Get the most important digital marketing news each day.
Marketing Day: Facebook ad group tests, micro-moments & YouTube’s top 10 ads
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Using Google to drive offline sales
Oct 11, 2016 by Digital Marketing Depot
Google shows special results for an open-ended search for goods or services when it knows your location. Or when you add a phrase like “near me” or “Tribeca.” Does all this mobile, location-centric search translate into real-world business outcomes?
- Facebook tests ads in Groups, potentially easing ad load issue
Oct 11, 2016 by Tim Peterson
If Facebook decides to officially slot ads in Group feeds, the new inventory could offset its news feed ad load dilemma.
- Expedia now lets you pick Hawaii travel packages with your smile
Oct 11, 2016 by Barry Levine
Its new ‘Discover Your Aloha’ campaign is one of the first where facial recognition helps a consumer make a choice.
- Forget about unique content. Try actually BEING local!
Oct 11, 2016 by Greg Gifford
Columnist Greg Gifford notes that when all your competitors have unique content, then that alone won’t be enough to help you stand out from the crowd.
- Does finding that micro-moment feel like chasing fireflies? Here are 9 data points that will help you catch them.
Oct 11, 2016 by Wesley Young
Consumers are searching, doing and buying on their mobile devices, yet the challenge to reach them seems greater than ever. Columnist Wesley Young of the Local Search Association takes a look at 9 stats that suggest ways to improve your capture rate.
- Twitter’s debate live stream viewership exceeds NFL audience — again
Oct 11, 2016 by Tim Peterson
3.2 million people saw Sunday night’s president debate broadcast on Twitter, compared to 3.1 million who streamed last week’s Thursday Night Football game.
- Your most effective marketing assets may be hiding in your fans’ social activity
Oct 11, 2016 by Jordan Kasteler
Columnist Jordan Kasteler discusses the value of visuals in marketing and why the images generated by your customers are your most powerful marketing tools.
- Top 10 YouTube ads in September: Apple ranks No. 1, Clash Royale wins 3 spots
Oct 11, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
With two ads in the top 5, Apple earns 20.6M views. Clash Royale generates more than 16M views.
- Marketing automation made easy
Oct 11, 2016 by Mary Wallace
Marketing automation doesn’t have to be intimidating. Columnist Mary Wallace explains how to select the right tool and offers tips for launching a marketing automation project.
- Will the end of Samsung’s Galaxy Note boost sales of Google’s Pixel?
Oct 11, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Samsung is facing billions in lost sales, as well as damage to its brand and reputation.
- See the complete agenda for MarTech Europe
Oct 11, 2016 by Scott Brinker
Technology-powered marketing, or “modern” marketing, is reshaping organizations’ processes, operations and managerial hierarchies and enabling us to reinvent the customer journey. Large enterprise websites typically have 75 technologies in their martech stacks, according to a recent study.
- The mobile wallet could grow up to become a real marketing channel
Oct 10, 2016 by Barry Levine
Here are some of the hidden strengths of this keeper of coupons, credit cards and boarding passes.
