Marketing Day: Google Data Studio, Facebook’s new retail ads & more
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- MarTech Europe preview: here’s what to expect in 6 weeks
Sep 20, 2016 by Scott Brinker
We’re only six weeks away from MarTech Europe in London, November 1-2, and I’m thrilled with the program — an incredible roster of speakers bringing deep insights and experience across the intersecting fields of marketing, technology, and management.
- Drive PLA profits with keyword segmentation
Sep 20, 2016 by Digital Marketing Depot
Over the past few years, retailers have seen steady growth in product listing ad (PLA) channels as a result of their capacity to qualify traffic. As a result, retailer investment in PLAs has grown, and PLA channels have become increasingly crowded.
- Videology joins Screenvision to make movie theater ads more targeted
Sep 20, 2016 by Barry Levine
The alliance offers a new layer of audience data and allows advertisers to buy online, TV and movie theater inventory via one platform.
- Can an ad-free, subscription-based social network exist?
Sep 20, 2016 by Patrick Armitage
Maybe the idea of an ad-free social media platform isn’t pie in the sky. Columnist Patrick Armitage believes customers would be willing to pay for a better online experience.
- What is Google Data Studio and how can you use it?
Sep 20, 2016 by Sherry Bonelli
Currently in beta, Google Data Studio allows you to create branded reports with data visualizations to share with your clients. Columnist Sherry Bonelli explains the benefits and how to try it out.
- Loyalty a key tool to drive retailer app adoption, says Belly
Sep 20, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Company launching new cloud-based enterprise loyalty platform for retailers.
- Facebook’s new retail ads show in-store product availability, can be aimed at likely visitors
Sep 20, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Facebook’s new Dynamic Ad for Retail highlights available inventory at nearby stores and can be targeted to people most likely to visit.
- Go for the gold: Mastering cross-device marketing
Sep 20, 2016 by Mike Sands
How do you win big in digital marketing? Columnist Mike Sands says it’s all about knowing your customer across devices.
- Google’s acquisition of Urban Engines points to ‘The Internet of Moving Things’
Sep 20, 2016 by Barry Levine
The two-year-old startup is attempting to add time to space data, creating a dynamic predictive engine that is more SimCity than Google Maps.
- Selling your agency, a how-to guide, Part 2: Why do agencies get acquired?
Sep 20, 2016 by David Rodnitzky
In Part 2 of a series on how to sell your agency, columnist David Rodnitzky discusses why some agencies get snapped up and others are passed over.
- Act now: your chance to learn actionable SEO and SEM tactics ends soon. SMX East is next week!
Sep 20, 2016 by Marketing Land
SMX East kicks off in just a few days! Why settle for flat SEO and SEM performance? Get actionable SEO and SEM tactics and best practices in retargeting, AdWords scripts, backlinks, adaptable content, and more. View the exceptional content in our agenda, then register for the ultimate search marketing conference today and pay only $1,895 for the total SMX experience.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Turn your online searches into in-store sales
- Bing partners with CBS Interactive in syndication deal
- AMP — Accelerated Mobile Pages — begin global rollout in Google mobile search results
- The junior data scientist’s guide to AdWords search campaign structure: how to mine hidden gems for huge wins
- What Netflix can teach us about long-tail keyword research
- New EU copyright rules: basic fairness or punitive media subsidy?
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Intent, Demographics and Micro-Moments in Analytics, www.webanalyticsworld.net
- Percolate Introduces New Analytics Platform to Offer Real-time Visibility and Reporting on Campaign, Content, and Team Performance, www.martechadvisor.com
Blogs & Blogging
- 3 Ways to Create a Killer Blog, www.blogherald.com
- How to make your WordPress blog private (and why!), www.besthostinganddesign.com
- How To Monetize Your Blog By Repurposing Content, www.problogger.net
- Facebook just bought a small hardware startup called Nascent Objects, www.recode.net
- Google gets more time to counter EU antitrust charge on Android, www.reuters.com
- Ruben Ortega Joins Pinterest as Engineering Director, Seattle Head, www.adweek.com
- Twitter to Cut Jobs in India’s Tech Hub, Wall Street Journal
- 10 Tips to Use Content to Transform Visitors into Buyers, www.searchenginejournal.com
- 3 Big Takeaways from Content Marketing World, blog.marketo.com
- 5 Tools to Help With Content Marketing, www.copypress.com
- 7 Ways To Optimize Your Content And Maximize Social Media Shares, www.jeffbullas.com
- Activate Your Fanbase With User-Generated Content, www.verticalresponse.com
- Feed the Content Monster with the Help of a Closed-Circle Content Loop, www.copyblogger.com
