Marketing Day: Flurry Report, Twitter Ads, Pinterest Promote & More
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Online Browsing Remains Strong During Christmas Week, But Conversions Slow
Find out what consumers were up to this week via the latest Marketing Land Online Retail Sales Report.
- The Most Popular Social Media Marketing Columns Of The Year
Neither Facebook nor Twitter appeared in the headlines of our top 10 columns in 2014. Check them out for tips that go beyond the top two networks!
- Report: Email Beats Internet & Social Media As The Most Important Tool For Workers
While new technologies have emerged in the workplace, none have figured out how to top good ol’ email in the ‘importance’ department.
- 2014′s Top 10 Analytics & Marketing Columns On Marketing Land
An essential aspect of digital marketing is the ability to measure and analyze what’s going on. Don’t miss these top tips to set your programs up for success.
- Report: 2.5X More App Installs On Christmas With Apple Device Activations Accounting For 51%
For every Samsung device activated on Christmas, Apple activated 2.9 devices. App installs were 150% higher on Christmas as well, according to Flurry.
- Twitter Ads Make It Seem Like People Follow Brands, Even If They Don’t
Visa follows MasterCard? So it seemed. Twitter’s expansion of ads into “Following” lists can make people seem to follow accounts, even if they don’t.
- Best Practice Pros: How The NFL Scores Big In Email
In our earlier profiles of email marketers that can serve as solid prototypes for other businesses, we dissected LinkedIn and Groupon: one a social media community, the other a massive e-commerce hub. Each found its own specific ways to use email as a primary pillar in acquisition and CRM. This time around, we’ll leaf through the email […]
- Mobile Apps, Beacons, SEO & More: Marketing Land’s Top 10 Mobile Marketing Columns Of The Year
There’s no question that 2014 was — finally — the year of mobile, as once-just-talked-about technologies and consumer behaviors arrived in the mainstream.
- Top 10 Display Advertising Columns Of 2014
There’s a lot more to display than banner ads and insertion orders, especially in a world where both programmatic and mobile are on the rise.
- General Motors Harnesses Facebook To Fuel Impressive Vehicle Recall Rate
A strong national campaign that featured custom Facebook Ads to unengaged drivers helped GM create one of the most successful recall rates of all-time.
- Promoted Pins Set To Make Debut To All Partners, Early Data Shows Suprisingly Effective Results
As the ball drops this New Years Eve, Pinterest will be dispatching the ability for all partners to partake in the Promoted Pin program.
- The Year’s 10 Most Popular Content Marketing Columns
From SEO to technology to distribution strategies, our contributors covered lots of territory in 2014. Don’t miss these outstanding columns!
- 2014 In Email Marketing Columns: Marketing Land’s Top 10
Email may be established but it’s anything but stagnant. Check out what caught our readers’ attention this year!
- Arcade Claw Machine Calls Attention To Plight Of Homeless
If you walk through any arcade, movie theater lobby or seedy carnival, you’ve most certainly seen a claw machine – that special vending machine device which dispenses toys if only you can manage to grab and hang on to a particular object. Fundación Gente de la Calle, a Chilean charitable organization which aids the homeless, has partnered with […]
- Planning For Success: 5 Affiliate Marketing Resolutions For 2015
The affiliate marketing industry marked its milestone 20th year in 2014, and it’s clear to see that it has traveled a long path since the launch of the first affiliate marketing campaign in 1994. Most notably this year, affiliate marketing saw several acquisitions and higher than expected growth rates. Looking Back At 2014 Predictions Around this […]
- Top 10 Most Tweeted Live TV Events In 2014: Ellen’s Selfie Pushes Oscars To The Top Of The List
President Obama’s State of the Union address was the only non-awards program to rank in the top ten most tweeted live TV specials of 2014.
- 7 Resolutions For Higher Website Conversions In 2015
Each year, digital marketers find themselves trying to do more with less. With mobile technologies maturing, analytics entering a decade of being democratized, and personalization technologies enjoying increasing adoption, online marketers have never needed to learn more and do more just to keep up. While new advancements and opportunities arise constantly, the beginning of a […]
- Tracking Santa Through Social Media: Updates Via Twitter, Facebook & Google+
If you need an update on Santa’s progress, your favorite social media site might have them.
- The 12 Days Of Procurement
It’s that time of year again – yes, the time we all reflect on years past and look forward to the New Year with a youthful exuberance and hopeful optimism that can only come with the holiday season. While everyone else is busy with hopeful optimism, my grand tradition is to take the “healthy skeptic” approach and try […]
- Mazda Teams With Mogees To Turn Vehicle Into Musical Instrument
Earlier this month, Mazda worked with Mindshare UK to turn the Mazda3 into a musical instrument using a product called Mogees, which turns everyday objects into music-producing objects by converting vibrations into unique musical sounds. The brand covered the Mazda3 with Mogees, and then the car was “played” by a group of percussionists. As part of the brand’s […]
- Facebook To Launch YouTube-Like Playlists
Facebook goes deeper into the video space with YouTube-like playlists and channels on Pages.
- A CMO’s View: Porch’s CMO Says Analytics & Data Are At The Core Of Everything For The Home Improvement Network
Asha Sharma shares how “democratizing” Porch’s data enables all team members to make better and faster data-driven decisions.
- The Best Of Marketing Land’s Search Marketing Columns For 2014
Search marketing is a critical component of any digital strategy, so don’t miss our highest-trafficked columns published this year.
