Landing Page Ideas to Inspire Your Next Campaign, www.wordstream.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- Ex-Microsoft Designer Explains the Move Away from Metro, www.thurrott.com
- How Great Startups Build Brands With The Right Words, blog.kissmetrics.com
- Let Your Users Wait, uxmag.com
Display & Contextual Advertising
- Five Reasons Customers Pay More Attention to Influencers Than Your Display Ads, www.marketingprofs.com
- Australia considers dumping the .com, domainincite.com
- Is Amazon.com the biggest user of new domain names?, domainnamewire.com
- Top-Level Domains Owned by Brands Gaining Momentum, blog.fairwindspartners.com
- Warren Buffett party firm beats Google to .fun, domainincite.com
- What to do with Extra Unused Domains, www.domaininvesting.com
- 10 Retail Marketing Ideas to Boost Sales, www.verticalresponse.com
- 4 Ways to Use Social Proof on an Ecommerce Site, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Chinese government fines Alibaba for deceptive pricing by marketplace sellers, www.internetretailer.com
- Despite Time Spent, Mobile Still Grabs Minute Share of Retail Dollars, www.emarketer.com
- Four key highlights from our new Technology for Ecommerce Report 2015, econsultancy.com
- Single Customer View: Myth or Omnichannel Nirvana?, www.getelastic.com
- The Current State Of E-Commerce Filtering, www.smashingmagazine.com
- Where Multichannel and Omnichannel Selling Diverge, www.cmswire.com
- White House hires chief digital officer: 5 reasons why retailers should, too, www.internetretailer.com
- Email Etiquette: Do Consumers Like Humor and Informality?, www.marketingprofs.com
- Get Better Results: Grow Clients’ Email Lists the Right Way, www.verticalresponse.com
- How to Write a Great Subject Line, blogs.constantcontact.com
- No Email Marketing Strategy is Complete Without These Two Tactics, unbounce.com
- Visual Content + Context = Better Engagement and ROI for Email Marketers, blog.movableink.com
General Internet Marketing
- A 2-sided silver bullet for marketing and sales alignment?, chiefmartec.com
- Five Things Digital Marketers Can Learn From Software Developers, www.marketingprofs.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Act-On Marketing Automation Is a Technology Essential for Sales, press.act-on.com
- Mapp Media Adds Programmatic Buying Service, www.realwire.com
- Nada Stirratt Named Chief Executive Officer of Verve Mobile, www.prnewswire.com
- Do not fetishize technology without consideration to consumer behavior, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Android Wear: wear what you want, get what you need, Official Google Blog
- Google Wallet funds are now FDIC insured, says report, www.theverge.com
- Merchants’ limited understanding of mobile transactions presents risk fraud: report, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Programmatic Sellers vs. Buyers: Who’s More Hooked On Mobile?, www.emarketer.com
- The Apple Watch: bringing marketers closer to customers than ever before?, econsultancy.com
- Think Beyond Marketing: Embrace the Connected Local Economy, streetfightmag.com
- Quora Reviews: How to Use Them for Your Brand Reputation Managment, www.internetmarketingninjas.com
- 11 Ways to Boost Facebook Engagement for Small Businesses, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- 5 Tips For Getting The Most Out of Twitter Chats, www.adweek.com
- 5 Ways to Succeed With Pinterest Promoted Pins, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Big Dogs Trail in Forrester’s Social Relationship Wave, www.cmswire.com
- Brands light up Twitter for 4/20, digiday.com
- Does Your Brand Truly Engage on Social Media?, simplymeasured.com
- Easier than ever to have private conversations , www.Twitter.com
- How Alex and Ani turned its biggest social media weakness into a strength, www.internetretailer.com
- How to Increase Website Traffic From Social Media, www.razorsocial.com
- Is there a Facebook ad bubble?, econsultancy.com
- Nestle: How Local Social Success Drives a Global Brand, www.socialbakers.com
- New Facebook Tool: How To Use It To Convert Comments Into Sales, www.jeffbullas.com
- Optimize Your Company’s Linkedin Page with These 4 Tips, www.martechadvisor.com
- Powerful Instagram photos take us behind the scenes of the shots that won the Pulitzer, qz.com
- Publishers take ad-targeting cues for Facebook posts, digiday.com
- STUDY: Facebook Video Ads Thrive; Twitter Advertisers Must Go Mobile, www.adweek.com
- Targeting Teens? Get on Instagram, www.emarketer.com
- The Facets of a Social Network, www.compukol.com
- The Incredible Jun: A Town that Runs on Social Media, medium.com
- The Quick, Easy Guide to Build a Social Listening Dashboard, blog.bufferapp.com
- Twitter Sells Sports Tickets in Tweets, Beginning With NBA Playoffs, recode.net
- WhatsApp Hits 800 Million Users – 1 Billion by Year-End?, blogs.wsj.com
- Why Did Twitter Drop Datasift? Why Did Facebook Partner with Them?, www.adweek.com
- Facebook Video vs. YouTube: The Changing Video Landscape, www.brianhonigman.com
- Is Facebook Trying to Edge Out YouTube?, www.adweek.com
- Meerkat vs. Periscope: How Close is the Race?, www.adweek.com
- Opinion: 5 principles for live-streaming success, digiday.com
- Snickers Shows YouTubers Are Not YouTubers When They’re Hungry, www.reelseo.com
- Wistia Video Analytics: 3 Reasons B2B & B2C Companies Should be Measuring Their Video, www.thesaleslion.com
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily Marketing Land. Staff authors are listed here.