- How User-Generated Content Helps to Grow a Vibrant and Engaged Community, blog.bufferapp.com
- That Apple vs. Chevron Graphic is Content Marketing out of Context, www.swordandthescript.com
- Will the Content Bubble Burst? What’s Next?, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Micro and Macro Conversions | Choosing the Right CRO Metrics, vwo.com
- The Critical Questions of Customer Journey Mapping: What, Who, Where, When, Why, and How?, thedma.org
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- Brands Need to Be Able to Fail – but Not Screw Up the Customer Experience, screenwerk.com
- Choosing a Web CMS Platform: How to See Beyond the Hype, www.cmswire.com
- Empathic Design: Mapping Your Brain, Brand, and Data, conversionxl.com
- The pros and cons of using pop-ups on your website, www.vertical-leap.uk
- Why B2B Marketers Must Offer Customers a B2C Experience, www.marketingprofs.com
- The Cryptographic Key That Secures the Web Is Being Changed for the First Time, motherboard.vice.com
- A Step by Step Guide to Google Analytics Ecommerce Tracking, metrictheory.com
- Amazon sellers have to work harder to grow, www.internetretailer.com
- eBay and Sellbrite Partner to Offer Sellers Better Online Selling Experience, smallbiztrends.com
- Etsy buys Blackbird Technologies to bring AI to its search, techcrunch.com
- How authentic imagery transforms e-retail websites and ads, www.internetretailer.com
- Parents and millennials will drive online holiday purchases this year, www.internetretailer.com
- Wal-Mart completes $3 billion-plus purchase of Jet.com, bigstory.ap.org
- 4 reasons people aren’t engaging with your email, myemma.com
- 5 Email Pre-header Tips that Boost Open Rates, www.practicalecommerce.com
- 5 Simple Email Hacks You can Use for More Reads, www.searchenginejournal.com
- Email Open Rates on Mobile Devices by Industry, 2Q16, www.marketingprofs.com
- Holiday Email Marketing Q&A: Your Planning Questions Answered, movableink.com
- How to Write an Email That Gets Opened, Read, and Responded to, www.marketingprofs.com
- Study: Green Monday Emails Spark 12.4 Percent More Engagement Than Cyber Monday Emails, www.yesmail.com
General Internet Marketing
- 5 Insights from Analyzing Half a Billion Dollars in Ad Spend, www.wordstream.com
- Four ways to avoid ‘creepy’ personalisation, www.econsultancy.com
- Happy Brand Marketers Start With an Improved RFP Process, adage.com
- How to Promote Your New Podcast: 10 Effective Strategies to Try, blog.bufferapp.com
- The Little-Known Segmentation Issue that’s Directly Affecting Your Brand’s Relevance, blog.kissmetrics.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Act-On Taps Michelle Huff, Former Salesforce Executive, as Chief Marketing Officer, press.act-on.com
- Nielsen and Vision Critical Announce Strategic Alliance, www.nielsen.com
- Apple’s Siri: A Lot Smarter, But Still Kind of Dumb, www.wsj.com
- Consumers do homework on mobile, especially about apparel and groceries, www.internetretailer.com
- Is the Mobile App Already Dead? comScore Says We’re Nearing “Peak App”, smallbiztrends.com
- Smartphone Apps Crushing Mobile Web Time, www.emarketer.com
- Google Books will now make better suggestions on what to read next, TechCrunch
- What happens next? Click and hold to find out!, staff.tumblr.com
- 6 Steps to Launch a Perfect Snapchat Takeover, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Facebook Lookalikes – Make the Most out of Your Data, 3qdigital.com
- Facebook Marketing Partners Specialty Showcase: Audience Onboarding, www.facebook.com
- Facebook Reactions On the Rise, www.adweek.com
- Facebook Testing Profile Pictures in Place of Reactions Count, www.adweek.com
- Here’s an Idea to Increase Your Facebook Following This October, www.searchinfluence.com
- How Social Fits Into Your Owned Media Strategy, www.convinceandconvert.com
- How Social Media Can Inspire Useful, Engaging News Feeds at Work, www.cmswire.com
- How to Add Instagram Zoom to Your Social Strategy, simplymeasured.com
- How To Use Social Media To Source Articles & Engage Readers, www.searchenginepeople.com
- Marketers Are Getting the Snapchat Targeting Data They Want. Will That Scare Off Users?, www.adweek.com
- Publishers on their Facebook relationship: It’s complicated, digiday.com
- Social Media Automation for Businesses: A Quick Guide, www.searchrank.com
- Story Time at Pinterest, www.adweek.com
- The Evolution and Future of Social Commerce, multichannelmerchant.com
- Why Stories Are a Losing Battle in Instagram’s War With Snapchat, www.adweek.com
- How publishers repurpose video for multiple platforms, digiday.com
- How to Broadcast With YouTube Live, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Wendy’s got 300,000 views of a guy making a burger on Periscope, digiday.com
- Yahoo Messenger Adds Video to Make Sharing Even Easier, yahoo.tumblr.com
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily Marketing Land. Staff authors are listed here.