Marketing Day: Display ad spend, Amazon sellers report & Google Home
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Nearly 80 percent of US display ad spend will be programmatic in 2017 [eMarketer]
Apr 21, 2017 by Ginny Marvin
Private marketplaces continue to gain share of programmatic transactions.
- Preparing for local reach in a ‘post-rank’ world, Part 2: Create content for local research
Apr 21, 2017 by Megan Hannay
Columnist Megan Hannay takes a look at why big brands need to create in-depth local content to boost local reach, even in a world of “instant answers.”
- Survey: Almost one-third of Amazon sellers plan to expand to Walmart.com this year
Apr 21, 2017 by Amy Gesenhues
According to Feedvisor’s “State of the Amazon Marketplace 2017” report, nearly half of Amazon sellers sell almost exclusively on Amazon.
- SEO & intelligent content: Discovery, connection and improved performance
Apr 21, 2017 by Jim Yu
Jim Yu explains how search data can be used to better understand your customers, allowing you to create targeted, “intelligent” content that will really move the needle.
- 2017 SEM growth hacks: Monster growth from brand protection
Apr 21, 2017 by Lori Weiman
Are your competitors bidding on your branded terms and driving up your CPCs? If so, what can you do? In part 1 of her multi-part series on brand protection, columnist Lori Weiman provides some advice on how to make your brand terms work for you, even when the competition is fierce.
- Using a social management platform: What you need to know
Apr 21, 2017 by Justin Freid
Is a social management tool right for your business? Columnist Justin Freid outlines the benefits and drawbacks of these tools so that you can make an informed decision.
- One Google Home device can now support up to six separate users
Apr 21, 2017 by Greg Sterling
The new feature, which rolls out today, enables multiple users to access personalized content.
- Facebook’s F8: Everything you need to know [Podcast]
Apr 21, 2017 by Matt McGee
Our crew is back from F8, and we talk about the biggest news, the most under-the-radar news and more from Facebook’s annual developer event.
- People: The Achilles’ heel of online marketers
Apr 21, 2017 by Aden Andrus
A lot of marketers are good at numbers, but their Achilles’ heel is getting to know their audience. Contributor Aden Andrus shares some tactics to help you gain insight into your customers’ motivations.
- Digital advertising’s perverse incentives
Apr 21, 2017 by Peter Minnium
Contributor Peter Minnium explains how selecting the wrong metrics in digital advertising can lead to “perverse incentives.” To succeed, marketers need to know the metrics that matter.
- Bizible launches ‘first B2B revenue planning tool based on attribution’
Apr 21, 2017 by Barry Levine
The Revenue Planner is the firm’s first product beyond attribution tools.
- Marketo acquires sales engagement tool ToutApp
Apr 21, 2017 by Barry Levine
The acquisition overlaps with some of Marketo’s capabilities but signals a greater effort to bring sales and marketing departments together.
- Hands on with Facebook’s AR Studio to create Snapchat-like camera effects
Apr 21, 2017 by Tim Peterson
Facebook has made a Mac app to let developers create Snapchat-style camera effects. Here’s how it works.
- Google Analytics 360 & the Move to Enterprise Analytics
Apr 20, 2017 by Digital Marketing Depot
As a digital marketer, odds are that you rely on digital analytics as a major part of your toolkit. With its massive adoption in the market, odds are also good that the tool you’re using is Google Analytics. But are you really getting the most out of your analytics platform?
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
Blogs & Blogging
- 20 Types of Conference Blog Post Content You Can Use, Heidi Cohen
- Jessica Northey Joins #Blogchat on Sunday to Discuss Creating a Blog or Site For Your Passion!, Mack Collier
- Pinterest to Start Its First U.S. Advertising Campaign, Bloomberg
- Snap acquires the crucial geofilter patent from Mobli for a record $7.7M, TechCrunch
- Presenting the State of Native Advertising 2017, According to Publishers, AdsNative News
- 5 Modern Content Marketing Best Practices for Getting Found, Content Marketing Institute
- 7 Simple But Powerful Customer Testimonial Examples You Can Steal, Sleeknote
- How Finance Brands Like Goldman Sachs Use Content to Build Trust and Win Customers, Contently
- Practical Strategies for Smart Content Creators, Copyblogger
- The Content Marketing Journey, in 3 Stages, Contently
- 22 Conversion Killing Mistakes on Your WordPress Website, WPExplorer
- So You Wanna Do CRO? It’s a Great Business to Be In, ConversionXL
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- A Primer on Multichannel Marketing, Practical Ecommerce
- How In-Home Package Delivery Could Save E-Commerce, Fast Company
- The Next Shoe to Drop at Amazon, Bloomberg
- Tips for Rapidly Processing Ecommerce Orders, Practical Ecommerce
- Email Marketing Q&A: Top 4 Questions, Practical Ecommerce
- Emma Expands Product Offering with Launch of Landing Pages at Sold-Out Marketing United Conference, Business Wire
- Planting the Seeds for Sustainability and Email Marketing Success, MarTech Advisor
General Internet Marketing
- Publishers fear fallout of Google-backed ad blocker, Digiday
- 6 Sites for Promoting Your Business, CopyPressed
- How to Create a Winning Digital Campaign this Earth Day, MarTech Advisor
- What Is Integrated Marketing?, Small Biz Trends
Internet Marketing Industry
- IAB to Make TAG Registration Mandatory for Members to Fight Fraud and Improve Brand Safety, Business Wire
- 10 Platforms to Build a Chatbot for Your Business, Practical Ecommerce
- Affordable Tools to Help Maximize Your Social Media Presence, Duct Tape Marketing
- B2B Marketing Technology Adoption and Use, MarketingProfs
- Everything You Need to Know About AdTech & MarTech in 4 Sessions, Marketo
- Marketing technology may never consolidate (but that’s a good thing), Chief Marketing Technologist
- The Ad Tech Rumor Mill Churns News Of A Chrome Ad-Block Addition, AdExchanger
- What’s new in AMP by Example, Accelerated Mobile Pages Project
- 10 Facebook Advertising Statistics Marketers Must Know, MediaKix
- 3 Targeting Ideas To Scale Your Facebook Advertising, Search Engine People
- 3 ways Facebook is missing the boat on chatbots, VentureBeat
- Brands Taking Pinterest’s Advice Can Have a Happy Father’s Day, Adweek
- Creative for Instagram – 3 Tips for Startups and SMBs, 3Q Digital
- F8 Media Roundup, Facebook Media
- Facebook for Local Business: Creative Ways to Grow, Social Media Examiner
- Goodbye, Like button, Pinterest Blog
- How Much Time Do People Spend on Social Media?, Constant Contact
- How to Acquire Valuable Customers With Pinterest Advanced Targeting, Adweek
- New Instagram Stories Geostickers? Blame It on Rio, Adweek
- Social Media Advertising Spend Was Up 60% Year-Over-Year in Q1, Adweek
- Twitter’s testing a new way to show you news articles, VentureBeat
- What Facebook Could Learn From Other Platforms About Content Moderation, Fast Company
- ‘It’s Still Loading?!’ Long Load Time Just One Reason People Quit Watching Video, eMarketer
- An update on Restricted Mode, YouTube Creator Blog
- Twitch opens up its money-making tools to tens of thousands of non-Partnered channels, TechCrunch
- Why Interactive Ads Are Becoming the Norm for Streaming Platforms, Adweek
- YouTube to school U.K. kids on how to combat fake news, echo chambers, and hate speech, VentureBeat