Marketing Day: Facebook Tweaks News Feed, Nielsen App Report & Email Tips
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Cute Kids Tell Bad Dad Jokes In Social Campaign For Appliance & Electronics Brand
The regional retailer employs corny humor and adorable children to connect with Father’s Day gift givers.
- Facebook Tweaks News Feed To Account For Time Spent On Stories
Company says new ranking factor won’t cause significant change in distribution for Pages.
- How The Myth Of Google Censorship Was Busted By The EU & Canada
For years, Google successfully imposed censorship demands on “country-specific” versions of Google. Those days may now be over. Censorship demands of one country might cause a global change for all.
- FTC Puts Social Media Marketers On Notice With Updated Disclosure Guidelines
The U.S. agency updates its FAQ page for endorsement requirements for the first time since 2010. The new guidance could precede a crackdown.
- Report: Time With Apps Growing But Number Of Apps Used Is Not
While time spent with apps has grown dramatically, the number of apps used by people on a monthly basis has not. That’s according to new data released by Nielsen.
- Borderless E-Commerce: Enter New Markets With Ease
Are looming costs and lack of local knowledge stopping you from international e-commerce expansion? Columnist Adam Weiss explains why affiliate marketing may be your answer.
- 3 Simple Methods For Obtaining Email Address Leads, Guaranteed To Work In Any Industry
Being a successful online marketer is all about growing your email list. Columnist Neil Patel shares these techniques for getting more email leads.
- Cards Are Fueling In-Stream Ad Growth & Transforming Digital Advertising
Cards are making ads more interactive and engaging, and now they’re moving beyond the big social networks.
- Spotted: Twitter Tests A Richer Location Specific Search Page
Spotted in the wild is a new “place” page that ties in hyperlocal Tweets, accounts and more for a given location.
- Bloggers Need To Learn To Love Email: Top Tactics And Ideas
If you want to drive more users to your site, email marketing is key. Columnist Andrew King offers up several email marketing tips and ideas for your blog.
- “We’re Looking For Someone Who Really Uses And Loves The Product” & More About Twitter CEO Search
Twitter answers questions about CEO Dick Costolo stepping down; Jack Dorsey taking over as interim CEO & the search for a permanent replacement.
- Twitter Will Increase DM Character Limit From 140 To 10,000
Brands that use Twitter for customer service should benefit from the extra room for private messages, which is coming in July.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Canadian Appeals Court Orders Google To Censor Globally
- VIDEO: WebCertain TV Gets The Scoop On The Search Engine Land Awards
- France Gives Google 15 Days To Apply Right-To-Be-Forgotten To Global Results
- Gauging The Impact Of The AdWords Countdown Customizer
- Local SEO Landing Pages 2.0
- Search In Pics: Google Search At Xiaomi, Twitter CEO Standing O & Google Paris Fridge
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- How to Pitch Marketing Analytics Software to Your Company, blog.kissmetrics.com
- Marketing analytics: what your web traffic says about your business, econsultancy.com
- More Analytics Require More Purpose, adexchanger.com
Blogs & Blogging
- Scripted Launches Topic Marketplace for Marketers to Buy Blog Posts, www.martechadvisor.com
- Three Things a Blogger Can Learn From Christopher Lee, www.blogherald.com
- Travel Blogging Trends, Insights, and Pet Peeves, www.marketingprofs.com
- Debra Berman Joins Yahoo as SVP of Consumer Marketing, yahoo.tumblr.com
- Detroit is Trying to Become the Next Major Tech Hub, smallbiztrends.com
- 6 Ideas for Creating Content that Your Customers Want to See, blogs.constantcontact.com
- Choosing the Right Content Marketing Agency: 7 Critical Questions to Ask, www.thesaleslion.com
- Why a Content Engineer is Vital to Your Content’s Health, www.cmswire.com
