Get the most important digital marketing news each day.
Marketing Day: Clif Bar CMO Profile, Facebook Shopping Pages & Google Earnings
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Google Beats Expectations With $17.7 Billion, Mobile Search, YouTube Revs Grow
Google just announced earnings and profits that beat analyst expectations. Total revenues were $17.7 billion. The company said it had roughly $69 billion in cash and cash equivalents on hand.
- Google Wins Against Plaintiffs Who Argued Data Mingling Violated Privacy Rights
- Both Google And Companies That Didn’t Prepare For Mobile Face Uphill Struggle [Report]
Advertisers are paying higher prices for fewer clicks on mobile search; Facebook mobile display ad engagement is growing while Google’s declines.
- Lexus Teams With SNL Writers Paula Pell And James Anderson For Second Season of “Hudson Valley Ballers”
Luxury automaker Lexus promotes “innovation” by featuring inspiring original media via its L/Studio Project.
- LOL…WHAT?!? SEOs Have A Field Day With Google’s SEO Job Posting
The SEO industry fills Twitter with snark, jokes and plenty of reactions to the news that Google is looking for an SEO Manager.
- Wanted: Session Ideas For Marketing Land’s SocialPro Conference
We want your input to help us plan our upcoming Marketing Land SocialPro conference (formerly known as SMX Social Media Marketing), which will be taking place in Las Vegas November 18–19, 2015.
- Despite #PrimeDayFail Complaints, Amazon Says Prime Day Was Better Than Black Friday & Will Be Back
Company touts more units sold than last year’s Black Friday and the highest number of Prime membership sign-ups in a single day.
- Report: Half Top 100 Digital Properties’ Audiences Are Now Mobile-Only
The gap between mobile devices and the PC is growing. Last week Gartner and IDC reported that Q2 PC sales were down between 9.5 and 11.8 percent year over year.
- 3 Ways To Maximize Data And Increase Engagement Across Email Communications
Columnist Paul Ford discusses what marketers should bear in mind in order to deliver the best email experience and strengthen engagement.
- Responsive Is The McDonald’s Cheeseburger Of Mobile SEO
Columnist Bryson Meunier explains why for skilled SEO practitioners, responsive design may have the most risks.
- Commerce Is Coming: Facebook To Test Shopping Within Pages
Soon, not only will you be able to like, poke & share on Facebook, but thanks to a new test you will also be able to purchase product.
- Clif Bar’s Marketing VP Cooks Up Branding Strategy Aimed At Health-Conscious Consumers
Get to Know: Clif Bar Executive Vice President of Marketing Michelle Ferguson
- Google’s Emotional Ad About Transgender Transition Airing On ABC During The ESPY Awards
The YouTube spot-turned-TV-ad appears on ABC nationally Wednesday night.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Building Natural Links to Your Content — July 21 Webcast
- US Paid Search Growing But At Slower Rate, Google Brand CPCs Surge [Report]
- 7 Mobile Landing Page Tips You Can Implement Tomorrow!
- Most Googled Products On The Planet In One Epic Map
- Are Search Engines Responsible For Reputation? Yes, Virginia, They Are. Big Time!
