Marketing Day: Echos, Google store visits & Facebook censorship
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Amazon has sold more than 5 million Echo devices, with a big holiday to come
Nov 23, 2016 by Greg Sterling
While Google Home is $50 cheaper, Echo will likely dramatically out-sell the newer device.
- US Presidential election data: searcher intent vs. demographic polling
Nov 23, 2016 by Brian Ussery
Politics aside, data from the 2016 US Presidential election illustrates that intent-driven search data “trumps” demographics-based polling data.
- Link building is (specialized) marketing
Nov 23, 2016 by Andrew Dennis
Columnist Andrew Dennis explains how link building is built on the same fundamental principles as effective marketing: thorough research, strategic promotion, carefully crafted messaging and sustained effort.
- Putting programmatic video back on the radar
Nov 23, 2016 by Alex Bornyakov
Columnist Alex Bornyakov believes that to receive maximum benefit from programmatic video and monetize every single ad call with the most effective ad opportunity, publishers need to find an intelligent solution to automating the waterfall.
- The future of paid search buying
Nov 23, 2016 by Andrew Ruegger
Columnist Andrew Ruegger believes that programmatic could be key to the future of paid search.
- Google beefs up Store Visits reporting in AdWords in time for Black Friday
Nov 23, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
The company also shared insights on mobile’s role in driving store visits on Black Friday last year.
- As ‘Campaigns of One’ get more personal, are we nearing the point of over-personalization?
Nov 23, 2016 by Barry Levine
Given the flood of new data — about your movement in the real world or your psychology — some marketers are suggesting personalization should become more of a two-way street.
- Simple steps to addressing your one-time buyer problem
Nov 23, 2016 by Jordan Elkind
While you’re focused on bringing in new customers this holiday shopping season, be sure you lay the foundation for a long-term relationship. Contributor Jordan Elkind shares tips for retaining those shoppers over the coming year.
- Report: Facebook develops content suppression tool for China reentry
Nov 23, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Facebook’s investors are asking the company to find “the next billion users.” China offers an answer.
- How to market to developers without causing dis-content
Nov 23, 2016 by Josh Aberant
Contributor Josh Aberant explains the right way to apply the principles of content marketing to meet the needs of developers.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- 5 Reasons You Can‘t Put Off Hiring a Web Analyst Any Longer, semrush.com
- Google rolls out two new omnichannel metrics, internetretailer.com
- How to Get Actionable Insights From Google Analytics, MarketingProfs
- Why – and How – to Map Out Your Customers’ Journeys [Template], contentmarketinginstitute.com
Blogs & Blogging
- A first few tweaks toward a better Blogger, Official Blogger Blog
- Google’s redesigned Google Sites goes live, TechCrunch
- How to Grow Fans and Save Your Sanity by Changing the Season, ProBlogger
- Digg CEO Gary Liu is leaving to head up Alibaba-owned newspaper SCMP, TechCrunch
- Facebook Said to Create Censorship Tool to Get Back Into China, New York Times
- Microsoft offers EU an Outlook deal to secure LinkedIn acquisition, The Verge
- 5 Content Marketing Mistakes You Need to Avoid, Search Engine People
- 6 Neuromarketing Hacks for Maximum Content Impact, quicksprout.com
- Four key content marketing principles, Econsultancy
- How to Create Content that Gets Seen, Online Marketing Blog
- How to Show Your Thanks With Content Marketing, Heidi Cohen
- How Much Copy Should You Use On Your Home Page? – Infographic, blog.crazyegg.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- Does Conversation Hurt Or Help The Chatbot UX?, Smashing Magazine
- The Wireframe Perfectionist’s Guide, Smashing Magazine
Display & Contextual Advertising
- New Firefox Focus Browser for iOS Erases Your Tracks Online, smallbiztrends.com
- A look at the top Blog related sales of all time, thedomains.com
- Another major registrar is sending expired domains to GoDaddy, Domain Name Wire
- Over 19,000 .blog domain names registered in first 24 hours, Domain Name Wire
- Urgent: update your Whois records before December 1, Domain Name Wire
- 5 Tweaks to Key Products before Cyber Monday, Practical Ecommerce
- Amazon Prime memberships continue to climb, internetretailer.com
- My E-Commerce Selling Tip: Be Human, cmswire.com
- The five-day holiday e-commerce outlook: Online sales will grow, but experts are split on how much, internetretailer.com
- How Do Your Email Engagement Rates Stack Up Against Your Competitors?, contently.com
- SaleCycle Introduces New Email Solutions for Helping Clients Target Their Visitors, MarTech Advisor
General Internet Marketing
- AMP Roadmap Update for Mid-Q4 2016, Accelerated Mobile Pages Project
- Mobile Phone, Smartphone Usage Varies Globally, eMarketer
- 5 Split Tests for Better LinkedIn Ads, Social Media Examiner
- 7 Free Social Media Tools to Make You More Efficient, Social Media Explorer
- Here Are Some Last Minute Facebook Advertising Tips for the Holidays, smallbiztrends.com
- New Report Discovers Disconnect Between Retailers And Social Media, The Blog Herald
- Retailers need to be ready for a social media message surge, internetretailer.com
- Twitter accidentally suspends its own CEO’s account, CNN Money
- What are dark Facebook posts?, Econsultancy
- What Gets CIO Influencers Talking on Twitter, cmswire.com
- Periscope Adds Themed Hearts for Thanksgiving | SocialTimes, AdWeek
- Two Former Cablevision Execs Hope To Take Local TV Targeting Tactics National, AdExchanger
- UK digital audio landscape: ‘Audio is the new video’, Digiday