- 10 Most Popular Marketing Strategies Columns For 2014
What marketing strategies piqued our readers’ interests this year? Read on for the highest-trafficked columns.
- Infographic: Brands That Have Been Naughty & Nice On Social Media
Among the brands getting positive mentions on social media are Apple and Amazon. Those getting negative mentions include Twitter and Facebook.
- Italian Authorities Fine TripAdvisor $610,000 For Not Preventing Invalid Negative Reviews
One of the first times a major reviews site has been fined by the European Union or United States for not preventing false reviews on their site.
- An Inside Look At The Top Users On Pinterest & The Confusing World Of Paid Pinning
Many of the top users on Pinterest lead a private, nonpublic life and the muddy monetization rules from both Pinterest and the FTC may keep them that way.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Yes, Steve Scalise, There Was A Google In 2002
- Securing Investment In Content And SEO In 2015: 3 Keys To Unlocking Success
- Doubling Down On Audience-Centric Marketing
- AdWords Scripts For Every Level: Part 2, Intermediate Tips For Editing & Troubleshooting
- Quality (Score) PPC Content: Our Top 10 Paid Search Columns For 2014
- 5 Incredibly Practical Reasons To Do PPC In 2015
- 10 Things I Learned About Local SEO In 2014
- AdWords Scripts For Every Level: Part 1, Learning How To Read Scripts
- Yahoo Directory Closes, Five Days Early
- Why You Need To Make Dynamic Copy An Integral Part Of Your 2015 PPC Strategy
- Mapping It Out: Our Top 10 Local Search Columns For 2014
- Search In Pics: Google Scream Room, Mr. Jingles & Jewglers Menorah
- Google Music Video Search Results Now Contain Links To Lyrics On Google Play
- Google Translate Shows Santa Claus Picture As Easter Egg
- Where’s Santa? The 2014 Santa Tracker Review, From NORAD To Google
- Useful Links For Link Builders: Our Top 10 Link Week Columns For 2014
- What I Learned In AdWords Can Help You
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Google Analytics Event Tracking: 5 Promising Business-Measuring Hacks, aimClear Blog
- Discover The Goldmine Of Remarketing Lists Using Google Analytics, PPC Hero
Blogs & Blogging
- My Blog Was Hacked & I Learned All About WordPress Vulnerabilities and Inevitability, digitalhighrise.com
- Your Content Marketing Silver Bullet: Liveblogging Events, Online Marketing Blog
- Google alerts FBI to threats allegedly made by Colo. man, 9news.com
- Alibaba Removed 90M Suspicious Listings From Its Sites Before IPO, TechCrunch
- Google, Wireless Industry Not Down With Marriott’s Wi-Fi Blocking Plan, recode.net
- At Facebook, Boss Is a Dirty Word, Wall Street Journal
- Suit over Facebook’s practice of scanning users’ messages to go forward, Ars Technica
- A Google Bus Protestor Looks Back on a Good Year, Re/code
- nRelate shuts down, leaving Outbrain, Taboola to battle Yahoo, Google, fortune.com
- Resolving to Do Better with Content Marketing, SEMrush Blog
- How Startups Can Rock Content Marketing on a Budget, SEMrush Blog
- Washington Post CMS license, Business Insider
- Why Content Marketing Is an All-In Proposition, Ad Age
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- Hybrid Usability Tests: 20 Creative Ways to Test Your Design, thenextweb.com
Display & Contextual Advertising
- Fili Wiese On Why Google Takes Millions From AdSense Publishers, Business Insider
- Google AdSense: Who’s The Client? The Advertiser, The Publisher Or Both?, Search Engine Roundtable
- 2014 Year in Review, Inside AdSense
- Five Lessons From the Top 10 Ads by Spending in 2014, Ad Age
- How To: See why you were targeted for a Facebook ad, Inside Facebook
- Interesting rationale for a city changing its domain name, Domain Name Wire
- TrafficZ Shutting Down, DomainInvesting.com
- Amazon added 10M new Prime subscribers over the holidays, could make up to $1B in annual revenue, VentureBeat
- Web Store Unloads Old Items Offline, Wall Street Journal
- China now blocks any form of access to Gmail, techinasia.com
General Internet Marketing
- How we made editing Wikipedia twice as fast, Wikimedia blog
- Microsoft is building a new browser as part of its Windows 10 push, ZDNet
Internet Marketing Industry
- Google Bars Developers From Including User Testimonials In Play Store App Descriptions, androidpolice.com
- Apple and Apps Dominated Christmas 2014, Flurry
- Flurry Insights: Apple and Apps Dominated…, Yahoo
- Google Glass Developers Asking: What Now?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Social Media Marketing Trends you Can Expect in 2015, blog.ahrefs.com
- Eric’s Archived Thoughts: Inadvertent Algorithmic Cruelty, meyerweb.com
- The Enormous Implications Of Facebook Indexing 1 Trillion Of Our Posts, TechCrunch
- Updated: Twitter recovered from login woes, GeekWire
- Why Businesses Need to Get Over Organic Social Media, blog.ahrefs.com
- The Role Of Social Networks Moving Forward, PPC Hero
- What Social Marketers Should Be Watching for 2015, The SEM Post
- 8 Steps To A Million YouTube Music Channel Views, hypebot
- YouTube Challenger Lets Music Fans Call the Shots, New York Times
- YouTube tentatively agrees to stream ‘The Interview, CNN Money
- YouTube tests use Roboto font, allgoogletesting.blogspot.com