- How SMBs Can Capitalize on”Micro-moments” in the New Path to Purchase, streetfightmag.com
- How to Use the Psychology of Persuasion, blog.crazyegg.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 10 User Experience Testing Tools Marketers Need to Know About, www.marketingprofs.com
- 5 Articles on User Experience for Your Campaigns, unbounce.com
- 5 UX Tips to Capture the Audience You’re Probably Ignoring, www.usertesting.com
- Effective Logo Design, Part 2: Using Nature’s Patterns, www.smashingmagazine.com
- Popularity of shared-economy apps belies mixed UX reviews: report, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- The Traffic Light Revision Technique for Meticulously Editing Your Own Writing, www.copyblogger.com
Display & Contextual Advertising
- The Evolution of Display Advertising: Adapt or Die, www.adweek.com
- Why make it personal? Personalisation vs contextualisation, econsultancy.com
- US Congresspeople tell ICANN to ignore GAC “interference”, domainincite.com
- 3 Unstoppable Forces Transforming Shopping Right Now, www.getelastic.com
- Amazon Expands Prime With Goods Shipped Directly From Merchants, blogs.wsj.com
- Avon Ladies learn to tweet, embrace e-commerce, digiday.com
- How to Track Ecommerce Shoppers Across Devices, www.practicalecommerce.com
- J.C. Penney moves to more closely align stores and the web, www.internetretailer.com
- PayPal Changing Paypal Purchase Protection, www.domaininvesting.com
- Email like a rock star, myemma.com
General Internet Marketing
- Go Beyond Infographics: Here’s How to Make a Bigger Impact With ‘Gifographics’, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Marketing still needs the human touch, www.thehubcomms.com
- What Jurassic World Teaches About Marketing, www.verticalresponse.com
- Ad Tech Firms Find Venture Capital Funding Is Running Dry, blogs.wsj.com
- Carat’s Anthony Rhind On His Jump From The Agency World To Ad Tech, adexchanger.com
- Beset With Failures, Google Tries to Breathe New Life Into Android One, recode.net
- Citi exec: Wearables’ success depends on simpler, faster experiences, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Mobile bookers more valuable than those on desktop, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Mobile Connections on the Upswing Again in Peru, www.emarketer.com
- Report: Push Messages Result in Greater User Retention, www.adweek.com
- Vietnam’s Mobile Revolution Catapults Millions Into the Digital Age, www.wsj.com
- Controlling What You Can’t Control: Your Reputation Online, www.blogherald.com
- 3 Steps to Saving Time by Writing Social Media Updates in Batches, www.problogger.net
- Buffer’s Social Media Report for May: New Stats and Strategies, blog.bufferapp.com
- LinkedIn may be the bane of your inbox, but it could help add $2.7 trillion to global GDP, qz.com
- Read Dick Costolo’s Goodbye to Twitter and Jack Dorsey’s Hello, Wall Street Journal
- Smart Tips For The Pinterest Smart Feed, blog.tailwindapp.com
- Snoop Dogg on Twitter: Nuthin’ But a “CEO” Thang, blogs.wsj.com
- The Most Used Hashtag Emoji on Instagram is…, www.adweek.com
- The Rise and Fall of Twitter’s Ad Revenue Since Going Public, adage.com
- Twitter CEOs Dick Costolo, Jack Dorsey interview, www.businessinsider.com
- Twitter Expands Its “Experiments” Beta Testing Program To iOS, techcrunch.com
- Use Facebook ads to preserve readers from a beloved former blog, 3qdigital.com
- 3 challenges with using video as a marketing tool, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- 6 Killer Reasons Why YouTube Is Still King of Online Video, www.reelseo.com
- A YouTube built for gamers, googleblog.blogspot.com
- How CPG Advertisers Stack Up for Digital Video, www.emarketer.com
- How to Turn Vine Videos into Money, blogs.wsj.com
- Meerkat and Periscope: How Businesses Are Using Live Mobile Broadcasting, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Older UK Consumers Tune In to Subscription Video-on-Demand, www.emarketer.com
- YouTube Takes on Amazon’s Twitch With YouTube Gaming, adage.com