Marketing Day: Facebook’s “Notify” App, RetailMeNot CMO Interview & Mobile Display Ad Report
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Here Are A Dozen Bargain Marketing Platforms for SMBs
Nov 11, 2015 by Barry Levine
For free or less than $100/month, cash- and time-starved small- and medium-sized businesses can amplify their marketing efforts.
- Facebook Invades Lock Screens With New “Notify” App
Nov 11, 2015 by Martin Beck
Standalone iOS app gives people the ability to receive push notifications from 70 news and entertainment publishers.
- Location-Based Targeting and Capturing “Near Me” Moments
Nov 11, 2015 by Digital Marketing Depot
According to ComScore, consumers now spend more than half of their online time on mobile devices, identifying, researching and connecting with businesses when they are on the go and away from home.
- In A Nod To Classic WKRP Scene, White Castle To Drop Turkey Sliders From Drones In Cincinnatti
Nov 11, 2015 by Pamela Parker
Turkey sliders can’t fly any better than live turkeys, but the fast food player hopes its pre-Thanksgiving promotion has much better results than the one held by the fictional radio station.
- Study: Mobile Users Will Go On Roughly 4 Dates With Apps Before Breaking Up
Nov 11, 2015 by Greg Sterling
If a new survey from Localytics is correct, apps will figure more prominently in future user behavior, but their success is contingent on getting the user experience right. The company polled 1,000 smartphone owners and found that 92 percent “expect to use apps more or the same in the future.”
- Online Retail Traffic And Conversions Warmed Up Last Week
Nov 11, 2015 by Pamela Parker
Aggregated statistics from e-commerce sites across verticals reveal the dominance of mobile and the most popular on-site search terms.
- RetailMeNot New CMO Hits The Ground Running, Taking Over As The Holiday Retail Season Begins
Nov 11, 2015 by Amy Gesenhues
Get to Know: Marissa Tarleton, CMO for RetailMeNot, Inc. in North America
- How A Content Marketing Strategy Drives Your Bottom Line
Nov 11, 2015 by Kerry Jones
Can’t get content marketing buy-in? Columnist Kerry Jones gives you a roadmap for explaining the long-term benefits of an on- and off-site content strategy.
- Holiday E-Commerce: Black Friday Now As Important As Cyber Monday, Thanks To Mobile [Study]
Nov 11, 2015 by Ginny Marvin
New data from Criteo shows Cyber Monday is now part of a continuum of online demand rather than the pinnacle of e-commerce holiday sales.
- Appnext Launches Cost Per Install-Based Ad Serving Solution For Mobile Publishers
Nov 11, 2015 by Ginny Marvin
Appnext Manager enables mobile publishers to manage direct CPI inventory sales programmatically.
- 2016 Facebook Advertising Preview: 4 Trends To Act On
Nov 11, 2015 by Andrew Waber
Following Facebook’s impressive Q3 earnings last week, columnist Andrew Waber highlights some key advertising trends on the social network that marketers should take heed of for 2016.
- Mobile Marketer Localytics Adds “True Impact” Analytics
Nov 11, 2015 by Barry Levine
New measurements emphasize customer engagement and retention.
- How A Dip In Overstock’s Organic Rankings Contributed To An 17% Stock Drop
Nov 10, 2015 by Greg Finn
Overstock saw a large drop in their stock price today. A contributor to the decline was an Google algorithm shift.
- Report: Most Calls From Mobile Display Ads Happen Up To Two Weeks Later
Nov 10, 2015 by Greg Sterling
In conjunction with the announcement of a new product called “Marchex Display Analytics,” the company released a report that shows display ads aren’t getting credit for all the calls they’re delivering. The report (reg. req’d) is titled “The Missing 98 Percent: Why Display Advertising Isn’t Getting the Credit It Deserves.”
- Android 6 “Marshmallow” & SEO Series: Google’s Private Index & Screen Crawling
Nov 10, 2015 by Cindy Krum
The first of a three-part series on how Android Marshmallow’s features and capabilities may impact the future of mobile search. Contributor Cindy Krum explores Google’s Private Index and discusses screen crawling.
- 6 Things To Know Before Using Facebook For Local Search, And 6 Reasons FB Search Can Dominate
Nov 10, 2015 by Wesley Young
Now that Facebook’s Universal Search includes public posts, columnist Wesley Young takes a look at the pros and cons of using Facebook for Local Search.
- Search and the Local-Mobile Consumer: What’s A Marketer to Do?