- Google Patent Search Upgrade Adds Prior Art & Scholar Results
- Bing Brings Search To The Forefront Of The New Bing Maps Preview
- Google Logo Honors Journalist & Civil Rights Leader Ida B. Wells On Her 153rd Birthday
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Big Data and Flexible Ethics, www.cmswire.com
- Three key takeaways from our new Measurement and Analytics Report 2015, econsultancy.com
Blogs & Blogging
- Ask Yourself: How Do Readers See Your Blog?, www.problogger.net
- Essential Blogging Resource for Marketers: Your Complete Guide, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Preparing your blog post, yoast.com
- As the Twitter Turns: Comms Head Gabriel Stricker Out in “Shift” in Strategy, recode.net
- Former Reddit CEO Ellen Pao: The trolls are winning the battle for the Internet, www.washingtonpost.com
- Google Online Security Blog: More Visible Protection Against Unwanted Software, googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com
- 10 Content Creation Lessons From Apple, www.searchenginejournal.com
- 4 Types Of Interactive Content That Drives Leads, www.searchenginepeople.com
- 5 Ways to Make Every Moment a Content Opportunity, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- How to Decide Which Content to Sell and What to Give Away for Free, www.copyblogger.com
- How to Develop an Authoritative Voice in Any Content Niche, www.komarketingassociates.com
- Does Gated Content Really Increase Subscriber Rates?, blog.crazyegg.com
- New Research Reveals How to Turn More Prospects into Customers, www.pardot.com
- One Weird Trick for Better Landing Pages, www.wordstream.com
- What is conversion rate optimisation (CRO) and why do you need it?, econsultancy.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
Display & Contextual Advertising
- Banner “Fraud” Doesn’t Matter, medium.com
- Study With Major Brands Compares Ad Recall for Mobile and Desktop Promos, www.adweek.com
- The falling value of a .info domain name, domainnamewire.com
- Top 20 Best New gTLDs Based on Quality, globerunner.com
- “Tsunami” of Omnichannel Ecommerce Coming, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Amazon Changes Title Character Counts & Rules For Kitchen Sellers, www.marketingwords.com
- eBay Reports Mixed Q2 Results On Sales Of $4.4B and EPS Of $0.76, TechCrunch
- Four ecommerce tech trends to watch in 2015, econsultancy.com
- How 20 Years of Amazon Changed Retail, www.wsj.com
- How Form Usability Can Increase Your E-commerce Conversions, www.usertesting.com
- Is Your Business Ready for Digital Commerce?, smallbiztrends.com
- Online battle royal: Amazon vs. Wal-Mart, www.internetretailer.com
- “Please Email Me”, blog.movableink.com
- 3 Reasons to Use Facebook Ads to Promote Your Emails, blogs.constantcontact.com
- 3 tips to reform your form and deliver more email leads, myemma.com
- How to Explain DKIM in Plain English, blog.returnpath.com
- Major Email Provider Trends in 2015: Gmail’s Lead Increases, blog.mailchimp.com
- What is your email personality?, yahoomail.tumblr.com
- Why Brands Should Care About Millennials’ Love of Email, www.marketingprofs.com
General Internet Marketing
- 4 Kickass Strategies For Aligning Your Sales & Marketing Teams With Account-Based Marketing, www.martechadvisor.com
- 5 Creative Ways To Build Your Business’ Brand, www.ducttapemarketing.com
- CMOs’ Top Goals and Challenges, www.marketingprofs.com
- Mid-Year Assessment: 3 Quick Tips for Enhancing Your Digital Marketing to Win 2015, www.silverpop.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Built.io Contentstack Releases Biggest Update Since Launch, www.built.io
- Cinarra Systems Raises $20 Million Series B Funding Led by SoftBank, Market Wired
- CoolaData Continues Global Expansion with U.S. Launch, PR Newswire
- Failure to Track 49 Percent of Mobile Website Conversions is Jeopardizing Marketing Budgets, www.dialogtech.com
- Kahuna Partners With Segment For Personalized Campaigns, www.kahuna.com
- Origami Logic Unveils Framework for Marketing Signals, www.martechadvisor.com
- App Annie report: Google Play’s downloads top the App Store as Apple retains revenue lead, thenextweb.com
- Developers, YMDC is Back! Yahoo Mobile Developer Conference in New York City, yahoo.tumblr.com
- Have mobile-driven sales events gotten out of hand?, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- It is simply too early to call the Apple Watch a flop, qz.com
- Smart Watch-Sporting Males Pass on Mobile Apps, www.emarketer.com
- The Apple Watch: A Guide for Marketers, www.marketingprofs.com
- 60 quick social media tips for beginners, econsultancy.com
- Facebook’s Oculus to Pay About $60 Million for Gesture-Control Firm Pebbles, blogs.wsj.com
- Facebook, Google+, Twitter, LinkedIn Hidden Features, www.adweek.com
- Lesson from Reddit Fiasco: Keep Community Under Control, smallbiztrends.com
- Facebook’s off to a great start in video, but still has weaknesses, digiday.com
- How Brands Can Create Awareness in Streaming Video, adage.com
- Leveraging YouTube’s Top Three Priorities: Mobile, Mobile and Mobile, www.reelseo.com
- More Facebook Spending Goes Toward Video Ads in 2Q, www.adweek.com
- To Boost Video Views, Facebook Tests A New “Watch Later” Button, techcrunch.com
- Top Online Video Creators & Channels, www.reelseo.com
- Video Quality Problems? Say Bye-Bye to Millennial Binge-Viewers, www.emarketer.com
- What Should WordPress.tv Do with Old Videos?, wptavern.com