- Workplace by Facebook opens to organizations across the globe
Oct 10, 2016 by Greg Finn
Facebook aims to take on Yammer and Chatter head-on with the official global launch of Workplace.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Why Google’s quality updates should be on your algorithmic radar [Part 2]: The connection to low-quality user experience
- I’ll stop the world and link with you
- Google looking at how to measure brand awareness for search
- See the complete agenda for MarTech Europe
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Affiliates Sued By Merchants for False Advertising, thepma.org
- Taking Your Affiliate Program Global, thepma.org
- Are Small Businesses Too Quick To Outsource Data Analytics?, smallbiztrends.com
- Digital analytics demystified, Part One: Puzzle vs. Mystery, econsultancy.com
- How Social Analytics Can Launch Your Global Newsrooms, www.newswhip.com
Blogs & Blogging
- Facebook paid £4.2 million in tax in the UK last year, nearly 1,000 times more than the year before, qz.com
- Internal Memo from Jack Dorsey Seeks to Calm the Waters at Twitter, www.adweek.com
- 5 Content Marketing Ideas for November 2016, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Why Create Whitepapers?, www.copypress.com
- 8 keys to driving cross-border conversion, www.internetretailer.com
- CRO: Four key factors for increasing conversion rates, www.econsultancy.com
- Use Micro-Moments To Drive Conversions, www.ppchero.com
- User Flow Optimization: The CRO Strategy No One Talks About, blog.crazyegg.com
- Your Organization Really Doesn’t Want Optimization To Succeed, conversionxl.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- Designing Card-Based User Interfaces, www.smashingmagazine.com
- Getting Started With Data Driven Design & Why Your Website Needs It, www.socialmediaexplorer.com
- Hyperlink Usability: Guidelines For Usable Links, usabilitygeek.com
- The .Com Cliff is .Coming, domainnamewire.com
- Consumers Just Aren’t into Buying Packaged Goods Online, www.emarketer.com
- E-commerce marketing tips for the holiday season, www.internetretailer.com
- Report: Holiday shopping to take off early November, www.retaildive.com
- Why an online retailer hosts a fashion week in Silicon Valley, www.internetretailer.com
General Internet Marketing
- 9 Ways to Measure and Receive ROI From Influencer Marketing, www.adweek.com
- An 8-Step Process to Use Influencers to Elevate Your Brand, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Don’t Be a Slave to Your B2B Marketing Process, www.convinceandconvert.com
- What Is The “Holy Grail” Of Marketing?, adexchanger.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Introducing a New Way To Build a Website You’ll Be Proud Of, www.vistaprint.com
- join.me Integrates with Slack, HipChat, Trello and Others to Accelerate Productivity, www.globenewswire.com
- Lotame Chief Data Scientist Omar Abdala Receives American Marketing Association 4 Under 40 Award for Data Analytics Innovation, www.marketwired.com
- Webscale Closes $12 Million Funding Round to Accelerate Adoption of Integrated Cloud Application Delivery for the Mid-Market, www.marketwired.com
- 11 commandments for chatbot developers, venturebeat.com
- Keeping Up with MarTech is Hard, But You Don’t Have to Do It Alone, www.cmswire.com
- Six Adtech and Martech Startups We’re Watching – And How They Can Boost Your Business, thedma.org
- 3 Reasons “Device Ranking” is a Patently Bad Idea, Especially on Privacy-Aware iOS10, www.martechadvisor.com
- AMP Reaches Major Milestones Since Launching One Year Ago, www.searchenginejournal.com
- How Frequently Are SMS, Messaging App Users Spammed?, www.emarketer.com
- How messaging apps cure brand app fatigue, venturebeat.com
- How mobile is transforming product search – and why voice may be next, www.retaildive.com
- Multi-device holiday merchandising: Creating personalized product discovery journeys, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Pressing buy: The state of mobile commerce in 5 charts, digiday.com
- Will messaging apps be the next walled gardens?, econsultancy.com
- Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter Provided Data Access for a Surveillance Product Marketed to Target Activists of Colora, www.aclunc.org
- 10 Types of Visual Content On Instagram That Get Shared Like Crazy, www.jeffbullas.com
- 5 charts and 2 tales: The divergent states of Snapchat and Twitter, digiday.com
- 5 Steps to Generate More LinkedIn Sales Leads, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- 5 Tips to Build More Loyalty With Your Twitter Fans, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- 7 Ways B2B Brands Can Use Pinterest for Social Media Marketing, www.toprankblog.com
- As Facebook turns fickle, publishers focus again on search, digiday.com
- How I Grew My Traffic by Almost 50% in One Month Using Twitter, www.searchenginejournal.com
- How to Take Advantage of New Facebook Campaign Planner, blog.adstage.io
- Is It Time to Invest in Snap Ads?, blog.adstage.io
- Paid Social: Cliff Notes to 3 Social Media Studies, www.swordandthescript.com
- Snapchat courts Hollywood producers for new programming, digiday.com
- The Ultimate Guide to Tracking, Targeting, and Driving Conversions on Facebook, www.wordstream.com
- Twitter Fabric Beta Builds on Beta by Crashlytics Move Into the Fastlane, www.adweek.com
- Here are the top 25 most-popular games on YouTube by country, venturebeat.com
- Multiplatform Video Ad Buying Is Emerging as the New Normal, www.emarketer.com
- Orlando Magic to broadcast Wednesday’s game on Facebook Live, orlandomagicdaily.com
- Second presidential debate-related videos rack up 40 percent more views than the first, youtube.googleblog.com