Nov 10, 2015 by Digital Marketing Depot
Search is constantly evolving, as technology improves and consumer behavior shifts. Local consumers now use mobile technology more, which has affected how marketers engage with and convert the local shopper. This means search must be an integral part of a strong media strategy, but it isn’t a one-size-fits-all approach.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Promote Black Friday & Cyber Monday Offers With AdWords Structured Snippet Headers
- JustWatch Claims Google’s Anti-Piracy Efforts Haven’t Hurt Streaming Sites
- Yahoo Updates Search Experience For Firefox Users On Desktop
- Europe Turns Antitrust Attention To Google Maps For Android
- How To Win A US Search Award: The Approach That Helped Us Increase Search Exposure And Win Best In Retail
- Google Sending Messages To Webmasters For SSL/TLS Certificate Not Matching
- Google’s New Stopwatch & Timer Search Feature
- Why Manual Link Building Will Never Be Obsolete
- SEMPO Launches Its 2015 Search Marketer Salary Survey To Assess What The Industry Is Earning
- Veterans Day Google Doodle Honors The Men & Women Serving In Our Nation’s Armed Forces
- Google Is Promoting Holiday Shopping Deals Via Text Alerts
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Are You Keeping Up? Key Benchmarks for Your End-of-Year Campaigns, thedma.org
- Marketers Still Struggle with Cross-Channel Measurement, www.emarketer.com
Blogs & Blogging
- Survival Guide: What to Do When Your Blog Starts to Die, www.blogtyrant.com
- How to Be the Best Answer with An Integrated, Optimized Approach to Content Marketing, www.toprankblog.com
- How to Use Quizzes for Your Marketing Strategy, blog.kissmetrics.com
- Quality User Generated Content: How To Fill Your Calendar, heidicohen.com
- Rules for Great Storytelling With Margot Leitman, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Slogans vs. Taglines: What Is Your Brand’s Battlecry?, adage.com
- Start Small, Think Big with Content Marketing Departments, www.cmswire.com
- 53 Top Conversion Optimization Tools Reviewed by Experts, conversionxl.com
- What is the state of conversion rate optimization in 2015?, econsultancy.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 4 Surprising Benefits of UX Benchmarking, www.usertesting.com
- 7 Keys to Creating a Brand Logo That Absolutely Works Everywhere, www.adweek.com
- How Apple Is Giving Design A Bad Name, www.fastcodesign.com
- How To Spot, Fix and Eliminate Passive Voice In Everything You Write, menwithpens.ca
- How will privacy by design principles impact web development & UX?, econsultancy.com
- Is Design Mostly Dead?, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Who Controls The User Experience On Your Website – You Or Your Advertisers?, adexchanger.com
- Appellita: a new tool for finding domain names, domainnamewire.com
- Alibaba vs. Amazon: How the world’s two online shopping giants stack up, qz.com
- Five Lessons From Alibaba’s $14.3 Billion E-Commerce Sale, adage.com
- How Amazon does the holidays: No Santa, but plenty of deals, www.retaildive.com
- Multiple checkpoints help e-retailers spot fraud while quickly filling orders, www.internetretailer.com
- Records Tumble As China’s Top Online Shopping Day Sucks In Billions Of Dollars, techcrunch.com
- Stores Closing on Black Friday; Online is Always Open, blog.movableink.com
- Successful Ecommerce Entrepreneurs Love the Process as Much as Profits, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Five external factors that can impact your email campaigns, econsultancy.com
- The recipe for Mario Batali’s amazing email click rate, myemma.com
- Why Brands Should Focus On The Millennials’ Love For Email, www.martechadvisor.com
General Internet Marketing
Internet Marketing Industry
- Adcade Integrates With Sizmek, www.marketwatch.com
- DDB Names Wendy Clark President And CEO Of North America, www.prnewswire.com
- Episerver Announces Product Convergence with Milestone Digital Experience Cloud Release, www.episerver.com
- Innovative Tech From GoDaddy Makes SEO Available To All, aboutus.godaddy.net
- Verve and Moat Partner to Ensure In-App Viewability for Mobile Display, www.prnewswire.com
- VideoAmp Raises $15M Series A Funding Led By RTL Group, www.prnewswire.com
- Ad-Tech Companies Are Partly to Blame for Bad Advertising, adage.com
- How to Choose the Right Content Marketing Software, www.convinceandconvert.com
- You asked for it. Here it comes. Messaging., staff.tumblr.com
- Google reportedly considering building a smartphone, Business Insider
- In Local Marketing, “Obsolete” Is All Relative, streetfightmag.com
- Maximizing mobile behind-the-scenes in time for the holidays, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Mobile Messaging to Reach 1.4 Billion Worldwide in 2015, www.emarketer.com
- 5 Holiday Shopping Season Goals for Brands on Facebook, www.adweek.com
- 5 Reasons Your Business Needs a Twitter Account, www.jeffbullas.com
- 7 Ways to Convert Holiday Shoppers With the Twitter Buy Button, company-enterprise.myshopify.com
- Christmas Comes Early For Social Media Advertisers, www.webpresence.tv
- Facebook Retargeting Spend Increases: New Research, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- New! Easily find Pins you saved for later, blog.pinterest.com
- The Complete Checklist for Brands on Social Media, raventools.com
- What Would You Do if Your Facebook Page Disappeared?, blogs.constantcontact.com
- Who Tweets with Their Location?, journals.plos.org
- Why Running Ads on Both Facebook and Instagram Is Likely the New Normal, www.adweek.com
- How to Boost Your Brand on Vine, www.adweek.com
- Periscope Gets Better Maps, Skip Ahead And 3D Touch Shortcuts Including “Teleport”, techcrunch.com